TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

Making banners

Im interested in making banners for my self, but after the abuse everyone gives DJ Jeff, i thought i would ask for some advice first.

What programs do i need to make good quality banners?

What websites/sources etc can i go to, to get tips and advice on graphics and making banners?

What are good sources/websites for pictures that i could use to make banners?

How do you cut a picture out from its background? By that i mean, say if you have a picture of a wrestler, but you just want to have the wrestler with a plain background, how do you do it? If you try doing it yourself using paint or paint shop pro, the edges always look pixelated and scrappy. What am i doing wrong? Is it just a case of filling in the edges and smoothing them over myself? Or is there another way of doing it?

Any pther tips or advice owuld be much appreciated, if anyone could answer my questions, it would be of great help.

Cheers,

ChUnK!

Guest areacode212
What programs do i need to make good quality banners?

Photoshop

What websites/sources etc can i go to, to get tips and advice on graphics and making banners?

Do a Google search for "photoshop tips" or "photoshop tutorials" and you'll find lots of sites. And many of those sites will link to other good sites as well.

What are good sources/websites for pictures that i could use to make banners?

It depends on what kind of banners you want to make. If you want to make wrestling banners, someone might be able to point you towards a good pic archive site. Try looking for wrestler fansites.

How do you cut a picture out from its background? By that i mean, say if you have a picture of a wrestler, but you just want to have the wrestler with a plain background, how do you do it? If you try doing it yourself using paint or paint shop pro, the edges always look pixelated and scrappy. What am i doing wrong? Is it just a case of filling in the edges and smoothing them over myself? Or is there another way of doing it?

Later versions of Photoshop have a magnetic lasso tool which will help you to make a cut when the background is relatively plain or if it contrasts well with the wrestler. For more complex backgrounds, there are all kinds of little tricks you can use, but I tend to do the time-consuming "create a mask, then painstakingly isolate the subject from the background" thing.

Guest TheArchiteck

Dumping my banner Chunk?

lol

I really can't come up with a tip off head...since I just got into this a few months back. areacode basically told you everything you need to start off with.

Dumping my banner Chunk?

lol

I really can't come up with a tip off head...since I just got into this a few months back. areacode basically told you everything you need to start off with.

No not at all. The banner you made me rocks, im holding onto that one for a while :)

You just kinda inspired me to have a go at making some for myslef.

ChUnK!