TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest edotherocket

wwe smackdown 5

Guest edotherocket

"Sources at THQ have confirmed that developers Yuke's are working on WWE SmackDown! 5 for PS2 - the sequel to the recently-released Shut Your Mouth - and that it will be released in the UK in November 2003.

The latest instalment of the best-selling wrestling series will place a greater focus on the actual gameplay and fighting system, with submissions playing a much more significant role - lending a more strategic element to the game.

Locking on, and escaping from submission holds (such as figure-four leglocks or the Crippler Crossface), will almost be a mini-game in itself, with your potential for success based on how fatigued your character (and your opponent) is.

Meanwhile, to execute more traditional finishing manoeuvres, you'll now first have to drag your opponent into the centre of the ring. So, as would be the case in reality, you couldn't pull off a People's Elbow if your opponent was lying near the turnbuckles.

A more realistic approach to each character's strengths and weaknesses is also likely to be included. The example we were given is that you'll no longer see things like Spike Dudley being able to powerslam the Big Show. Makes sense.

As far as the Season mode is concerned, Yuke's are currently said to be considering implementing a risk/reward system. For instance, as you progress through the game, you would earn money which could then be spent on health drinks to help you recover from injuries or new costumes.

The developers are also thinking about creating more organic environments - offering an added degree of interactivity - and expanding on the number and variety of backstage areas.

While there was hardly a shortage of match options in Shut Your Mouth, we can still expect to see a handful of new ones in its successor. Most notably, we were told, "The divas haven't played enough of a role in the games," and that they would be incorporated in the new SmackDown! in (ahem) a more "sexual sense." We can only surmise that this means that the likes of Bra & Panties bouts and mud wrestling matches are likely to make an appearance.

Finally, when we pressed THQ about whether the game would be online compatible, we got a cagey response, being told that "the challenge is out there" to get a fighting game online: "If you're just going to download content, why bother?" So, as and when the SmackDown! series does go online, expect it to offer fully-fledged multiplayer matches. But whether it'll happen or not in SmackDown! 5 remains to be seen.

As ever, we'll keep you posted on the game's development, although we're not expecting to see it in action until the E3 games show in May."

- gamesradar.com

Guest The Man in Blak

My sources tell me that Smackdown 5 will play exactly the same as Smackdown 4, which played exactly the same as Smackdown 3.

Guest ElectricRaccoon
For instance, as you progress through the game, you would earn money which could then be spent on health drinks to help you recover from injuries...

Heh.

Guest Trivia247

blah

make it even difficult to pull of fricken finishers.

already you can't do a Dragonrana as a finisher because the guy still has to be groggy.

Guest Slapnuts00

will it be called:

Smackdown 5: The People's Strudel!

Smackdown 5: Lick a Monkey's Anus!

or will the series be changed to:

WWE Time To Play The Game: That Damn Good

Guest KingOfOldSchool
For instance, as you progress through the game, you would earn money which could then be spent on health drinks to help you recover from injuries...

Heh.

They should include an option to buy steriods.

Guest HartFan86

Heh.

LOL

Guest Will Scarlet
We can only surmise that this means that the likes of Bra & Panties bouts and mud wrestling matches are likely to make an appearance.

I am actually shocked it took them so long to put these in. They seemed to be going that way when they had bikini contests in No Mercy, and when they had wrestlers choose underwear in CAW mode despite it usually never being shown.

I am actually a tad curious how a mud match would work in the video game. I mean, considering the normal mud match is punches/kicks, body slam, pin, will it be like that or will my fully clothed wrestler be pulling off Emerald Fusions in the mud matches while having a match very similar to a usual match, except for it being in a mud pit?

I knew this was coming by the way they kept mentioning injuries ad nauseum in Smackdown 4 despite there, you know, not being any.

Locking on, and escaping from submission holds (such as figure-four leglocks or the Crippler Crossface), will almost be a mini-game in itself, with your potential for success based on how fatigued your character (and your opponent) is.

This will either be a good thing or a disaster. If it is tough for the computer to get out of my submissions, then great, but if the computer pulls out easy while I have a tough time because it ends up being complicated, then it will another annoying thing which I will hate.

A more realistic approach to each character's strengths and weaknesses is also likely to be included. The example we were given is that you'll no longer see things like Spike Dudley being able to powerslam the Big Show. Makes sense.

This could be interesting...or it could make matches against the Big Show and Rikishi even more boring. I would not mind it if it played to the some of the more interesting strengths not just "they're really big so you cannot slam them."

