TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kotzenjunge

Best Rapper

Guest Kotzenjunge

Who is the current best rapper out right now? Who's got the best rhymes, message, attitude, all rolled into one?

My choice is DMX. He keeps it super real, presents things in a blunt manner, addresses societal problems, and all while not missing or stretching a rhyme to fit.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest Incandenza

I would NOT choose DMX. There's nothing wrong with his vocal style, but lyrically, his vocabulary is limited. When considering the "best" rapper, it is important to include their freestyle abilities, and DMX falters in that department.

Best rapper today? Black Thought from the Roots. He encompasses everything a good rapper needs: wide vocabulary, clever rhymes and GREAT freestyler. Seriously, if you've ever seen the Roots live, this guy smokes at freestyling. Plus, he can get socially conscious, too, so Black Thought is an all around terrific package.

Guest Midnight Express83

Black Thought is great.

But my choice goes to Slim Shady. his lyrics are either deep or funny. And he has made in impact in such a short time with talent.

Guest ant_7000

I like Black Thought, he is so underrated because he raps socially conscious, I can't wait for their new album to drop. (OCT 29) He makes the Roots without him the Rapper Bands/Go Go music wouldn't be able take off it has. But, I have to give it to Eminem right now, and Nas, Jay-Z, and Scarface albums are hot and everything but Im still goin with Em. I can'twait for Rakim's new joint to come out in 2003.

Guest razazteca

Mos Def has a smooth style

Chuck D has a message

Eminem has shock value

Method Man & Red Man are the best tag team that always have a wrestler in a video and have a flowing style that few can touch, and the beats compiment the vocals

Guest permagrinning

Slick Rick the ruler. He's old school but still better than what's out there.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Since I don't listen to much rap nowadays, I have to go with back in the day...

KRS-One

Guest Banky

The Gift of Gab is on point right now. Also, NAS has stepped back on top of the rap game. Black Thought is really really good, there just hasn't been anything from him in a while.

Check out Del Tha Funky Homosapien while you are at it.

Guest Perfect_Bo

Best Rapper...this is my catagory because I was born in this...

Right now, I would have to say Eminem...many people hate him (Black people) because MTV over hypes him...it could be true or not, but no one cannot deny that this 'white' boy has the skills to kill any body behind the mike...

Another person that people aren't familar with is 50 cent...not because he signed with Slim, but I heard this guy freestyle (Battle) and oh boy...this guy is nice, dont sleep on him.

Nas is another one that has the talent...Illmatic was the best album he ever came out because he was in his realest...and now with these 'lost tapes' album in the stores...it's going to hit hard. 'poppa was a playa', 'drunk by my self' and others.

Another person that I feel is underrated is Mos Def...he has the vocabulary to hurt a dumb man's mind...this guy flows sick.

Those are my chosen few...

B "Love Rap, because I'm from where it started" O

Guest ant_7000

Hold up Bo, I disagree with you with Eminem and black people hatin on him. Myself and a lot of black people like his shit, man. I think white people hate him more because of the fact that he's doing "black music" or listening to what media says about him without actually listening to his shit. 50 Cent is hot thou I just "Guess Who's Back" album that shit is hot, If Ja Rule and Irv Gotti wasn't tryin to blackball him from gettin deals, 50 would get some shine.

Guest Perfect_Bo

ant...I'm not saying that all black people hate on him...but I have some friends that just aint feelin him because he's white... duke keep saying that this rap game should belong to the minorities and what not...I feel that he's stupid, I disagree with him...his argument is because Eminem won the best video award on the VMA's... I personally think that Nas should of won it with 'One mic' but they gave it to Eminem, and he say that they gave it to him is because he's white...I dont know what's poppin with him...but that's what he said.

50...I dont know why them niggas in Murder be hatin...sometimes it makes me think and wonder if those were the asses that got 50 popped...When I heard that 50 was back, I said it's a rap... Rumors have said that Em' signed 50 because 50 was about to get on Em' (Battle wise) and Em' was afraid...

