TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stupendous Man

Which RPG should I get?

Guest Stupendous Man

Since I'm going away to college, and my brother refuses to part with any of our next-gen systems, I picked myself up a PSOne the other day, and I plan on collecting some games for it, so I'll have a decent library by the time I hit the dorm, I just need help deciding, should I get:

Chrono Cross

FF VIII

FF IX

Any other suggestions for the PSX would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Guest Army Eye

A couple others to strongly consider

Dragon Warrior 7 (great RPG if you don't mind the dated graphics)

Suikoden 2

Guest Kahran Ramsus

My top five:

1) Suikoden II

2) Xenogears

3) Final Fantasy IX

4) Final Fantasy VII

5) Chrono Cross

Others to consider:

Final Fantasy Tactics (not an RPG, but still)

Final Fantasy Chronicles

Final Fantasy Anthology

Suikoden

Guest Rose of Pain

Don't forget Lunar 1 and 2

Great Old School Japanese RPG Gaming.

And if you want to give something diffrent a try, pick up Vagrent Story

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Right.  I forgot about the Lunar series.  It still wouldn't make my top five though.

Guest Scotsman

Chrono, without a shadow of a doubt.

As for other suggestions...it totally depends on what games you like really...what kind of genre.  I'd highly recommend the Syphon Filter trilogy...fantastic games.

Guest redbaron51
Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG game I have ever played in my whole life

Guest mathbrat

Go for Front Mission 3, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy Anthology. Front Mission is an awesome strategy game with robots, numerous scenarios, and tons of customization options. Chrono is Chrono. Final Fantasy has V and VI, and both rule, but they were made for the Super Nintendo and thus look pretty ugly (if that matters).

Guest razazteca

stick with the classics of Final Fantasy Chronicles & FF Anthology and Chrono Cross the sequal to Chrono Trigger.  Final Fantasy IX which follows the classic style of before FF7.

Guest Army Eye
Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG game I have ever played in my whole life

ok.. that's for SNES though.

Guest goodhelmet

Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 have taken months away from my life. i love those games *sniff*.

Guest Star Ocean 3

Dragon Warrior VII, Star Ocean 2, and Valkyrie Profile are probably the best. Of course, there's Tales of Destiny, Lunar SSSC, and the underrated SaGa Frontier 2.

Guest AzkulKazul

Final Fantasy VII & VIII & IX

Final Fantasy Anthology & Chronicles

Final Fantasy Tactics

Valkyrie Profile

Star Ocean II

Breath of Fire III & IV

Xenogears

Front Mission III

Legend of Mana

Suikoden I & II

Chrono Cross

Dragon Warrior VII

Lunar I & II

Grandia

Persona 2

RPG Maker

SaGa Frontier I & II

Tales of Destiny I & II

Thousand Arms

Wild Arms I & II

Guest J*ingus

RPG Maker!!!  How could I have forgotten that one.  It is THE SINGLE MOST KICKASS RPG IN HISTORY just because you get to make your own f'n game.  Yeah, the graphics and sounds are kinda 16-bit-ish, but anything more complicated would've been impossible to pull off in a do-it-yourself fashion.  If you've got the patience for the time it takes, this is the coolest damn game you'll ever buy.

I'd suggest FF7 if you don't mind the out of date graphics, without a doubt FF8, maybe FF9, Legend of Dragoon, FF Tactics, and Chrono Cross, I haven't played it but it looks great and got good reviews.

Guest teke184

My thoughts on the RPGs (or RPG-related games) I've played for Playstation:

Final Fantasy 7:  Fun but overrated.  Square did too much video in order to show off what they could do on a PSX.

Suikoden: My FAVORITE console RPG of all time.  It's not sophisticated in its graphics, but it's #### fun.  Never got Suikoden II, though.

Wild Arms: Imitation of Final Fantasy 6 (#3 in the US).  Get Final Fantast Chronicles or Final Fantasy Anthology instead.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Technically not an RPG.  This game is the best reason to get a Gameshark I've ever seen.  Probably the hardest game I've played on the PSX besides Philosoma (a shooter).  Not a good enough storyline to make up for the extreme difficulty, IMHO.

Vandal Hearts:  Similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, but more fun.  Unfortunately, there is less optional stuff for you to do than in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tecmo's Deception:  Pseudo-RPG.  Very dark and interesting concept, but the gameplay doesn't hold up compared to its sequels.

Deception 2: VERY fun.  The changes in the combat system make this game LIGHTYEARS better than Deception 1, and there is more freedom to determine your own path through the game.

King's Field: Pseudo-RPG.  Don't bother because it sucks.

Guest The Man in Blak

My main recommendations would be:

1) Final Fantasy Tactics - a solid strategy/RPG that can be fatally addictive.

2) Final Fantasy Anthology - a great remake of one of the best of all time

3) Dragon Warrior VII - generally, a very fun game, very solid

4) Suikoden - it's one of the oldest, but it's got a GREAT storyline; surpasses its sequel in almost every way possible

5) Final Fantasy IX - the most accessible Final Fantasy game that doesn't kill your mind with plot contrivances until the last disk

6) Revelations' Persona - a crazy offbeat RPG set in modern times; innovative magic and combat system, including negotiation, but it's a WEIRD game, don't get me wrong

7) Lunar: Silver Star Story (and then, afterwards, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue) - Not much graphically, but a lot in the way of fun characters and gameplay.

Guest J*ingus

Yeah, what was with the end of FFIX, anyway?  I mean, the last boss was some Unknown Cosmic Force who just happened to take a disliking to you at the last minute?!  And Zidane's miraculous escape was pretty lame, and his "explanation" was even worse.  For god's sake, he and Garnet never even kissed.  THEN WHAT THE #### WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ROMANCE THEY KEPT TEASING THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE GAME?!?!?

Edit: what's with the weird cursing filter settings?  I can say fuck, but not h.e.l.l. ####?