TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mole

2002 SmarK wrestling awards...

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Wrestler of the Year: Eddy Guerrero. I don't see where all this Angle love is coming from since his year was pretty god awful until the Benoit feud.

Tag-Team of the Year: Los Guerreros

Match of the Year: Eddy Guerrero/Edge, Unforgiven

Rookie of the Year: Brock Lesnar

Feud of the Year: I can't even think of one good long feud, so I'll go with Eddy/Edge

Best Face of the Year: Meh, can't think of one.

Best Heel of the Year: Out of the ring, it's Angle. In the ring, it's just gotta be Eddy.

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year: Edge

Comeback of the Year: Eddy Guerrero

Favorite wrestler of the Year: Eddy Guerrero

Most Hated wrestler(the person you hate the most): Shawn Michaels

Un-Pushed wrestler of the Year: Booker T

Too-Pushed wrestler of the Year: Undertaker

Best promo man of the Year: Probably Angle.

PPV of the year: SummerSlam

Biggest Shock of the Year: Bischoff returning

Biggest Story of the Year: Austin walking out

Saddest Item of the Year: Lou Thesz dying

Storyline of the Year: None of them were worth a shit

Best Moment of the Year: BookDust finally winning the tag titles

Worst Moment of the Year: Big Slow- WWE Champion

Worst Storyline of the Year: Two Words: Katie Vick

Worst Feud of the Year: Undertaker/Hogan

Guest humanoid92

Wrestler of the Year: Jericho

Tag-Team of the Year: The Guerreros

Match of the Year: Edge & Rey/Benoit & Angle, 2/3 Falls, Smackdown

Rookie of the Year: John Cena

Feud of the Year: Rock/Hogan

Best Face of the Year: Hogan

Best Heel of the Year: Angle

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year: Goldust

Comeback of the Year: Hogan

Favorite wrestler of the Year: Christian

Most Hated wrestler(the person you hate the most): Batista

Un-Pushed wrestler of the Year: Christian

Too-Pushed wrestler of the Year: Kane

Best promo man of the Year: Jericho

PPV of the year: Summerslam

Biggest Shock of the Year: Eric Bischoff showing up

Biggest Story of the Year: Brand Extension

Saddest Item of the Year: Davey Boy passes away

Storyline of the Year: Heyman's doings

Best Moment of the Year: Hogan/Rock post-match handshake

Worst Moment of the Year: HHH/Katie Vick video

Worst Storyline of the Year: HHH/Kane

Worst Feud of the Year: Bradshaw/Hall

Guest Slapnuts00
Wrestler of the Year: Eddy Guerrero. I don't see where all this Angle love is coming from since his year was pretty god awful until the Benoit feud.

Well he had seemingly endless good to great matches with Edge, and Rey Mysterio before the Benoit matches, but of course Eddy is definitely a good choice too.

Storyline of the Year: None of them were worth a shit

Man, you really are always pissed off! :D

Guest blachuuh_monkey

Wrestler of the Year: Kurt Angle

Tag-Team of the Year: Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit

Match of the Year: Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit vs Edge/Rey Mysterio Jr. - No Mercy

Rookie of the Year: Jamie Knoble/Brock Lesnar

Feud of the Year: Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit

Best Face of the Year: Booker T

Best Heel of the Year: Eddie Guerrero

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year: Trish Stratus

Comeback of the Year: Chris Benoit

Favorite wrestler of the Year: Kurt Angle

Most Hated wrestler(the person you hate the most): HHH/Hulk Hogan

Un-Pushed wrestler of the Year: Tajiri/Jamie Knoble

Too-Pushed wrestler of the Year: HHH

Best promo man of the Year: Kurt Angle

PPV of the year: Summerslam

Biggest Shock of the Year: Austin walks out

Biggest Story of the Year: WWF becomes WWE

Saddest Item of the Year: Bulldog dies

Storyline of the Year: Angle/Benoit's love-hate relationship

Best Moment of the Year: Nash's injury upon return

Worst Moment of the Year: Big Show wins World Title AGAIN

Worst Storyline of the Year: Dawn Marie/Al Wilson/Torrie Wilson - IT WILL NEVER END

Worst Feud of the Year: HHH/Kane HHH/Jericho Ross's Favorite tag team vs Jeff Hardy and partner

Guest Brian

His matches individually with Edge weren't that good and peaked with the first match, really failing to build a strong series of matches like Eddy did with RVD or Edge.

Guest Mole

I know this is all about one's opinion about the year, but I have to stand my point on why he is Wrestler of the Year. Here are his PPV matches, and how well he did:

Royal Rumble: Can't really count, because he was in the Rumble.

No Way Out: Angle vs Triple-Juice - **3/4. Kind of hard to get a good match out of Triple-Juice, especially when he JUST got back from his quad injury.

WrestleMania: Angle vs Kane - ** 3/4. This match wasn't as good as their Smackdown match, which was around *** 1/2. He did Kane his best match ever though, this being still one of Kane's best.

Backlash: Angle vs Edge - **** 1/4. Well, all I can say was this was a great match, with Angle carrying Edge through most of it.

