TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KANE

Has anyone else read "Maus" parts I and II?

Guest KANE

Has anyone else read these "books?" They're actually like comic books, but on an epic scale. Basically, it's a man retelling the survival story of his father during wartime Eastern Europe and Auchwitz. The comic art style uses mice to represent Jews ("Maus" is German for "mouse"), and, of course, cats to represent the Nazis. But that doesn't mean this is kiddied up--it's a real and amazing tale. I was wondering if anyone else has read these books, and what they think about them? (Fun fact: the author is also the guy who drew Garbage Pail Kids.)

Guest red_file

In my sophmore year in college I took a course called "Encountering Evil," which I thought was going to be a class about serial killers, crooked politicians, and societal ills. It turns out that it was a Holocaust class, and we read the major and minor works (Wiesel, Levi, etc), and Maus was one of the last things we read. It's an interesting work, but definitely not one that was meant to be reading following fourteen weeks of reading similar tales, as I was pretty desensitized by the time we got to it.

I'd go back and read it, but I've been trying to put that class out of my mind for several years now.

Guest areacode212

I worked in a bookstore for years, and that's one of the things I always meant to read on my lunch breaks, but never got around to. Spiegelman was also in the news a couple of years ago when he drew a somewhat controversial cover for The New Yorker...it had something to do with the Diallo shooting.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I remember reading it once, but damned if I can remember anything about it other than being about the Holocaust. Night by Elie Wiesel stuck with me more, I remember that much.