TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

No more Talk Wrestling on talksport

Does anyone know the full reason behind Talk Wrestling being taken off the aiir?

I think this is a major set back for the British Scene. Short of entertaining me, Ive allready found myself wondering when FWA tickets go on sale etc.

Do you think it will ever come back on the air?

Myself, I thought the Alex Shane did a good job, and you cant tell me that they will get better ratings with an "Easy Listening" program.

ChUnK!

Guest BAR

No problem to me. I listened to it for a few weeks but they tend to cater for th WWE marks with about a 5 minute slot for Puro and indies.

:firing: TalkWrestling

No problem to me. I listened to it for a few weeks but they tend to cater for th WWE marks with about a 5 minute slot for Puro and indies.

:firing: TalkWrestling

Hmm, your right there. I still thought it was a good show though. Some good prizes, and top FWA news. They also had some good interviews on there as well.

I think it can only be a negative for the british wrestling scene.

ChUnK!

Guest BAR

I suppose they did do some good. I think I remember AJ Styles on their once, and I think they had Lo-Ki too.

ChUnK: Did you hear that guy who came on, (I'm not sure of his name but he gets a little bit of time on air) he dissed smarks for about 5 minutes straight!

I suppose they did do some good. I think I remember AJ Styles on their once, and I think they had Lo-Ki too.

ChUnK: Did you hear that guy who came on, (I'm not sure of his name but he gets a little bit of time on air) he dissed smarks for about 5 minutes straight!

I do remember something like that actually. Did it go along the lines of lie, Smart Marks look into things in too much depth, and that they should sit back and actually enjoy the wrestling they are watching?

I cant remember who said that, it could be different to what you are talking about?

Talk wrestling is responsible for making me an FWA fan though, so I owe something to them lol :)

Guest BAR

I do remember something like that actually. Did it go along the lines of lie, Smart Marks look into things in too much depth, and that they should sit back and actually enjoy the wrestling they are watching?

I cant remember who said that, it could be different to what you are talking about?

Talk wrestling is responsible for making me an FWA fan though, so I owe something to them lol :)

Yeah, that's the one. It was the guy who does the 'International Round-Up' < I believe that's what it's called.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

It was taken off the air as the boss of talksport is friends with a restaurant owner in London and his friend said if they played 'easy listening' music he would tune in.

That is really the truth.

Go to the forums at frontierwrestling.com to learn more.

Guest BAR
It was taken off the air as the boss of talksport is friends with a restaurant owner in London and his friend said if they played 'easy listening' music he would tune in.

That is really the truth.

Go to the forums at frontierwrestling.com to learn more.

That's just weak, very weak.

That sucks. Are sure sure that that is 100% fact? It sounds so absurd, surely the rating would have suffered from taking talkwrestling off the air.

As for the international round up, I think its done by Greg "The Truth" Lambert, who writes for powerslam magazine.

I do agree with him to some extent, because smarks can look into things in too much depth. However, at the same time, you cant expect people to 'sugar-coat' the truth and make excuses when something is crap.

ChUnK!

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Yep - its the truth. Read some of Alex Shane's posts at Frontierwrestling.com to learn more about it.

Yep - its the truth. Read some of Alex Shane's posts at Frontierwrestling.com to learn more about it.

:makes 'tut tut' noise loudly:

My respect for TalkSport just decreased further.

Damn them!

Guest Andy

Shane has also said that some smarks look too closely at things and that the only way to get the British wrestling scene fully active again is for the smarks, marks, wrestlers and bookers to get along. He cited an example of some FWA wrestlers don't even tell their friends and family that they are wrestlers because they don't want to be misunderstood.

Personally, I think the lack of kayfabe smegged everything up.

Cheers,

Andy

Guest Anorak

I thought the show got quite good when Alex Shane took over properly, he seemed a natural at the presenting job and there was a good on- air chemistry between everyone there.

At some point last summer I could have sworn them announcing that it was the 2nd most listened to show on the entire station so its a total mystery to me why they sacrificed the wrestling for this new show. There will unfortunately always be a degree of snob values to undermine how much exposure wrestling gets but given the fact the show was a success it just makes the news harder to swallow. I'd love to know how the listening figures compare between the two shows.

I thought the show got quite good when Alex Shane took over properly, he seemed a natural at the presenting job and there was a good on- air chemistry between everyone there.

At some point last summer I could have sworn them announcing that it was the 2nd most listened to show on the entire station so its a total mystery to me why they sacrificed the wrestling for this new show. There will unfortunately always be a degree of snob values to undermine how much exposure wrestling gets but given the fact the show was a success it just makes the news harder to swallow. I'd love to know how the listening figures compare between the two shows.

I dont believe for 1 second that the easy listening show draws more people than talk wrestling did.

FWA sold out the york Hall, so including those that cant make it, youve got yourself at least 2000 FWA fans alone. Add to that the WWF/E fans, and the casual listenersm, and youve got a tidy sum of people.

The other thing that confuses me is that its TALKSPORT. Why have they axed a sport based show for a music show? It makes no sense. Surely people listen to TALKSPORT to hear about sport, not to hear music (thats why there are other stations).

I fell sorry for Alex and the team, because I think they did a great job, and didnt diserve to be axed for some naff OAP music show (not that im against OAP's or anything :))

ChUnK!

Guest Anorak

I agree 100%. Its a bizzarre move on many levels and certainly a very unjust one considering the hard work that went into making TalkWrestling successful. James Whale is the only specific non-sport show people bother with on the station. Unless they're thinking of adding similar shows down the line to try and establish a new listener demographic or something they will lose a good few listeners overall.

I'm sure more wrestling fans are into football than Tony Bennett fans, Radio 4 hasn't got anything to worry about.

Exactly, it is completely bizzarre.

Unless they're thinking of adding similar shows down the line to try and establish a new listener demographic or something they will lose a good few listeners overall.

Which is stupid when you think about it, because surely they had a winning formula in place. With TalkWrestling introducing wrestling fans to the other sports shows that the station has.