Judgement Day: Angle vs Edge - *** 1/2. Not as good as their Backlash match, but still a decent match.

King of the Ring: Angle vs Hogan - *. Well, this match sucked. But it IS Hogan, and Angle isn't that much of a man.

Vengenace: Angle vs Taker vs Rock - ****. How good can Triple-Threat match be, especially containing Taker? Well, pretty good since Angle is involved.

SummerSlam: Angle vs Rey - *** 1/4. Since the styles clashed, how can you go wrong with it?

Unforgiven: Angle vs Benoit - **** 1/4. Duh.

No Mercy: Angle/Benoit vs Edge/Rey - **** 3/4. Actually, I never saw this match. But, from what I heard, this match was better than the 2/3 match from Smackdown, so this HAD to be great.

Survivor Series: Angle/Benoit vs Eddy/Chavo vs Edge/Rey - *** 1/2. Not as good as thought, but it still ruled.

Armageddon: Angle vs Big Slow - Well, who CAN get a good match out of Slow? Angle made this match, just because he bumped like a mad man.

All of his PPV matches average into ***. I believe no other wrestler who wrestled all year long, has had a great PPV average that equals a *** average. Considering the fact that four of his opponents (Triple-Juice, Kane, Big Slow, and Hogan) all suck balls and still got a decent match out of them, shows a lot for the guy. This doesn't even show his matches on Smackdown, which were all good matches too.

Three of his matches had Benoit in them, and yes those were his best matches. However, when you stick two GREAT wrestlers in the ring, of course a great match is going to come out of it.

From all of the above reasons, that is whyAngle deserves Wrestler of the Year, IMHO.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Wrestler of the Year:

Kurt Angle /Chris Benoit

Tag-Team of the Year:

Booker T/Goldust

Match of the Year:

RVD Vs Eddie Guerrero: Raw - Ladder Match

Edge Vs Kurt Angle: Smackdown - Cage Match

Rookie of the Year:

Brock Lesnar

Feud of the Year:

Chris Benoit/Kurt Angle

Edge/Kurt Angle

Best Face of the Year:

RVD

Best Heel of the Year:

Kurt Angle

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year:

Trish Stratus

Comeback of the Year:

Chris Benoit

Favorite wrestler of the Year:

RVD/Rey Mysterio/Kurt Angle

Most Hated wrestler(the person you hate the most):

Triple HHH

Un-Pushed wrestler of the Year: Where should I start.....

RVD/Chris Jericho/Chris Benoit/Booker T

Too-Pushed wrestler of the Year:

Mr.Stephanie McMahon AKA Triple HHH

Best promo man of the Year:

Chris Jericho/Kurt Angle

PPV of the year:

SummerSlam

Biggest Shock of the Year:

Steve Austin walks out

Biggest Story of the Year:

Brand Extension

Saddest Item of the Year:

Storyline of the Year:

Not sure.

Best Moment of the Year:

Seeing Booker T win a Title (Even if it's not a Singles)

Worst Moment of the Year:

Triple HHH Antics

Worst Storyline of the Year:

Kane.....You.....Are.....A.....Murderer

Worst Feud of the Year:

HHH/Kane

Wrestler of the Year:

Eddy Guerrero

Tag-Team of the Year:

Black Gold

Match of the Year:

Eddy Guerrero vs. The Rock (Dark Horse)

Rookie of the Year:

Brock Lesnar

Feud of the Year:

RAW v Smackdown

Best Face of the Year:

Edge

Best Heel of the Year:

HHH (Obvious)

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year:

Maven

Comeback of the Year:

Matt Hardy (Mattitude debut..until it just went to hell..Thanks Vince!)

Favorite wrestler of the Year:

Eddy Guerrero

Most Hated wrestler(the person you hate the most):

Triple H

Un-Pushed wrestler of the Year:

Matt Hardy

Chris Benoit

Chris Jericho

Too-Pushed wrestler of the Year:

Undertaker/HHH

Best promo man of the Year:

Kurt Angle

PPV of the year:

Survivor Series

Biggest Shock of the Year:

Nash tears Quad

Biggest Story of the Year:

Austin leaving

Saddest Item of the Year:

?

Storyline of the Year:

Brand Extension

Best Moment of the Year:

Seeing the crowd go apeshit for Hogan

Worst Moment of the Year:

HHH/Katie Vick

Worst Storyline of the Year:

Katie Vick/HHH/Kane

Worst Feud of the Year:

HHH/Kane

Guest bob_barron

Also- don't forget Angle had two great matches with Austin and dragged two okay tv matches out of HHH

Guest FeArHaVoC

Just for fun, this is from WWE.com

Kevin Kelly’s year-end awards

by Kevin Kelly

As we get ready to ring in the new, let’s look at some top performers and performances for 2002. All of these awards are mine to give out as I see fit. I keep any cash prizes and there are no trophies or speeches. This could be the best awards show ever.

Rookie of the Year—Lot of good candidates for this category but my vote goes to Brock Lesnar, who might have had the greatest first year in the history of the business. Never before has an athlete accomplished so much so fast and it will be hard for any rookie in the future to touch what Brock has done in his first year in the future.