The developers are also thinking about creating more organic environments - offering an added degree of interactivity - and expanding on the number and variety of backstage areas.

I would not mind this. I would love it if backstage parts were more unique. Heck, one of the scenes they show in the end credits of Smackdown" SYM is two wrestlers throwing snowballs at each other. That would be interesting if you could use environments like that, as opposed to just sticking a trash can and lid out there and going "Here, fight!"

Guest CED Ordonez

I'll keep asking...when's the sequel to WWE No Mercy gonna be made? *people point to Def Jam Wrestling* But you know, with actual wrestlers?

AKI > Yuke's

Guest razazteca

Smackdown 5: Better Than Raw

what kind of power ups would Stacker 2 have on the character? Would it be possible to make Rikishi lose weight?

Sounds like they're making the gameplay tedious and frustrating to me.

As much as I love No Mercy it's game play tends to really piss me off sometimes. Like how I need to get a string of moves going to regain my composure.....yet I can't since the computer is too busy reversing my freakin punches even though my attitude meter is more full than his.....arrrrrgh! Sorry I had to vent.

SmackDown! 5: Smell the Ratings!!!

One little suggestion concering CAWs: I want more than just puro moves added in...I suggest that since most people are looking at the US for buying power...that we see some of those indy moves in there.

Guest Insane Bump Machine
Heck, one of the scenes they show in the end credits of Smackdown" SYM is two wrestlers throwing snowballs at each other. That would be interesting if you could use environments like that, as opposed to just sticking a trash can and lid out there and going "Here, fight!"

You can already do this in SYM.

Guest EricMM

This is why I hate the SD! brand of games. It seems like they have to come out with a game every year. Wheras No Mercy took the time to add all the features they could to a little N64 cartridge, SD! 4 seems like it intentionally kept shit out for the next years stuff.

And please tell me they're not adding in the Superheavyweights from No Mercy. Guess what, it fucking sucked! I don't think Big Show will have any problems doing any moves to spike so why should it go the other way? Holding down the cruisers in game form if you ask me. That's not balance, that's stupid.

Guest DrTom
I don't think Big Show will have any problems doing any moves to spike so why should it go the other way? Holding down the cruisers in game form if you ask me. That's not balance, that's stupid.

What's stupid is to presume that a 150-pound man should be able to toss around a 500-pound man. I've always hated that super-heavies like Big Slow are no different from anyone else with respect to doing your power moves to them. If you choose to play as Slow (not that anyone would, but bear with me a moment), there has to be a tradeoff for being horribly slow in the ring, unskilled at reversals, and having a limited moveset.

When Rey Mytserio bodyslams Big Slow in a WWE match, then I'll believe it should be in a video game. What it comes down to is a preference for an arcade style of play vs. a simulation style of play. I prefer the sim style, which necessarily excludes things like cruisers tossing guys like Big Slow around.

Guest The Man in Blak

Hell, I'd be impressed if they could get the table to sit still in SD5 - every time I get in a table match, I have to set up the table in the corner. Otherwise, my opponent and I just slip-slide off the top like we'd just been covered with axle grease.

One of the most hideous modes ever...except for maybe that crazy "I beat you so the title drops lower" ladder match thing they've got going in LoW2.

Guest J*ingus

I agree about little guys throwing around big guys, Tom. That's something which should've been stopped in wrestling games a damn long time ago. And for that matter, why can Big Show and Rikishi and all the other fatasses run up to the top rope just as quickly as the cruiserweights in most games? Doesn't make sense. At least in the old Wrestlemania Challenge game for the NES, Andre couldn't climb the ropes.

Guest Respect The 'Taker

Heh.

*Dies laughing*

...ohh god, that was classic..i praise you Mr.Manson.

Seriously, i dig the concept of making it shitloads more realistic, it can only improve the experience!

Oh a funnier note, im playing a season with Trips (*dodges flying debris*) and i defeated the Rock at the Royal Rumble. Benoit turns out to win the rumble event, HOWEVER, Hogan turns up, says Benoit doesn't deserve to main event Wrestlemania, beats him at No Way Out and goes on to face me, Triple H @ Wrestlemania.

HA! Lucky for us that doesn't happen in real life!...........

Illusion

Guest saturnmark4life

i nearly vomited when at wmx8 hhh has the rock's spot and the commentary is all 'god bless hhh for smiling at the hulkster's sad antics instead of crippling him what a guy etc.'