TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vern Gagne

Most memorable sports injuries

Guest Vern Gagne

-Joe Theisman:nuff said

-Wendell Davis: Against Philly goes up for a catch, and both knee caps end up in his thigh.

-Tony Saunders: You could hear the arm break.

-Napoleon McCallum:MNF against SF, his knee went one way and the rest of his leg went the other.

-Jason Kendall:The ankle was literally hanging from his foot.

-Brian Buchanan: Happened in the minor leagues. Buchanan was running to first when his foot got stuck. It was like Kendall's injury only 100 times worse. They were worried he might lose the foot.

Guest Sassquatch

Bo Jackson.

Just thinking about that STILL gives me some chills.

Guest alkeiper

Dave Dravecky- Same deal as Tony Saunders, except this happened after a comeback from cancer.  Dravecky's since lost the arm.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

For more dubious reasons, I'm always going to remember Gus Frerotte and Bill Gramatica.

Guest Army Eye

Good list.  McCallum has to be the worst that I've seen.  So nasty.

I'll throw in Bryant Young from a years ago.  His leg is planted, a teammate comes flying helmet first into his knee, his leg gets bent backwards at the knee at a very disgusting angle

Guest The Electrifyer

I don't know his name, but the guy who injured his leg after celebrating a feild goal kick in football a month or two ago will always be remembered by me because of how embarassing it must have felt for him. That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen happen in sports.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Electrifyer, that kicker was Bill Gramatica of the Cardinals. And I'm assuming the Frerote injury in question was when he banged his head against a concrete wall after making a big play, no?(running in for a TD, I think)

One that hasn't been added to this list yet that I'll mention has to be Michael Irvin when he was lying motionless on the Philly carpet and the fans were cheering! I can't stand Irvin, but damn that was cold.

Guest Army Eye

The Bill Gramatica injury was so great.  Him and his brother always obnoxiously celebrate after every field goal.

Guest starvenger

I don't suppose HHH and Sid's injuries count.

Tim Krumrie's leg snapping during the Super Bowl was memorable.  Especially since they showed the fucking replay for 15 minutes.

There's also that one on the net where the kickboxer snaps his leg after a kick.

Guest treble charged

Does anyone else remember Robin Ventura's broken leg from sliding into home during a Spring Training game when he still played for the White Sox?  The lower half of his leg facing inwards was pretty gross.

Guest Army Eye
There's also that one on the net where the kickboxer snaps his leg after a kick.

Yeah that's a pretty gruesome one.  His leg looks like a wet noodle after the break.

Guest goodhelmet

The Theismann injury is still fresh on my mind. Now if someone would sew the guy's mouth shut!

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Clint Malarchuk (sp?), goalie for the Sabres at the time (I think).  Took a skate to the neck, and blood was just gushing out.  He was playing on the end closest to where the Zamboni comes out, so he was able to get off the ice quickly.  I recall him saying if he was on the other end of the ice, he probably would have died.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic
The Theismann injury is still fresh on my mind. Now if someone would sew the guy's mouth shut!

Oh boo to that.  I love it when Maguire and Theismann go after each other:

Joe:  "That was poor execution by the offense."

Paul:  "Hey, you have to give the defense some credit on that play."

Joe:  "No I don't."

Paul:  "Yeah, you do.  You're just pulling for the offense because you were a quarterback."

Joe:  "Yeah, so?  You were a PUNTER."

Paul:  "Hey, I played linebacker too."

Joe:  "That makes you a fat punter."

(Note:  conversation never actually happened, but could've)

Guest superwwfmark

One that soccer fans will remember, is Luc Nilis' injury last year.  That must have been the most painful ever.  You could see his shin bend around the goalkeepers leg.

Guest Army Eye

re Theismann and Maguire I think the egos get the best of them way too much. They are always try to one-up each other and out-predict the first down measurements, I just get tired of it.  They sound like a couple of kids.  I think they'd both benefit from getting split up and being inserted into separate 2-man teams.  When they actually get down to analysis, they both have good things to say.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Jason Kendall's injury had me puking. Other than Theismann, I had NEVER seen anything that gruesome. Also, McCaffery's leg break on MNF was pretty bad as well along with Byrant Young's.

Guest Smues

The one that stands out in my mind is the first one I ever watched. I can't remember the guys first name, but I think it was something like Dennis Byrd. Played for the Jets and got paralyzed for life on monday night football or the espn sunday night game or something like that. That scared the hell out of me.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

He didn't really get hurt that much, but Hermann Maier's crash on the downhill at the XVIII Winter Games in Nagano was one of the scariest things that I have ever seen.  And he came back to win gold later in the Olympics.

Guest Brooding Genius

I'll have to go with Tony Saunders, because it was the only time I actually saw an injury that horrific as it happened.

Guest bob_barron

The Joe Theismann injury- sick, sick, sick.

Even though its wrestling- Sid's injury was absolutely sickening.

Trent McCleary getting hit with the puck- ouch.