TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

Best Album Finales...

I thought of this while struggling with the Best Opener thread earlier; this one is much easier for me, as I tend to place more importance on the last song than the first song. Anyway, here are mine (in no particular order):

1. "Omerta/The Vampire Lanois"--The Afghan Whigs--1965

2. "Space-Dye Vest"--Dream Theater--Awake

3. "Indifference"--Pearl Jam--Vs.

4. "Disintegration"--The Cure--Disintegration (the original LP release only had 10 songs)

5. "Afterglow"--Genesis--Wind & Wuthering

I know there are several I left out, but that's a pretty decent list, IMO.

As a "bonus" question, are there any songs on albums where they *should* be the last song, but aren't? The best example I can think of is "Exit Music (For A Film)" by Radiohead (on OK Computer); that song just screams "last track". It's a big reason I like The Bends more.

That is all.

Guest Incandenza

"Sister Ray" (natch) and Pavement's "Fillmore Jive" immediately comes to mind. I'll have to let this one simmer for awhile.

Guest LooseCannon

After some consideration (this is much harder than the opening track one), I'll go with the following while reserving the right to make amendments later:

"All Apologies" - In Utero - Nirvana

"Gouge Away" - Dolittle - Pixies

"Hurt" - Downward Spiral - NIN

"May Queen" - Whip Smart - Liz Phair

"We're not gonna take it" - Tommy - The Who

For the bonus question, I wanna relisten to Source Tags and Codes. I had an inkling that "Relative Ways" would make a good final song, but I need to refresh my memory before making a final decision on that.

Guest Kinetic

I'd keep "The Tourist" in the last spot on OK Computer if only for the triangle *bing* that ends the album. A nice little touch, I think. In any case:

"A Day in the Life"- The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper's...

"Street Spirit (Fade Out)"- Radiohead- The Bends

"Motion Picture Soundtrack"- Radiohead- Kid A

"Untrustable"-Built to Spill- Perfect From Now On

"It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"- Bob Dylan- Bringing It All Back Home

"Riot Act"- Elvis Costello- Get Happy!

"One of Us Cannot Be Wrong"-Leonard Cohen-Songs of Leonard Cohen

The bonus question is kind of tough, but I can say off the top of my head that "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" absolutely should end The Queen Is Dead. I don't even understand why "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" is on there. Oh, and "Poor Places" should end Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

"A day in the life" takes it all the way.

Also...my favorite song "Coma" was the last song on Use Your Illusion 1.

Guest Kotzenjunge

Since "A Day In The Life" was already pounced on, I'll go for one no one else will be able to agree or disagree with me on:

Heaven Scent on the Digweed Bedrock album is the BEST ENDING EVER. After two discs of build up, it all just comes together into the BEST DAMN TRANCE TRACK EVER. By the way, Incandenza and Kinetic WILL be listening to the entire second half of that second disc, because it's the Side B of Abbey Road as far as Trance and Techno go.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Opiate-Tool

Variations on a Cocktail Dress-Dillinger Escape Plan.

Echoes-Pink Floyd

The first being Tool's best song, IMO, and the second being a great disgustingly technical finale to an album that can't help but rip yer face off.

Guest Last Warrior

My favourite endingto an album has to be "everythings not lost" on the coldplay album 'Parachutes'. It is exactly theright tone and feeling to finish the album off and whenever you sit down and listen to the album straight through it provides a fantastic finale.

Guest Incandenza

I think that "Send His Love to Me" off of PJ Harvey's To Bring You My Love would've made a better ending than "The Dancer," which I recall some people listing as one of their favorite finales the last time this thread appeared.

Guest Incandenza

Hey, I thought of a few more:

1. "A Movie Script Ending" would've made for a better ending to Death Cab for Cutie's The Photo Album than the underwhelming conclusion it ends up sporting, "Debate Exposes Doubt."

2. I've already made my detest for the album closing title track off of the Smiths' Meat is Murder known in another thread, but wouldn't you say that "How Soon is Now?" make for a better closer? (Yes, I am aware that it actually STARTS the UK version of the album.)

3. As great as an ending "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'" is to Velvet Underground's Loaded, they could've easily switched it with "New Age" and still have a wonderful effect.

Guest Vitamin X
Opiate-Tool

The first being Tool's best song, IMO

Finally, I agree with you on something, Agent! That entire CD is just awesome in my opinion, and Opiate finishes it off wonderfully...

I don't have a lot of CD's, but my favorite album finale is probably "Aerials" by System of a Down...

