TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HellSpawn

Gambit & Rogue

Guest danielisthor

Off the top of my head, i want to believe the issue where they were shopping in New York and were ambushed by the Sentinels may have been where it was mentioned.

Guest Sassquatch

I just assumed that starvenger was talking about Uncanny X-Men #202 where Rogue's powers do go crazy. But again, her powers have gone crazy several times with the most recent being her X-Treme X-Men run where she is wearing a new sleek containment suit to keep her powers in check if I'm not mistaken.

Guest danielisthor

I was talking about the image inducer. The issue would of been in the early 100's.

Guest Sassquatch

Issue #98 is the one that you are thinking of Daniel. This was the start of the 2nd Sentinel Trilogy where the X-Men fight a rogue SHEILD agent in space who has Master Mold under his control.

Claremont and Bryne goodness.

Guest danielisthor
Issue #98 is the one that you are thinking of Daniel. This was the start of the 2nd Sentinel Trilogy where the X-Men fight a rogue SHEILD agent in space who has Master Mold under his control.

Claremont and Bryne goodness.

Right you are. one of the problems with having 99.9% of a collection sitting in a storage facility, waiting to buy a house, is you can't verify.

Guest Sassquatch

I keep all of my comic book collections (Insane number) in near-by closets and bookshelves.

A lot of my friends have their comics in storage and in about 5 or so years, those things will be in terrible condition and then they will ask why the comics went to shit and I'll just smile.

Being a comic book collector/reader for nearly 20 years, you learn some things along the way like how to keep your comic books in the best condition possible. Putting them away in storage is risky due to factors like the temperature and water/insect problems that a storage room might have.

What is your run(s) on the Uncanny X-men, Daniel?

Guest danielisthor

First comic i ever bought was X-Men #200 Trail of Magneto. The main run i have is from #122 to its current issue on Uncanny, but i have slowly bought older issues (i tend to buy myself birthday and christmas gifts) so i have smaller runs like 4-7, 10-24, most of the Neal Adams run and so on. I have both Giant sizes, all of the annuals, I probably have 2 large boxes of just Uncanny, if not more.

Guest Sassquatch

I'm surprised you haven't gouged your eyes out if you have nearly every Uncanny issue from #122 up. The Mutant Massacre is when the book just went totally downhill because Claremont felt that the X-Men had to get the shit knocked out of them in every issue but to then make the miracle comeback.

I hate any of the books from issue #281 up due to my intense dislike of the cookie cutter stories/weekly crossovers that dominated the books for nearly 10 years.

Uncanny has *improved* over the last year or so but that's not saying a lot due to the problems that still follow it (bad writing, contrived dialogue, and characters that fans do/can not connect with).

Guest starvenger
I'm surprised you haven't gouged your eyes out if you have nearly every Uncanny issue from #122 up. The Mutant Massacre is when the book just went totally downhill because Claremont felt that the X-Men had to get the shit knocked out of them in every issue but to then make the miracle comeback.

I hate any of the books from issue #281 up due to my intense dislike of the cookie cutter stories/weekly crossovers that dominated the books for nearly 10 years.

Uncanny has *improved* over the last year or so but that's not saying a lot due to the problems that still follow it (bad writing, contrived dialogue, and characters that fans do/can not connect with).

The Mutant Massacre was about when they started having the annual X-overs, wasn't it? All I remember is that at some point - more or less when The Bob took over as X-Editor - crossovermania started running wild, and has only stopped recently. Which I am quite thankful for.

Hmm, 281... IIRC, that'd be when the Blue and Gold teams debuted, and the artists started "plotting" the stories.

Cookie cutter stories I can agree with. I loved Fabian Nicieza's New Warriors work, but you could tell that it was starting to get stale at the point where he was writing something like 10 books a month. Let's not even get started on some of his more infamous "coplotters".

Anyways, I think Chuck Austen can do a decent job on Uncanny. I don't know if he can make me care about Northstar though - so far he's come off as a gay Quicksilver, which would be somewhat redundant, in my opinion.

Guest gthureson

Is Aurora still some weird-ass elf-chick bad idea, or has she reverted to her far better not playing with a full deck split personality character?

Cause I like that one better. Most interesting part about the character was she was clinically cracked in the head.

Guest Sassquatch

"The Mutant Massacre was about when they started having the annual X-overs, wasn't it?"

- starvenger

The X-Men didn't start going crossover crazy until 1988 which is ironically the year after Jim Shooter left Marvel. But the Mutant Masscre was the beginning of the flood of crossovers as the book crossed over into:

Power Pack

X-Factor

Thor

Thor...I swear, I can never picture Thor involved in an X-Men story like the Massacre. Mostly due to the fact that he would have been able to wipe out all of the Marauders that were attacking the Morlocks.

"All I remember is that at some point - more or less when The Bob took over as X-Editor - crossovermania started running wild, and has only stopped recently. Which I am quite thankful for."

- starvenger

The X-Men crossovers were getting out of hand at around the time that DeFucko took over as EIC. But yeah, things got out of control when Herpes took over as EIC in late '94.