Dont know if that's right, but I would love to see that battle.

Bo

Guest BottleRocket
He makes the Roots without him the Rapper Bands/Go Go music wouldn't be able take off it has.

I completely disagree with your statement.

Ever heard of Stetsasonic? They were using the live hip-hop band format during the early 80's. Daddy-O, Prince Paul, Wise, DBC, Delite and Fruitkwan scored hits like "Sally" and "Talkin' All That Jazz" before the Roots were even formed.

And in terms of Go-Go, the Roots have had virtually no impact on the rise of the Go-Go scene. Go-Go bands have been popular in DC for over twenty-five years.

Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers pioneers the style in the 70's and bands like Experience Unlimited, Trouble Funk, and Rare Essence were gigging throughout the city during the late 70's and early 80's.

Kurtis Blow collaborated with E.U. on his 1982 single "Party Time" and artists like Salt-n-Pepa, Kid-n-Play, the Real Roxanne, L.L. Cool J., Heavy D., and Doug E. Fresh all sampled go-go records during the 80's.

Def Jam signed the Junkyard Band in 1986 and released the 12" single "Sardines" and E.U. scored a national hit with "Da BUTT" from Spike Lee's "Skool Daze" soundtrack.

By the '90s, second-generation groups like the Northeast Groovers, the Huck-a-Bucks, Pure Elegance and the Backyard Band revitalized the genre and made the music theirs.

And The Roots had nothing to do with any of it.

Guest cynicalprofit

Dre and Snoop, like the only 2 ppl from death row to still be alive and doing well(atleast that i know of) and they survived the East vs West dealio.

Talent wise, Eminem, while hes not always serious, he can rhyme, flow, and freestyle.

Guest Kibagami

I mark for KRS-One.

That will be all from me.

::scampers back to his ska mixes::

S.

Guest Perfect_Bo

OMG Silent...you made me remember the BRONX native KRS1...He has talent...dont know why people aint feelin him, but he has talent...

I feel sorry for Nelly (Who can't rhyme for shit) because KRS is going to murder is punk ass.

B "Representin the BX like KRSone does." O

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

DMX is the best rapper going right now. He's got a great delivery, good beats, and decent subject matter. Dre still rules when he wants to. Snoop is also still good. Eminem can be good, as he has good delivery and skils, but his subject matter generally blows, and all his feuds either suck (vs. boy bands, Christina, Moby, ICP, etc.) or they piggyback on Dre's feuds (vs. Jermaine Dupri).

Guest RobJohnstone
DMX is the best rapper going right now. He's got a great delivery, good beats, and decent subject matter. Dre still rules when he wants to. Snoop is also still good. Eminem can be good, as he has good delivery and skils, but his subject matter generally blows, and all his feuds either suck (vs. boy bands, Christina, Moby, ICP, etc.) or they piggyback on Dre's feuds (vs. Jermaine Dupri).

rappers need feuds to get over? hahahahah that's someignorance. BTW.... i'll go with either rakim or kool keith for best rapper. Anyone who says dmx or eminem just didn't listen to hip hop back in the day.

--Rob

Guest Banky

Everyone is saying DMX, Eminem, ect as best rappers, you guys need to broaden your horizons. There is so much hip hop out there, not just the mainstream stuff. There are many underground mc's who SLAY DMX for skills. If you guys want to get some stuff get

Hieroglyphics

Company Flow

Living Legends

Talib Kwali & Mos Def

Common

Roots (as mentioned earlier in here)

J5

Blackalicious

Those are some examples of hip hop that surpasses much of the mainstream - so check it out....if you care.

Guest ant_7000
Everyone is saying DMX, Eminem, ect as best rappers, you guys need to broaden your horizons. There is so much hip hop out there, not just the mainstream stuff. There are many underground mc's who SLAY DMX for skills. If you guys want to get some stuff get

Hieroglyphics

Company Flow

Living Legends

Talib Kwali & Mos Def

Common

Roots (as mentioned earlier in here)

J5

Blackalicious

Those are some examples of hip hop that surpasses much of the mainstream - so check it out....if you care.

