TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Madmartigan21

Baker Street - Foo Fighters covered it

Guest Madmartigan21

This is something I've wanted to know for years.  No matter how I search for it online, I can't seem to find the original artist.  I've always liked the awesome saxaphone parts.   It was even used in the episode of the Simpsons when Bleeding Gums Murphy died.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me who originally recorded Baker Street, I'd appreciate it a great deal.

Guest LowSparkOfHighHeeledBoys

I think I remember an interview from Guitar World in which James Hetfield was making fun of Dave Grohl, which is funny in its own right, because James is a shithead, but I think i remember him saying that the original artist was Jerry Rafferty...i think I misspelled the name, but I could be wrong on that, too.

Guest Madmartigan21
I think I remember an interview from Guitar World in which James Hetfield was making fun of Dave Grohl, which is funny in its own right, because James is a shithead, but I think i remember him saying that the original artist was Jerry Rafferty...i think I misspelled the name, but I could be wrong on that, too.

You rule.  It is in fact Gerry Rafferty.  He was also part of Steeler's Wheel.  They were perhaps best known for "Stuck in the Middle with You".  You might remember that as the song that was playing in Resevoir Dogs when Michael Madsen was cutting off the cops ear.  Here is his website for anyone that is interested.

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street and Beyond

Guest goodhelmet

Yeah, if you want to buy the album, it's called City to City. Excellent classic rock album!!! get a setlist and download the whole damn thing!