"Cookie cutter stories I can agree with. I loved Fabian Nicieza's New Warriors work, but you could tell that it was starting to get stale at the point where he was writing something like 10 books a month. Let's not even get started on some of his more infamous "coplotters"."

- starvenger

Nicieza reminds me of Vince Russo. He has all of these ideas but he needs someone to filter out all of the crap so you don't end up with a Judy Bagwell on a pole match. I think Nicieza is a fine writer when he has someone helping him out with the writing duties but when he is on his own, look out for trouble.

"Anyways, I think Chuck Austen can do a decent job on Uncanny. I don't know if he can make me care about Northstar though - so far he's come off as a gay Quicksilver, which would be somewhat redundant, in my opinion."

- starvenger

The way that Northstar has been handled over the years in regards to his homosexuality reminds me of Pedro from MTV's Real World several years ago who was gay and was being made out to look like some hero for the gays when in fact he was a complete asshole who treated people like shit and bitched all the time. Yet he was pushed down everyone's throats due to him being a homo. Just another reason why I despise Judd Winick as well for pushing Pedro's dead carcass down everyone's throat.

Guest Sassquatch

"Is Aurora still some weird-ass elf-chick bad idea, or has she reverted to her far better not playing with a full deck split personality character?"

- gthureson

Aurora is still everyone's favorite mutant with more personalities than Rosanne.

Guest starvenger
"All I remember is that at some point - more or less when The Bob took over as X-Editor - crossovermania started running wild, and has only stopped recently. Which I am quite thankful for."

- starvenger

The X-Men crossovers were getting out of hand at around the time that DeFucko took over as EIC.  But yeah, things got out of control when Herpes took over as EIC in late '94.

Actually, I meant when he took over for Ann Nocenti. Obviously the final (editorial) word comes down from DeFalco, but I'm sure The Bob could have come up with other ways to sell books. Oh wait, he did. By adding 300 different X-Titles into the mix...

Nicieza reminds me of Vince Russo.  He has all of these ideas but he needs someone to filter out all of the crap so you don't end up with a Judy Bagwell on a pole match.  I think Nicieza is a fine writer when he has someone helping him out with the writing duties but when he is on his own, look out for trouble.

I can see where the analogy comes from. Concentrating on one or two books, it's much easier to stay focused on what you're doing. If you're doing 20 different stories, there's gonna be a lot of crap that slips through. Actually that's one area where I think New Warriors was good. There seemed to be (for the most part) a lot of synergy between the creators and the editors. Mind you, that didn't exactly translate to sales, but that happens.

The way that Northstar has been handled over the years in regards to his homosexuality reminds me of Pedro from MTV's Real World several years ago who was gay and was being made out to look like some hero for the gays when in fact he was a complete asshole who treated people like shit and bitched all the time.

As long as you're ranting about it I should point out that I don't want to see Northstar doing the flamboyant "I'm here and I'm queer" act in the comics. I'm just asking that he have a more distinct identity than "I'm fast and have a dry sense of humour."

Guest Sassquatch

From most of the reports and rumors I have read, it appears that Northstar *will* be the token gay guy in ever sense.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

Guest danielisthor
From most of the reports and rumors I have read, it appears that Northstar *will* be the token gay guy in ever sense.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

maybe this is an attempt to bring in gay readership. He can be so openly gay, monopolize most of the issue kiss and have sex with other gay hero's and it can resemble every episode of every year of the Real World on MTV.

*note the heavy sarcasm*

Guest Sassquatch

Marvel putting a third-stringer loser on one of Marvel's most popular super team's is just reeking of desperation and trying to cater to another audience which in this case is the gay community. Also trying to preach acceptance in a comic book like the X-Men will most likely fall on deaf ears because no one gives a shit about Northstar. Yet he will be pushed down everyone's throats because he is "different" then the rest of the team and will most likely be pimped for a couple months like Marvel has done in the past with such characters. If Marvel's intentions were noble then I would not mind Northstar being made a member of the X-Men. But they are not and Northstar has been a nobody in the MU for nearly 10 years now and all of a sudden Marvel decided to make a loser like Northstar into a member of the most prominent super team in comic books. Trying to make some extra bucks is all it boils down to by causing controversy. I guess Marvel took notes from Judd Winick in "How to push a gay nobody that no one cares about down the fans throats."

If this were 1992, Marvel would have put out an issue with Northstar where he deals with AIDS and saves some kids from drug dealers who are also racists that hate people who are "different." But then we all find out that the drug dealers are really aliens who plan on taking over the tobacco industry so they could add more carcinogens into cigarettes.

Guest danielisthor

ugh - just read X-Treme X-Men and to go back to the Rogue/Gambit issue.

Spoiler coming.

Both are powerless and are leaving the X-Men for a sabbatical (i guess). Storms in a wheelchair, Lifeguard and Thunderbird have left as well.

Guest gthureson

Okay, its OT, but I have to ask....

Who or what the hell is a Lifeguard?

Who came up with this character, especially the name?

Have they had their fingernails removed with pliers yet?

I don't care if its the most indepth character ever....he/she/it is named 'Lifeguard'.

