TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest J*ingus

Wolverine Origins questions

Guest J*ingus

Okay, I just read the Wolverine Origin TPB the other day, and still have a whole buncha things about it that I didn't understand. (Note: for simplicity's sake, I'll refer to the future Wolverine as "John" and Dog's groundskeeper father as "Logan").

-Why was John so sickly as a child? Was he just born weak and allergic to everything, and stayed that way until his powers developed?

-Did it feel to anyone else that John's dead older brother was killed somehow because he exhibited mutant powers of his own, maybe similar to Wolverine's claws (which would explain the three huge parallel scars on John's mother)? There were some references of the "not this again!" sort.

-Why did John end up looking exactly like Logan, and so little like his own family? Was Logan having an affair with John's mother, maybe?

-And finally, one that's been debated before here: was Dog actually Sabretooth? If one could postulate a theory about 'Tooth gaining his powers late in his life, it could be, since he looked and acted exactly like Victor Creed; he just lacked the teeth, claws, and healing factor.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

We had a discussion that was similar to this a few months ago. I forgot who it was that suggested that Dog couldn't be Sabretooth since the scars that were dealt to him by Wolverine remained during his adulthood and his healing powers should have kicked in around puberty.

Guest Vyce
We had a discussion that was similar to this a few months ago. I forgot who it was that suggested that Dog couldn't be Sabretooth since the scars that were dealt to him by Wolverine remained during his adulthood and his healing powers should have kicked in around puberty.

Actually, I think that was me.

I've had it hammered into my head by Marvel that the mutant gene normally becomes active during puberty. Occasionally, it happens at birth, but I've NEVER seen them pull one out when the individual is already an adult. So Dog wouldn't be Sabretooth (unless they really want to fuck with us), because of the scars. If they DO wind up making him 'tooth - I'm gonna be pissed.

Why was John so sickly as a child? Was he just born weak and allergic to everything, and stayed that way until his powers developed?

*shrugs* Seems as good an answer as any.

Did it feel to anyone else that John's dead older brother was killed somehow because he exhibited mutant powers of his own, maybe similar to Wolverine's claws (which would explain the three huge parallel scars on John's mother)? There were some references of the "not this again!" sort.

-Why did John end up looking exactly like Logan, and so little like his own family? Was Logan having an affair with John's mother, maybe?

All interesting questions.

They'll probably hit us with another miniseries somewhere down the line that possibly deals with them.

Guest HellSpawn

By JC..."-Why did John end up looking exactly like Logan, and so little like his own family? Was Logan having an affair with John's mother, maybe? "

I think the writer or one of the guys involved in the story hinted that (the affair thing) in a recent Wizard.

Guest J*ingus
I've had it hammered into my head by Marvel that the mutant gene normally becomes active during puberty. Occasionally, it happens at birth, but I've NEVER seen them pull one out when the individual is already an adult. So Dog wouldn't be Sabretooth (unless they really want to fuck with us), because of the scars. If they DO wind up making him 'tooth - I'm gonna be pissed.

But this series struck me as being, if anything, meticulously planned. The artists HAD to know that this new character looked a LOT like Sabretooth when they drew him. My question is this: why did they make it like that?

Guest Vyce
I've had it hammered into my head by Marvel that the mutant gene normally becomes active during puberty.  Occasionally, it happens at birth, but I've NEVER seen them pull one out when the individual is already an adult.  So Dog wouldn't be Sabretooth (unless they really want to fuck with us), because of the scars.  If they DO wind up making him 'tooth - I'm gonna be pissed.

But this series struck me as being, if anything, meticulously planned. The artists HAD to know that this new character looked a LOT like Sabretooth when they drew him. My question is this: why did they make it like that?

Probably just to create a bit of controversy. Leave the readers wondering if we're not only seeing the origin of Logan, but also of Creed.

And who knows? Maybe it was done to leave them with an opening to indeed make Dog be Sabretooth, I don't know.

Guest Sassquatch
-And finally, one that's been debated before here: was Dog actually Sabretooth? If one could postulate a theory about 'Tooth gaining his powers late in his life, it could be, since he looked and acted exactly like Victor Creed; he just lacked the teeth, claws, and healing factor.

The current regime at Marvel probably will make it so that Tooth and Wolvie are related in some way dating back to their childhood's since Marvel always liked playing the "Is that my dad?" card out on Wolverine.

For continuity's sake I hope that Marvel leaves Tooth out of Wolverine's childhood and just have the two meet up when they became black ops members.