The some rappers you mentioned are nice and all. But not everybody get the attention as some of the rappers thats heard all the time. But I do like Mos Def thou but can't find his "Black on Both Sides" album anywhere thou, I always liked Common (Chitown), Especially that new single with Erykah Badu "Love of my Life" (Ode to Hip Hop) im feelin that. I think Kweli is goin to be huge rapper soon as the radio starts playing him. As DMX, I like him on every album he's put out he seems different and not the same style that some rappers (Nelly, Ja) don't change.

Guest NoCalMike

If you are asking who the best rapper is based on Substance and Style, rather than style alone. I would have to say that any rapper featured on Top 40 stations isn't even remotely close to the underground hip hop artists featured on free speech radio stations all around the country. Eminem's lyrics cannot hold a candle to ANY of the guys on free speech radio. I am not sure any names of these arists, so I know the credibility in my response will be questioned, but just tune into your local college/free speech radio station. Turn off the BULLSHIT on clear channel network radio and try something new. Trust me, when you hear the intelligence and quality of this rap, you will literally be ready to throw out almost all of your current collection of MTV brand/top 40 rap arists.....

Guest Reject6:19

Best Rapper out right now.......

50 Cent

Nuff' Said

G-Unit.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"OMG Silent...you made me remember the BRONX native KRS1...He has talent...dont know why people aint feelin him, but he has talent..."

Hey, I mentioned him b4 Silent. Quit playa hatin'.

Yo yo yo...

Guest TheHulkster

I wasn't really a big fan of Rap untill a few years ago. I was more of a Rock fan. One day my friend popped DMX in at a party, and while I heard a few of the songs before, I never really listened to the whole album or payed attention to the lyrics. Anyway, once I was done listening to it and a few other DMX cds, I realized that he was a really talented artist and I was converted. As far as good rappers go, my current favs are El-P, Nappy Roots, and Cee lo.

Guest TheArchiteck

Hmmm...didn't know people actually considered DMX one the best. Eminem, I basically cannot stand. Only a few of songs appeal to me. His rhymes are alright, but not one of the best. I just don't like the guy.

This is my list....

Mos Def- Been my alltime favorite..but i ain't feeling his rock shit.

Mystic (Best female MC..hands down)

Slum Village (rhymes ain't great, but their style is different...and tight)

Talib Kweli- getting better and better.

Guest Perfect_Bo

DMX as the best rapper? I'm sorry, but most of his stuff sound the same... "Grrrrr" shit is real" that's BS to me...

Now, we can go underground if you want...there's a cat out there, his name is Graf or something like that...that cat is nice...I heard him in a DJ freestyle tape, and of shit.

There's a underground cat (Forgot his name thought) that just killed DMX using his own beats...that dude is nice.

Nature has some nice lyrics, aint the hottest though.

Freeway is just annoying.

Beanie is toooo gangsta.

Nas is just a poet.

Ja Rule suck

Nelly Suck

Ludacris SUCK

Fat Joe got better ever since Pun died, but he's still not up to that level...if Pun was still alive, shit, a lot of rappers would be crying.

50 cent is nasty...that's all I have to say about that.

Another cat that's nice, too bad he got punk out by Fat Joe is Cuban Link...he has a tight flow.

Mos Def, nice

Common is nice.

Stan Spit...he's nice.

There's quite a few that people dont know about that's nice.

Bo

Guest Incandenza

I beg to differ about Ludacris. I'd say he's one of the better mainstream rappers out there.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I feel like adding that I can't wait for the new Talbi Kweli. I picked up wax "Waitin' for the DJ" yesterday, and it--as well as the "Guerilla Monsoon Rap" B-side--rocks da hizzay, as the kids would say.