First Runner-up—Jamie Noble. The former Cruiserweight Champion held the gold for 5 consecutive months, making it the longest title reign in the WWE this year. Not only has the West Virginia native shown enormous skill in the ring, he has consistently made me laugh on the microphone.

Match of the Year—I stood out in the arena to watch this one and it is a moment in my life I will never forget. WrestleMania X-8, Hollywood Hulk Hogan vs the Rock. I felt the emotions and saw the reactions of 68,000 fans shift like the tide through each ebb and flow of the contest. There are few moments like this in our lives and I am glad to say I was there in person to see it. We will all have a chance to relive the magic of that match and other wonderful moments of 2002 on Raw on December 30th.

First Runner-up—A tie between two brutal, standout matches.

SummerSlam, Shawn Michaels vs Triple H. Emotion, drama and an improbable comeback for one of the greatest stars of all time. This match set the stage for a tremendous series of battles through the rest of 2002.

Hell in a Cell—Brock Lesnar vs the Undertaker at No Mercy. Brock Lesnar walked into hell wearing a gasoline suit and came out alive. This match on the No Mercy DVD must be owned by anyone who considers themselves a fan of wrestling.

Event of the Year—WrestleMania X-8. The crowd in Toronto saw the greatest array of stars in history ever compiled for a wrestling event. The return of Hulkamania, the comeback of Triple H culminating in his winning the Undisputed Championship and Ric Flair vs the Undertaker. For 2002, it didn’t get any better than this. I can’t wait for WrestleMania in 2003 in Seattle!

First Runner-up—No Mercy. Combine Hell in a Cell with the finals of the WWE Tag Team Championship with Edge and Rey Mysterio facing Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit and you have a winning formula. Top to bottom, this was a great show.

Surprise of the Year—Do you have to ask? When Vince McMahon announced Eric Bischoff to be the General Manager of Raw, the collective jaw of the entire wrestling industry dropped. Vince won the war and then decided to hire the leader of the opposing army. Not only did Mr. McMahon hire Bischoff, he signed him to run the Monday night franchise, Raw. Bischoff has certainly been controversial as General Manager but I have a feeling 2003 could be even more controversial than this year has been.

Runner-up—Paul Heyman’s business savvy. Is it a surprise? No but Paul has exceeded any expectations of just how conniving and cutthroat a businessman he can be. First, he signed Brock Lesnar and rode him to the WWE Championship. Then he turned on Brock and helped the Big Show become champ. After Kurt Angle defeats Big Show at Armageddon, Heyman works a deal to represent Angle and still keep Big Show in the family. Now, Paul has the WWE Champion and a seven-foot, 500 pound monster to protect him from Brock Lesnar. Pure genius!

MVP—This is the toughest category of all to name one winner. I could cop out and name one for both Raw and SmackDown but I won’t. For me, the Most Valuable Performer for 2002 in the WWE is Kurt Angle. Standout moments include his memorable battles with Edge that culminated with Angle getting his head shaved. Add to that his ability to put his differences with Chris Benoit on the back burner to become the winners of the WWE Tag Team Championship tournament on SmackDown. Then, Angle finished out the year by becoming WWE Champion.

It is tough to imagine one athlete having twelve better months than Kurt Angle had in 2002. Congratulations to Kurt for all of his efforts. As a fan of his, I only hope that his business relationship with Paul Heyman doesn’t blow up in his face and cost Angle all he has worked for. Remember the old saying, Kurt. “When you lay down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.”

The runners-up for this category include Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Edge. Can one of these men become MVP for 2003?

What will be the match of the year? Which event will take top honors for the year ahead? Who will be the rookie of the year? I can’t wait to find out.

The past year has been a special one for me as well. I want to thank all of the fans who have taken the time to e-mail me and share their thoughts about my articles. I have gotten responses from 20 different countries around the world and no matter where you are from, we all share a few things. Passion for the WWE and respect and admiration for the remarkable athletes who put their bodies on the line for our entertainment.

I also want to thank everyone at WWE.com and the TV Studio for putting up with my antics as well as a special shout out to Dr. Tom Prichard, who is not only a friend and a sounding board but is also a mentor. Thank you for all you have taught me.

Happy New Year and Save Ron and Fez,Kevin Kelly

PS—Thoughts on my year-end awards? Have your own “Best of 2002”? E-mail me as always. [email protected]

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Wrestler of the Year: Brock Lesnar (As in most important Wrestler, not best)

Tag-Team of the Year: Los Guerreros

Match of the Year: Chris Benoit/Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio/Edge

Rookie of the Year: Brock Lesnar

Feud of the Year: Brock Lesnar/Undertaker (By default)

Best Face of the Year: Rob Van Dam

Best Heel of the Year: Chris Jericho

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year: Goldust

Comeback of the Year: HBK

Favorite wrestler of the Year: Kurt Angle

Most Hated wrestler : HHH

Un-Pushed wrestler of the Year: Raven

Too-Pushed wrestler of the Year: HHH

Best promo man of the Year: Kurt Angle

PPV of the year: SummerSlam

Biggest Shock of the Year: Vince Russo invited back to WWE

Biggest Story of the Year: WWF becomes WWE