TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Snakebyte

80's Television~!

Guest Snakebyte

Hmm. Well, everybody talk about the shows they used to watch during the 80's. If no one remembers them, please elaborate. I shall begin.

We all remember the Transformers, hopefully, and G.I. Joe, but what about the GO-Bots and Mask. Don't get me wrong, the GO-Bots were nowhere near as cool as Transformers, but transforming robots kick ass no matter what.

Also, I believe that MASK was superior to G.I. Joe simply because they had um...masks.. that had superpowers.. and their vehicles transformed too! GAWD! How much cooler can it get. I so would've killed a room full of schoolchildren and elderfolk to get my hands on a Firebird with gullwing doors that could fly, or a GTO that could turn into a TANK~! Not to mention the motorcycle that turned into a helicopter.

Besides, I'd swear allegiance to VENOM or COBRA, but come on... Cobra Commander had seemingly unlimited resources, but his plans were sooooo lame. He would always conjure up a worldwide domination scheme, but it would involve mutant parrots or hybrid snake/cat beast or something.

Miles Mayhem's plans, on the other hand, seemed more direct. Besides, I'm not gonna fuck with a guy whose helicopter can deploy jets (it's named Switchblade for Jeebus's sake!).

Okay, that's enough MASK for now... jeez, all this 80's almost makes me wanna search through my tape collection looking for a recording of "Today's Special."

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, it should.

But while I'm here, I'll throw in the golden age of Nickelodeon:

You Can't Do That on Television

Danger Mouse

Double Dare

Guest Si82

Transformers rocked! Man that show was great. I liked MASK too. It had a great theme tune. But what about Thundercats? That was a pretty good show. Mu-Ra (sp?) was a great bad guy. Ah, the memories.

Guest SP-1

Let's not forget . . . SILVERHAWKS~!

As well as the standard Joe and Transformers fare, I also loved ALF as a kid. The recent commercial with ALF and Hogan was nearly too much greatness for my poor nostalgia.

SP

Guest Zack Malibu

He-Man, The A Team, GI Joe, the old NBC Marvel Cartoons (Spider Man and his Amazing Friends, and The Incredible Hulk) were just a few of my favorite shows from the era.

And who could forget the greatness that was My Secret Identity.

Guest Midnight Express83

Voltron, Robotech, Thundercats. But my favorite cartoon from the 80s goes to Hulk Hogan and Rock And Wrestling...just kidding. But seeing JYD get down with his bad self was gold.

Guest T®ITEC
Transformers rocked! Man that show was great. I liked MASK too. It had a great theme tune. But what about Thundercats? That was a pretty good show. Mu-Ra (sp?) was a great bad guy. Ah, the memories.

You mean Mumm-Ra?

mummra.gif

He was great.. But I liked Cobra Commander more. He was a freak, man.

Guest papacita

I vaguely remember Go-Bots and can remember the theme song to My Secret Indentity (and nothing else). What were those shows about?

As for old-school cartoons...Silverhawks, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, TMNT (that was like 88-89 so it should count :) ), Masters of the Universe, She-Rah (sp?) and The Real Ghostbusters (as opposed to the fake Ghostbusters, if anybody remembers that show) were my favorites. Especially Ghostbusters, I had all the toys when I was little.

Guest Kotzenjunge

You losers don't deserve memories if you can't remember THE CENTURIONS~!

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest SP-1

How could I have forgotten The REAL Ghostbusters?? That was my faovirte move/show EVER as a kid, and the two movies are still among my top ten ever.

SP

Guest papacita
Looking back, I can't believe I was entertained by "Small Wonder"

The was my show when I was little. That and Alf.

Ohh...remember Webster?!

webster1a.jpg

WEBSTER~!

Guest LooseCannon
You losers don't deserve memories if you can't remember THE CENTURIONS~!

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Even though I had the Centurion action figures, I only vaguely remember the cartoon or what the whole thing was about.

Guest Kotzenjunge

One dude was water, one was land, and the third dude was air. Each had a suit that had a bunch of holes that their attachments could plug into to make themselves into a submarine, tank, plane, whatever.

It ruled the world.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest Spaceman Spiff
The was my show when I was little. That and Alf.

The daughter on Alf was pretty hot.

Some other quality 80's programs:

Silver Spoons

Buck Rogers

(both w/ Erin Grey - yummy!)

Guest LooseCannon
One dude was water, one was land, and the third dude was air. Each had a suit that had a bunch of holes that their attachments could plug into to make themselves into a submarine, tank, plane, whatever.

It ruled the world.

Yeah I remember that. I just can't remember who they fought or what the purpose was. The air one was my favorite, though. Fo sho.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I gave up watching TV when Cobra and GI Joe teamed up against the drug dealers, even as a kid, I could realize what blatant propaganda that was. I've probably averaged no more that 10 hours of tv per week after that happened.

Guest Kotzenjunge

Eh, I liked the Land one.

They fought some dude who somehow had armies bent on world conquest and had his heaquarters under the North Pole or something.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest Zack Malibu

My Secret Identity had Jerry O'Connell as a young comic geek kid who lived next door to a scientist, Dr. Jeffkote (sp?). O'Connell's character, Andrew, stumbled into the lab while the Doc was testing some type of laser invention, and it gave Andrew invulnerability, super speed, and an ability to levitate (with the help of aerosol spray cans, that was great). Andrew dubbed himself "Ultraman" (at first he said Powerman, but then realized there was already one in the Marvel Universe...I'm not sure if Ultraman had existed in Japan at this time, or if they just stuck to North American comics...) and went on all sorts of wild adventures, with only the Doc knowing about his powers and trying to keep them in check. I have only one episode on tape, and it's not that great. Andrew decides he wants to use his super speed to become a track star. Yay.

Oh, and it's not a show, and it probably hasn't even been on TV SINCE the 80's, but you can't deny the greatness that was The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.

Guest Snakebyte

::Mr. Burns' fingertip gesture:: Excellent.. my thread has taken off.

Why has no one mentioned Knight Rider yet? Come on! My car is codenamed KITT2! Grrr...

(and yes, car buffs, I do know that I drive a Stang and that KITT was a Trans-Am)

I want one of the scrolling red light bars, and I need to get a CD Changer with the voice modulator, so you tell it what CD to play and it obeys and responds verbally to you. That would be sweet if I could make it sound like KITT. ::dreams::

Snakebyte- "KITT2, Super Pursuit mode"

KITT2- "You haven't installed the nitrous yet."

Snakebyte- "Screw it then, just play me some John Digweed"

Guest Zack Malibu

Knight Rider kicked ass seven ways from Sunday. It's theme was one of the greatest.

What about Sidekicks? With Ernie Reyes Jr. kicking everyone's ass even though he was like 7.

Guest Snakebyte

I was just pitching the idea of KITT versus the A-Team van to Kotz on AIM. He says:

"KITT versus the A-Team van = END OF THE UNIVERSE."

I thought that just about summed it up. I would have loved to see Michael and KITT team up with the A-Team.

Guest Kotzenjunge

It's true. Two galactic powers such as those were never meant to come into conflict.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest eiker_ir

this thread has made me remeber all the shows i watched when i was little...sniff

the ones i remember perfectly....

- SilverHawks~!

- Master of the Universe~!

- GI Joe~!

- Thundercats~!

- My Secret Identity

oh man i miss those days....

::cries::