TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSMAdmin

The Last Word III

Guest TSMAdmin

Thoughts on the Week in Wrestling:color>

I’d like to offer my condolences to the Smith and Hart families, after the recent passing of a true wrestling legend, David Smith, better known as the British Bulldog. Bulldog was one of the greatest British wrestlers ever to live, and one of the greatest wrestlers to never get his hands on the coveted World Title. Thank you Davey Boy, for leaving us behind with great matches, like your classic match against Bret Hart at Summerslam 1992, in the highlight of your career, defeating your now former brother-in-law for the Intercontinental title in front of 83,000 screaming hometown fans. Oh, and of course your infamous work with Dynamite Kid, in arguably the greatest tag team ever assembled. RIP, Davey Boy Smith, you’ll truly be missed.

Judgment Day was solid if you ask me, better than I expected at least. RVD vs. Guererro was an improvement on their Backlash match, and was a solid opener. I’d like to see the IC title defended later on the card though, but what can you do? Edge vs. Angle was a good match, better than all of their previous meetings. Looks like Edge is in line for a huge push. I’m no Edge-head, but its better to push him then some of the other guys that have been getting spots near the top. The Hell in a Cell match was the make or break point of the PPV, and IMO it made it. Not as good as some of the past Cell matches, like Michaels vs. Taker and Foley vs. Taker, but still solid, and proved that HHH can still go when he wants to. Shame Jericho had to J-O-B, but who didn’t see that coming? I’m sure even Jim Neidhart did! Shame that Tim White took the biggest bump in the match though… Austin vs. Flair and Show was bad, but not as bad as I thought, and Hogan vs. The Undertaker was atrocious. I was surprised Hogan would be happy with a one-month reign. At least we got that over with quickly. The show had its boring moments, but there were enough bright spots to save it from being a full on crap-fest.

Looks like the dirtiest old man outside of Jerry Lawler is back to host Confidential, Mean Gene Okerlund. Eh, I don’t really see him doing any harm, I’m kind of excited to see him back. “YOU KNOW SOMETHIN, MICHAEL COLE…” just doesn’t sound right…

Austin looks to be feuding with Eddy Guererro soon. I like the idea, even if it is another step down on the card for Austin. Better than facing the nWo 8000 times in one month with Bradshaw, at least. Should make for some great matches. Hopefully we’ll see shades of the OLLLLLDDDD Stone Cold in these matches. Oh, and they better not be squash matches either. It’s refreshing to see a main eventer feuding with a midcarder every now and then.

Nash and X-Pac almost quit… DAMMIT, we were THIS CLOSE to getting rid of them!

Anyway, let’s rock this column to Russia!

Wrestling and Religion DO mix!color>

Hello, my name is FakeRazor, and I’m a crapaholic. Yes folks, around 2 years ago, I was INJECTED with a lethal addiction. The addiction was to the late, great website, Wrestlecrap.com. Owned and maintained by Randy “Real Deal” Reynolds, the site took a look back at some of the worst gimmicks and moments in the history of professional wrestling. I’m sure many of you have heard of, or even had the privilege of viewing the site yourself. Anyway, one of the proverbs the great RD had written was “Wrestling and Religion don’t mix.” Normally, I agree with you, RD, but in this case, I must interject!

Yes, usually wrestling and religion don’t mix, case in point, the Sisters of Love, Brother Love, and even an entire fed based on religion (yes, you heard me, an entire RELIGIOUS fed… the CWF, check out The Weird World of Wrestling for more on that). There is one very special exception to the rule though, and he’s running wild throughout the Smackdown roster every week.

Yes, that’s right folks, I’m talking about Vince McMahon’s spiritual advisor, D-Von Dudley. Accompanied to the ring by Deacon Bautista (Levithan), the gimmick sounds like crap on paper, and by all means, SHOULD be crap. A wrestling minister, complete with a collection plate, organ music, and that white collar thingy. The gimmick sounds like it has wrestlecrap written ALL over it.

I don’t know what it is though, brothers, but I really seem to dig the gimmick. D-Von seems to pull it off with such eloquence, and his crusade on Smackdown is one of the most interesting things on WWE TV these days. Whenever I hear “OHH TESTIFY!” glaring over the speakers, my spirit is lifted. Certainly more uplifting than Brother Love yelling “IIIII LOOOOOOVVEE YOUUU!!!” Whenever I see the collection plate going around, I wish I could be there to contribute to D-Von’s fund. More interesting then some cross-dressing nuns! D-Von must be commended; he has taken a dead end gimmick, and made it a hit, at least in my eyes.

I’m not saying that D-Von should be given a monster push or anything, but he’s entertaining as a side attraction on the Smackdown brand. Maybe he and Leviathan will make a decent tag team. God knows that the WWE NEEDS teams. Need proof? Look no further than the tag team champions… Rikishi and Rico! D-Von and Bautista would be a welcome addition to the tag division if you ask me. It’d be interesting to see how the Deacon is in the ring also.

D-Von pulls of the religious schtick with such finesse, finesse that Brother Love lacked, finesse that Mosh and Thrasher lacked... finesse I haven't seen since Jake Roberts' religious gimmick in 1996, probably the only other entertaining religious gimmick ever. D-Von is far better off than his "half brother", Bubba with the Dancing gimmick, if you ask me. Neither are as well off as they were as a tag team, but I'll be the first to admit that the Dudley Boys were getting incredibly stale. I'm actually beginning to warm up to the idea that the WWE is trying something new with the two of them, even if neither will amount to anything big as singles competitors.

Sure, many of you will point and laugh at me as I cheer on Pastor D-Von Dudley. Many of you will label the gimmick as crap, and a disgrace to a legend in tag team wrestling, D-Von Dudley. But in my opinion, a goofy gimmick like D-Von’s is a nice addition to the Smackdown brand. Today’s more adult-based WWE programming could use a little something different, and that something different is D-Von Dudley. Almost a throwback to the ol’ gimmick years of the WWE, in the mid-90’s. Sure, the idea might be outright dumb, but hey, it’s entertaining. With Leviathan on his side, D-Von is someone to watch out for on the Smackdown roster, even out of sheer curiosity, just to see what his lackey Bautista will do this week. Hey, he’s more entertaining then Hulk Hogan…

OH TESTIFY!!!color>

“Longfellow couldn’t have said it better”

FakeRazorcolor>

Feedback? Hate Mail? Contact his Fakeness at [email protected]

Have an undying urge to talk to FakeRazor and others like him on a regular basis? Then head over to whacked Out wrestling, the best damn wrestling board out there!

Sign in to follow this