TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest goodhelmet

2002 MOTYC

Guest goodhelmet

There's already been two months into the year and I can't recall one MOTYC from the WWF thus far. Can anyone else make a case for one?

If not, what matchup do you think has the best potential for a MOTY and why?

Guest Tony149

Nope. There hasn't been anything close to a MOTYC. I really don't see any in the future.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I haven't seen one yet.

WrestleMAnia doesn't appear too MOTYC friendly either...

It's going to be a tough year for good wrestling...maybe if Benoit comes back (after he shakes off ring rust) he can have some good matches with Jericho or Angle...

Guest goodhelmet

Not to be fantasy booker here but when Benoit returns, I believe RVD-Benoit could possibly be up there if built right.

Possibly Austin-flair if Flair has one more MOTY left in him

What if the WWF pits Booker against Benoit again?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I'd like to see RVD vs. Benoit.

If they got 15 minutes...it could be a very good very quick match.

Benoit just has to pull RVD aside and explain psychology and long term selling before the match.

Guest 5_moves_of_doom

Jericho vs. Rock at RR is the only match that has even come close, and that was only like a ***1/2 star match. Great match and all, but realizing that that's been the best match of the year sends shivers down my spine.

Guest goodhelmet

"Benoit just has to pull RVD aside and explain psychology and long term selling before the match."

we had mentioned on a prior post how RVD displayed psychology in his match with Jericho at Unforgiven. I think his style has grown leaps and bounds since he has arrived

That's why I'm so eager to see a 20 inute Storm-RVD match to see how far they've really come since they left the pits of hell.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

RVD kind of blew it in the Goldust match, though.

7 minutes working on the back...for nothing.

Guest TheDames7

Had he hit the FrogSplash on GD while he was face down....it definitely would have made sense.  

Dames

Guest goodhelmet

in all fairness to puff the magic dragon, goldust has been known for some of the worst matches ever. Feuds with UT, Ahmed, Warrior and all post Goldust WCW stuff sucked shit.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

I agree with match quality picking up once Benoit comes back, but there are some things that really scare me right now.

1) Austin's sleepwalking because of the NWO- It's getting embarassing to have an unmotivated Austin out there right now. Someone needs to relight the fire up his ass that he had when he came back.

2) HHH's slo-mo offense- Yes he's bulky and ring rust is a bitch, but he's gotta start pushing it a bit further because if he's as slow as he has been, the WM match(and future title run) will be a failure before it even begins.

3) Misuse of the midcard- Yeah, they may be midcarders, but they gotta wrestle, too. This is the worst shape I've ever seen the WWF midcard in since 99 and Russomania was running wild. No one gives a damn about ANYBODY outside of RVD and Booker(who needs a face turn BADLY) and it doesn't seem to get any better in the future. Maybe Benoit will be a midcarder for a little while to stem the flow of suck that's been going on lately, but I doubt it.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Don't forget to add Angle and Jericho to the future midcard plans.

The time is coming that the only people I will want to see wrestle...ARE the midcard.

Guest goodhelmet

1. I think a feud with flair would change that. getting in the ring with hogan means nothing after everyone realizes he sucks. flair-austin would get the world talking.

2. i'm giving trips another month to shake the ring rust. if not, then he won't come anywhere near moty

3. the only suck in the midcard is test and the lack of time they get to wrestle. Did anyone need a 15 minute recap on sd! last week? I think the midcard could be real strong if they gave them some in-ring time.

Guest Tony149

Yeah, until the nWo angle is blown off...a lot of the better wrestlers will be in the midcard for the time being.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

There have been 3 tv matches that I considered very good.

Not MOTYC...but very good:

Austin vs. Angle

Jericho vs. Angle

HHH vs. Angle

Angle vs. Kane was pretty good too.

Kurt Angle is the TV champ!

Guest Tony149

This is off-topic, but I say bring back the TV Title. Of course drop a title to bring the TV Title back.

Guest goodhelmet

think about it. at this time last year, we had already seen the following:

Trips-Austin 2/3/ falls

benoit-jericho- ladder match

Trips-angle rumble

Angle-Rock NWO2001

and were on the cusp of

Austin-Rock

Benoit-Angle

Nothing at this year's Mania looks like it will even come close to Angle-Trips which was the worst of those matches.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Your forgetting

Jericho vs. Benoit vs. Xpac vs. Guerrero

That match was better than anything so far this year.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

That 4 Way rocked bells, even with X-Crap in the mix. Second best match on that show. Wish they would put out a damned DVD for it already.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

No shit.

Aside from the LAwler/Richards filler match...that was one of the most solid ppvs ever.

Guest goodhelmet

that's right, i forgot about the 4way. Hell one more killer match. It just reenforces how pitiful the current wwf year has been.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

To be fair...

Royal Rumble to WrestleMAnia last year was one of the best 3 month periods of ppv wretling ever.

Guest The Masked Yodeler

No Way Out 2001 was the last WWF PPV to not be put out on DVD.  Sucks, don't it?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Considering the fact that it is my favorite show ever?  Yes it sucks...but I have my tape...

Guest Tony149

The WWF should re-release some older stuff on DVD ie. the WrestleMania box set.

Guest goodhelmet

Shit, I'm still waiting for the Summerslam box set.

Actually, last year and 2000 had awesome matches from January-March. In 2000, the greatness kepy up until King of the Ring.

(Damn gives me another topic!)

Guest The Masked Yodeler

What they really need to do is release "Best of X" tapes.  They have all the WCW footage, I want to see a 2-DVD set of the best of Flair, Austin, Jericho, Foley, hell do a best of the nWo tape to hype them.  I just want more wrestling DVD's that arent' the stupid "Personality Profiles" that the WWF does that just recap the last 2 years of angles.  I want matches, especially if it had the wrestler doing a shoot commentary over the matches.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

its still early in the year. Man.  Match of the year talk and it just is March 1rst!

Guest goodhelmet

"its still early in the year. Man.  Match of the year talk and it just is March 1rst!"

that's right! last year we already had MOTYC at this time. right now there are none!!!!! that's a bad thing.

if the wwf keeps its present course then i'll probably have to vote for a puro match or <gasp> from the reports I've been hearing, a ROH match. and that is fucked up!