TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Choken One

Nascar Points Race

Guest Choken One

While the race sunday itself lacked the usual dramatic finish Talladega is historically known for...the REAL drama started before the Green flag dropped.

Starting with Sterling Marlin, whom led the points for a long duration of the season bowed out of the points race and the season thanks to a near crippling Vertebre injury.

The Rookie senstation nabbed first place in Points from Grizzled vet, Mark Martin but He wouldn't hold it for long.

Going into the race, it was tight between the top 6 drivers (Johnson, Martin, Stewart, Gordon, Wallace and Newman) Two rookies in the top 6? 5 titles represented here...However on prior to the opening lap, Outside pole sitter Mark Martin steering locked up and crashed into the #48 Lowes Chevy, driven by Johnson. each driver quickly lost postion as they both had to pit and they each fell a lap down thus ending their flirtation for leadership. This opened the doors for Defending Nascar champion Jeff Gordon to gain huge ground but even the champion was prone to futility as his engine blew mid way through the race and he would befall to the back to the end. Which killed his shot at gaining huge ground. However, the one who saved himself from points disapointment was Tony Stewart whom decided against challenging eventful winner Dale Earnhardt Jr, (his 3rd straight Talladega victory) and finished second and gain large ground and took OVER the points lead from Johnson and nows leads with a cool 78 points...

Although with only Six races left, the once TIGHT points race has be diluted to a fight between 3 drivers...

Here's the current standings after yesterday's strange day...

1. Stewart

2. Martin -78

3. Johnson -82

4. Newman -137

5. R. Wallace -147

6. Kenseth -201

7. J. Gordon -201

8. Elliot -229

9. R. Rudd -246

10. Marlin -255 (Out for season)

11.Busch -324

12. Earnhardt Jr. -364

So, it's gone from a tight 6 driver battle to 4 legit challengers...It should however be a great finish to see if a rOokie winds up taking the Title.

Guest hardyz1

I'm rooting for Tony Stewart. I haven't watched more than a minute of NASCAR this year, but anyone who causes as much trouble as he does and punches photographers is cool with me.

Guest Vern Gagne

Can they have a tie for the points or do they have a tie breaker if something like that happens.

I wouldn't mind Stewart winning. He kind of looks like me, anyone except Mark Martin would be fine.

Guest Choken One

Tie-Breakers.

this the order of tie-breakers.

Wins

Top 5's

Top 10's

Least DNF's

Poles.

Actually, NASCAR community wants Martin to win because he has been close about 4 times...Started in Early 80's could not afford the cars...went to ASA for about 5 years and rebuilt himself...I'm fine with any one other then Jeff Gordan V.2.

Guest Kotzenjunge

Yeah, Martin's been my man ever since I started following NASCAR, and seeing him come up short every year is starting to wear on me. I wouldn't mind Stewart winning, but I really don't want Gordon.

I haven't watched a race since football started though.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge