TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 1000 Faces

Why oh why ...

Guest Goodear

A cruiserweight division is an unnessesary crutch that needlessly seperates the federation for no real benefit.  If you want to have Hurricane take on Tajiri, go right ahead, but to push it as another division entirely is rather pointless in my veiw.  By not making a cruiserweight division, it frees the cruiserweights to move higher in the card much easier than it was for their counterparts to do so in WCW.  The guys that are really good are going to climb in the rankings regardless, so why hamstring them with the cruiserweight label?

Guest Mystery Eskimo

Well, because a cruiserweight division would have a lot of great, potential ****+ matches.

I'd rather see Kidman, Helms, Chavo etc wrestle each other to the end of time then get a push and have to feud with...yes, you guessed it, Test :)

Guest Brian

Aside from Jericho, have any cruiserweights gotten a serious push in the WWF? Legitimate wins? Consistent TV time?

Guest Nater

A friend of mine who would only watch WWF for the longest time finally watched a WCW and well he was simply blown away by the cruiserweights.

Everybody complains about Joe Heavyweight only having a handful of moves and an endless supply of headturning punches. Thats simply because it can be dangerous for 230+ lbs. guys to be flipping off the top rope or even a second rope drop kick (Sid). Well maybe they arent trained enough? But maybe its just the way that Vince has been doing things ever since Hogan and Dibiase. Sure the characters have more attitude now, but really its the same punch/punch kick/kick stuff with exception of say Foley or any other large bump/spotter taking huge bumps from yet another punch/kicker

Maybe cruisers arent pushed because when somebody tunes in to wrestling and sees a little guy working over somebody, the mark thinks to himself "why dont the big guy just pick him up and toss him like a doll?" because there is something that Vince figured out when it comes to creating an image of a fighter and so on, Big guys are what people expect to win. Blah blah people know that skill and ability come more into play with it, but Size is a psychological modivator.

As for RVD? Maybe he got over because he added flavor to the stale product.. seeing some technique and agility is refreshing after watching Austin/HHH/Rock/Angle/Taker all punch and twist for the past 10 years of tyranny.

I wanna see Tajiri and Kidman fight over Torrie :)

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Yes.

That is exactly what got RVD over.

No one who is currently on TV looks even remotely similar to him.

Tajiri and Kidman could have a GREAT feud.  That's a series I wouldn't mind stretching 3 ppvs...instead we get Edge vs. Regal.

Boo

Guest Coffin Surfer

I agree completely with whoever said, the best way to get cruiserweights over is to simply let them wrestle.  I also agree that limiting them to a cruiserweight division would hold them back.  I say let a crusierweight get over by fueding with other crusierweights, and when the time is right put him an a littleman/big man match.  People forget though, that some of the most over and best wrestlers in history hovered around 220-230.  HBK, Bret Hart, Ricky Steamboat, you get the idea.

Also, how about the heavyweight spotmachine Mike Awesome.  He is perfectly suited for the WWF's style. Kick, Puch, Spot, Kick, Punch, Spot.  Let him tear lose on somebody that can take a bump and he'd be SUPER over in no time.  Regardless of mic skills.  

If Goldberg and Ultimate Warrior has taught us anything, its that any notalent muscle man can get SUPER over by simply squashing jobbers. But once they made it to the Main Event they was exposed as being the stale boring workers they are, and the fans lost interest.  Unlike Warrior and Goldberg, Awesome has the talent and the ability to put on *** to **** matches, that could easily keep him over with the fans and avoid their problem of becoming stale and one dimensional.  WWF made a big mistaken not letting him work any matches.

Guest razazteca

If the non-heavyweight division is going to be pushed

1) first thing to be done must be getting the Lightweight title away from X-Pac da cry baby.  He must job the title to somebody like Hurricane or Christian or Rey Jr if he ever shows up.

2) get a tv show to showcase the talent Sunday Heat or Excess are the options but they might have to change the formats and announcers......bring in Mike Tenay and Cyrus.

3) matches should have time limits, remember that?  With this the matches could last as long as there is heat, and a time limit draw could be a good thing.

4) never ever and I mean ever have a squash match against someone like Nash or Big Show.

sidenote:  "Everywhere I go I see the same ho" 2Pac

And Yes RVD is a glorified lightweight he belongs here not clashing his style against the Carni Champ Regal

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Regal clashes styles with everyone.

Don't blame RVD...if anything his serviceable match with Goldust should cause you not to judge too quickly.

Guest goodhelmet

"And Yes RVD is a glorified lightweight he belongs here not clashing his style against the Carni Champ Regal"

If RVD is a glorified lightweight then so is HBK, Jericho, Benoit, Ricky Steamboat and a host of others. I agree with bps that rvd could get a watchable match out of Regal, just not a MOTY out of him.

I can't wait for Benoit to get back so Regal can be carried to a **** match, finally.