Guest godthedog

i think 'oh sweet nothing' is a perfect finale, especially with the long guitar solo. 'new age' would've been great, just not AS great.

and i don't see how anybody can not think 'a day in the life' takes the top spot. you can't top an album finale that sounds like the end of the world. i'm sorry, but it's just not possible.

I think that "Send His Love to Me" off of PJ Harvey's To Bring You My Love would've made a better ending than "The Dancer," which I recall some people listing as one of their favorite finales the last time this thread appeared.

I actually prefer "The Dancer", but they're pretty interchangable, as I like both songs equally.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

"A Day In The Life" and "Gouge Away" rock my pants off.

Just as I said that "Let's Go Crazy" off of Prince's Purple Rain is probably my favorite album opener, the title track off that same album is one of my absolute favorite closers. 9 minutes, amazing vocals, heartfelt guitar wailing...totally sweet.

I also think "Rock And Roll Suicide" is the absolute perfect closer on Ziggy Stardust - revisiting the "I love you, you're beautiful" lyric from "Five Years" brings everything full circle and wraps it all up tightly, and the entire song has the feeling of a great elegy. Listening to that album always gives me the sense that I'm living and dying with Ziggy.

Speaking of great elegy: "Anywhere I Lay My Head," the final track on Tom Waits' Rain Dogs. Big, bossy, brassy dirge with Waits absolutely howling his heart out--his first line is one of the coolest, most powerful sounds I've heard a human voice make. It's weird, wild, sad but fun, and really sums up the album.

I also give mad props to the Queens of the Stone Age for crafting the Song I'm Most Likely To Someday Murder Someone To, "I Think I Lost My Headache" at the end of R. There's some exhaustive insanity for ya, with brutally amazing instrumentation. This song should permanently play in all dark scary vaguely red-lit alleys in America.

One big switcheroo I'd do: "European Son" on The Velvet Underground & Nico doesn't quite scream "DONE!" to me. Great jagged guitar to end it (only 8 minutes, unlike "Sister Ray," bwa ha ha), but I think "Heroin" is the best track on the album, the most personal, the most epic, and the most suited to closing it, even if the Velvets were entirely unconventional. The whole album's great, but I always feel like I could be satisfied if I stopped listening after track 7. Had I the chance to sequence, I'd pluck that straight from its spot on the center of the album and throw it at the end; the triple-hit of "Black Angel's Death Song," "European Son," and "Heroin" might be exhaustive, but I think it'd be the most fulfilling.

Hey, I thought of a few more:

1. "A Movie Script Ending" would've made for a better ending to Death Cab for Cutie's The Photo Album than the underwhelming conclusion it ends up sporting, "Debate Exposes Doubt."

2. I've already made my detest for the album closing title track off of the Smiths' Meat is Murder known in another thread, but wouldn't you say that "How Soon is Now?" make for a better closer? (Yes, I am aware that it actually STARTS the UK version of the album.)

3. As great as an ending "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'" is to Velvet Underground's Loaded, they could've easily switched it with "New Age" and still have a wonderful effect.

I agree with the Death Cab one..."Debate Exposes Doubt" is pretty nondescript.

As far as Meat Is Murder goes, I dunno if I'd agree or not. It'd be a good way to begin and end an album, IMO. I also think "Well I Wonder" would be tolerable as the closer as well. The thing is, preachy horseshit aside, "Meat Is Murder" has the sound of a finale, so it works in that aspect. And going back a few posts, "There Is A Light..." is most definitely a finale; it's too perfect not to be. Ah well.

Guest godthedog
One big switcheroo I'd do: "European Son" on The Velvet Underground & Nico doesn't quite scream "DONE!" to me. Great jagged guitar to end it (only 8 minutes, unlike "Sister Ray," bwa ha ha), but I think "Heroin" is the best track on the album, the most personal, the most epic, and the most suited to closing it, even if the Velvets were entirely unconventional. The whole album's great, but I always feel like I could be satisfied if I stopped listening after track 7. Had I the chance to sequence, I'd pluck that straight from its spot on the center of the album and throw it at the end; the triple-hit of "Black Angel's Death Song," "European Son," and "Heroin" might be exhaustive, but I think it'd be the most fulfilling.

on paper, 'european son' is the logical conclusion (since it's the noisiest & most experiemental track), but the execution of it is pretty poor. it's like they said "okay, all we have to do is make lots of incoherent noise for seven minutes plus & it'll be a masterpiece." after seven minutes, incoherent noise loses its novelty and gets pretty boring. it needed a lot more meat & a lot less fat. 'sister ray' worked better because, at heart, it's a good song & it's got great lyrics. as a song, 'european son' is one of the weakest (if not THE weakest) on the album. as such, it doesn't hold my interest very much.

i think it would've been a nice little ironic close if they'd put 'sunday morning' at the end rather than the beginning. cool counterpoint to 'the black angel's death song'.