I expect someone wearing an orange bathing suit and carrying a flotation device.

Guest HellSpawn

are they.. R & G leaving the X-men together or evryone by themselves?

Why are they powerless?

Please

Guest danielisthor
Okay, its OT, but I have to ask....

Who or what the hell is a Lifeguard?

Who came up with this character, especially the name?

Have they had their fingernails removed with pliers yet?

I don't care if its the most indepth character ever....he/she/it is named 'Lifeguard'.

I expect someone wearing an orange bathing suit and carrying a flotation device.

She was actually in the beginning a lifeguard in Australia or some south pacific island. She and her brother are both mutants and get this, their father was the head of the Australian mob. He kicks the bucket, the kids are next and the X-Treme team saves them. Then they stop an alien invasion of Madripoor. (really, why would you stop it. really, its Madripoor, the scum island of the earth. really why?) and it turns out that not only are they mutants, but also half Shiar. and royalty to freaking boot. ugh.

Guest danielisthor

Rogue and Gambit went on their own. Followed by Lifeguard and Thunderbird.

R & G lost their powers in a near death situation when Rogue pulled Gambit from the brink of death. There was no greater explanation as to why.

Guest Sassquatch

Having no explanation for why something happens is on par with the X-Men and I am not surprised what with Claremont as the writer.

How the (above average) mighty have fallen.

Guest pochorenella
R & G lost their powers in a near death situation when Rogue pulled Gambit from the brink of death. There was no greater explanation as to why.

This is inaccurate. It was not exactly unexplained. Gambit was used as a conduit for an other-dimension portal this bad guy Khan needed for his planned earth invasion, and it was draining his powers and life-force. When Rogue came to his rescue she couldn't spring him off the trap so she was trying to protect him but at the same time the portal was using her energy as well, being that she had Gambit's powers imprinted on her too. Ultimately, I think this caused both their powers to dissappear, at least for the time being.

See? It WAS explained.

Guest starvenger

This is inaccurate. It was not exactly unexplained. Gambit was used as a conduit for an other-dimension portal this bad guy Khan needed for his planned earth invasion, and it was draining his powers and life-force. When Rogue came to his rescue she couldn't spring him off the trap so she was trying to protect him but at the same time the portal was using her energy as well, being that she had Gambit's powers imprinted on her too. Ultimately, I think this caused both their powers to dissappear, at least for the time being.

See? It WAS explained.

I guess it was, yet somehow the explanation seems... lacking in something.

Anyways, is this Thunderbird III or Thunderbird II (Warpath) that we're talking about? And if it's III, then who is he?

Guest danielisthor

This would be T-Bird 3, T-Bird 1 is still dead, T-Bird 2/Warpath now works for the Asian version of the Xavier School.

Guest danielisthor

See? It WAS explained.

Actually i was sitting there wondering about the whole thing and couldn't remember even reading how the story arc finished, went back and i found out, i never received the issue.

Guest Sassquatch

Don't you *hate* it when that happens? You have nearly the entire storyarc complete when all of a sudden you realize you are missing the first or last part of the story. I can recall that happening to me many times over the years.

Claremont's contract with Marvel is *supposedly* going to run out by the start of next year and it looks like Claremont will be the last bit of trash from the Harras regime to be swept under the carpet.

The man is a joke and I say this coming from one of his biggest fans when him and Bryne were working on the Uncanny X-Men. But right now Chris needs to take a very long vacation or quit writing all together. He is at that age now where you do not change your ways as a writer/artist and now he looks totally out of place amongst today's writers.

Guest pochorenella

I was recently catching up with my reading on Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, and X-Treme X-Men, and I came up with this shocking revelation (WARNING!!! MAY BE SPOILERS!!!):

The Beast is gay!!!

That's right! Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy is gay! A womanizer in the nth degree, he now finds himself doubting his sexual preferences. Could this be a direct result of his further mutation? Could this be a publicity stunt?Stay tuned.

So Northstar isn't the only prominent gay character in the Marvel Universe.

Guest danielisthor

I was recently catching up with my reading on Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, and X-Treme X-Men, and I came up with this shocking revelation (WARNING!!! MAY BE SPOILERS!!!):

The Beast is gay!!!

That's right! Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy is gay! A womanizer in the nth degree, he now finds himself doubting his sexual preferences. Could this be a direct result of his further mutation? Could this be a publicity stunt?Stay tuned.

So Northstar isn't the only prominent gay character in the Marvel Universe.

actually if you continue reading in the next issue or so, Jean read his mind and told him that he has no homosexual tendencies at all. he was trying to find a way to "break up" or get Trish out of his life, so to speak.

Guest starvenger
The man is a joke and I say this coming from one of his biggest fans when him and Bryne were working on the Uncanny X-Men. But right now Chris needs to take a very long vacation or quit writing all together. He is at that age now where you do not change your ways as a writer/artist and now he looks totally out of place amongst today's writers.

I feel sorry for Chris. It's like watching a boxer past his prime make that one last, desparate comeback, with everyone wanting him to win but knowing that he'll lose.