TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Angle-plex

I'm going to start collecting comics again.......

Guest Angle-plex

My local comic store closed down a while ago, so I stopped collecting comics. Anyways, a new one just opened up. I used to collect USM, and that was pretty much it. What series are pretty good right now?

(Note: I usually get Marvel Comics, and for DC characters the only one I am usually interested in is Batman)

Guest raptor

Batman's a pretty good bet right now, with Jeph Loeb writing and Jim Lee on art.

I'd also suggest all the Ultimate titles (except Ultimate Adventures), eXiles, Daredevil, and both core X-Titles are pretty good right now. I've also heard good things about The Hulk, and I'm sure areacode will be be pimping Catwoman ^_^ .

If you want to move beyond traditional superheroes, Fables, Powers, and Y: The Last Man all come highly reccomended.

Guest HellSpawn

Spider-man stuff.

Jean Michael Straczinsky (spelling?) / John Romita jr on Amazing Spider-man are great.

and Kevin Smith on Black Cat is great too, oh and he will write Amazing soon (soon=in some mommento on 2003), while JMS & JRjr will take a new Spidey book.

Guest Mattdotcom

Let's see...Amazing, Peter Parker, Spectacular, Tangled Web, Ultimate, and a new one? Six comics...maybe if that CGI-series on MTV is a hit, we'll get an adaption of it...ah, the perks of having a hit movie.

And unless I'm mistaken, this puts Spidey ahead of Batman in terms of titles (not couting books like Robin and Nightwing, of course).

Guest cynicalprofit

I'm telling you, move away from the kiddy isle and pick up some real comics, Preacher, Sandman, Brat Pack, all of them are over, in terms of in print, but for 15-50(the brat pack one is rare as fuck but worth it, and you could get the issues for cheap, under 8 each) you can get a tbp and get moe back for your buck.

Buy trade paper backs, more for your money and no dealign with hot issue prices, no comic outside of golden aged shit should be more then 5 period.

Marvel is such crap that its not even funny, they dont bother to go beyond the superhero mold, with a few rare exceptions, none of which were super, Connan was great anatomically though. EXPAND YOUR HORIZIONS and read a non marvel non DC book, I guarentee you'll find something you can realte to more or like alot better then adults with superpowers beating eachother up like kids.

Also, Posion Elves (Elf)

BONE, I can not recommend this enough, if you have to buy something cute this is it, but its got a serious epic feel to it and the work is awesome, no color needed.

Guest Sassquatch

We need to pin a thread somewhere that outlines all of the current comic books that newbies should pick up since this questions seems to come up rather often.

Current books to look at and possibly buy on a ergular basis:

Marvel:

Amazing Spider-Man

Peter Parker: Spider-Man

Ultimate Spider-Man

New X-Men

Uncanny X-men

Ultimate X-Men

Exiles

Captain America

Iron Man

Black Panther

Captain Marvel

Avengers

DC:

Batman

Detective Comics

Flash

JSA

Hawkman

Green Arrow

Vertigo:

Y: The Last Man

Fables

ABC Comics/Wildstorm:

The League of Extraordinary Men

Dark Horse:

Usagi Yojimbo

**NOTE** The comics chosen above do not reflect the books that I buy on a monthly basis and have been chosen through the means of what books are good reads and which books might be money grabbers.

Books that have not been chosen have no redeeming value and I can not in good conscious recommend them. If anyone here would like to add to the list then by all means go ahead.

Guest Special K

I've read some Ultimate X-Men, and while I haven't been an avid X-Men reader for some time, they are really fun. You can check out Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spiderman on the marvel site in dotcomics, with a free registration.

Guest Sassquatch

I recommend that you check out the first TPB of the Ultimate X-Men if you haven't already and have only seen various issues of Ultimate X-Men.

Guest Special K

Still, Ultimate X-Men-Spiderman can be seen, a couple of story-arcs a piece on the Marvel website for free,

Guest Sassquatch

DotComic's fall into the TPB's territory as to why the idea of buying singles issues is a dying art in today's market.

Like I have said in the past though, I can see both sides of the coin in this argument and I feel that both sides hurt one another *but* at the same time they also help each other.

It's a Catch .22 and both sides are looking down through the barrel.