Guest Incandenza

I made a VU mixtape for a friend a couple of years ago, and I started it with "Heroin." It makes for one hell of a beginner.

Guest godthedog

i think 'venus in furs' would be better for something like that. 'heroin' starts off slow, but the sound of 'venus in furs' is totally different right from the beginning and you're like "what the hell is that?"

Guest Incandenza

I think the slow build of "Heroin" works in its favor. I recall having a helluva time trying to decide what song should follow it, but decided on "Sunday Morning." It was the biggest sonic 180 I could think of without resorting to some of Loaded's poppier material.

Guest Incandenza

I can't remember if I used "Jesus" (it's one my favorites, so more likely than not I did). I don't recall much else of what was on there, other than I only used three tracks from Loaded ("Sweet Jane," "New Age" and "Oh! Sweet Nuthin!"), and I ended off the set with a pairing of "Sister Ray" and "After Hours."

Guest CoreyLazarus416

My 5 favorite ending tracks...

Metallica - "Dyers Eve" - ...And Justice For All

Slayer - "Raining Blood" - Reign In Blood

Amen - "Here's The Poison" - We Have Come For Your Parents (definitely not a band most of you would enjoy, but this song is the PERFECT ender to an album like that one)

Iron Maiden - "The Thing Line Between Love And Hate" - Brave New World

Dream Theater - "Finally Free" - Metropolis Part II: Scenes From A Memory

As for the bonus question, hands-down my answer is Nevermore - "Believe In Nothing" - Dead Heart In A Dead World. The song is just such a great song (although it COULD be longer), and the title track which ends said album just seems more like an opener than an ender. It starts of really slow and mellow, then gets fast and heavy about halfway through with NO notice. Definitely more of an opener than a closer.

Guest Nevermortal

"Raining Blood" - Slayer (Reign in Blood)

Undisputed #1, right there.

"God Called in Sick Today" - AFI (Black Sails in the Sunset)

Awesome ending song...slow & heavy at the right parts.

"Haunted Shores" - Cradle of Filth (Dusk and Her Embrace)

A fast-paced opus about King fucking Arthur. Bring the goodness...and it also has Cronos making a rallying war cry!

"Transcendental War-Battle Between Gods" - Zyklon (World ov Worms)

Heavier than fuck, contains awesome clean vocals by Trickster G (Garm from Arcturus). Successfully becomes heavier than most songs on the already heavy as fuck Zyklon CD.

Ok, I've spent my "heavy as fuck" quota for today...

Guest Harry Hood

The combo of Brain Damage and Eclipse at the end of DSOTM is so fitting. Bring it On Home on Zeppelin II as well. Oh yeh and Terrapin Station on the album fo the same name.

Guest godthedog
I can't remember if I used "Jesus" (it's one my favorites, so more likely than not I did). I don't recall much else of what was on there, other than I only used three tracks from Loaded ("Sweet Jane," "New Age" and "Oh! Sweet Nuthin!"), and I ended off the set with a pairing of "Sister Ray" and "After Hours."

i tried to put an album together from the cool outtakes on 'peel slowly and see'. it turned out okay. i'm kind of glad the "great lost velvets album" remained lost, cause even though some of their best work didn't make it to a studio album, lots of it sounds more or less the same & it wouldn't have made as mind-blowing an album as the big four.

Guest saturnmark4life

gotta love gouge away, yessir.

of and to agent - i got calcualting infinity just today, and find it to be a fine work%

I also agree 'there is a light...' would be a better choice to end The Queen Is Dead, but hey it's the smiths an all and i'm blind in love with all of it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Is that blast beat with the sick riff on Jim Fear the ungodly shit or what? That album can't help but to rip your face off.

Guest EricMM

Street Spirit (Fade Out) Radio Head

Disposition/Reflection/Triad Tool

Ben Wah Balls SHOULD have ended Blink 182's Cheshire Cat. I can't believe they went with Depends. Incest vs. Incontenance? NO QUESTION!!

Guest Dmann2000

A couple of good Led Zepplin enders

"The Ocean" from Houses of the Holy, best album they did

"When the Levee Breaks" of of Untitled/IV/Zoso