TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Spaceman Spiff

Dolphins Trade for Ricky Williams

Guest Spaceman Spiff

As reported by ESPN, Williams is now a Dolphins.  Ricky's a little, umm, "eccentric", but I'll take that if he consistently puts up 1200+ yard seasons.

Guest Eraser2K2

I dont get it.  Even after reading the article, I just don't understand why the Saints wanted to trade Ricky Williams.  This is essentially a Ricky Williams for a first and third round pick deal.  Ricky Williams and a fourth rounder, for a first rounder, third rounder and fourth rounder?  I don't get it.  Even though that fourth rounder could become a first, its not worth it.  Duece McAllister is unproven, and Ricky Williams was arguably the only reason the Saints did anything with the ball last year.  But the Dolphins, watch out.  They are going to be very good next year.

Guest El Satanico

Oh don't buy into all that "he's eccentric" shit. I mean damn the guy wears a helmet during a interview as a rookie and sportscasters have shit their pants talking about how much of a weirdo he is ever since. He explained that he has always been a painfully shy person. Then of course none of the sportscaster or fans heard him and still to this day claim that he is a weirdo. He is still called a weirdo even though he hasn't done anything "weird" since the helmet thing. That's some bullshit there if you ask me. However enough of that ranting since that isn't the point of this.

Just because of this trade the Dolphins are now contenders for the Superbowl. Now all the Saints fans are going to have a nervous offseason waiting to see if McAllister actually can replace Ricky.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

I wouldn't go as far as saying they are contenders for the Super Bowl, they are still stuck with Jay Fielder at QB, but they should easily win the AFC East.  The Saints on the other hand, I had them winning the NFC South.  I sure feel stupid right now, but not as stupid as the Saints will feel about 3 weeks into the season.

Guest El Satanico

Well by them being contenders i didn't mean that Miami fans should make reservations in the city of the Superbowl. Just saying that this puts them up there with the teams that will be contenders.

As i well know anything can happen so i'm not saying they are a guaranteed superbowl bound team. But as long as Ricky doesn't get hurt for a good amount of time and they can get decent offensive line play there's no reason to think that they won't be a contender.

Jay Fielder is not THAT bad. Is he a guy that you'd want to go out and win the game for you...no he isn't. However he has shown himself to be a decent qb when he has a running game helping him. Also remember as has been shown the last two years you don't NEED a "great qb" to win. You need a good defense and a respectable running game that can keep your defense rested but not a "great qb". So as long as Ricky stays healthy the Dolphins will have both of those needs.

Guest Army Eye

The Saints are idiots.  

As a Jets fan this is not good news to me.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

HAs Ricky Williams been injured alot throughout his career? I know that was a reason why Terrell Davis was passed over by teams in the NFL draft.

Guest El Satanico

I can't recall him having any major injuries in his career. I think he was pretty much healthy thoughout college. I could be mistaken but i think the year before this last year when Saints went to playoffs was the first time he was out for a good amount of time.

However i fail to see where you're going with the injury thing and the Terrell Davis comparison.

Guest arejay

I don't pay much attention to the Saints, but I know he was injured last year for a while, shortly either before or after he reached 1000 yards rushing. I forget when.

As for the trade, cool if it breathes some life into Miami's offense. Because man, is it BORING

Has Ricky Williams been injured alot throughout his career? I know that was a reason why Terrell Davis was passed over by teams in the NFL draft.

However i fail to see where you're going with the injury thing and the Terrell Davis comparison.

What's difficult about it? I was asking if Ricky Williams has a history of injuries because things like that can make a player appear less valuable to some GMs. People are wondering why the Saints would trade a talented player to the Dolphins. Terrell Davis has proven himself to be a talented player and has won two Super Bowls with the Broncoes, but his injuries made him appear to be a liability, which caused teams to pass him over. I believe the Packers were one of those teams. Imagine Terrell Davis on the same team as Bret Favre. It didn't happen because the Packers felt that his injuries outweighed his talent. No matter how talented a guy is, his talent is worthless if hes not in the game.

I don't know if he has been injured a lot, that's why I asked.

Guest El Satanico

Well ok i did understand the injury thing so shouldn't have put that. However i don't know why Terrell Davis' draft position was brought up as some sort of comparison. Terrell Davis wasn't exactly a household name at the time so i don't think injury is what pushed him down to the 6th round unless he was hurt for half of his college career.

The Packer's with Terrell Davis = the Packers with a injury prone rb that is basically impossible to trade and they wouldn't have picked up Ahman Green who is now a more valuable rb then Davis ever will be again.

Guest converge241

Im not a fan of either team and have a strong dislike for the dolphins, but looking at this with my brain and not my heart, I can see this is nothing but good for both teams. The Dolphins will be a much improved team , and theyve already been pretty good as theyve made the playoffs 5 or 6 years straight. Fielder can go hot and cold and they'll probably spend some more time with him and maybe a qb coach to improve him. They would have been better last year if Lamar Smith hadnt fallen apart. The saints might have been able to wrest away the nfc south crown from the Bucs this year with Williams, but they would have gotten knocked out 1st round. With all these draft picks they are getting, they might miss the playofs this year but they will build into a serious contender next year.

I have a hunch that Duce will play just as good, have less fumbles and be more of a recieveing threat than williams.

Terrell Davis is a 2,000 yard rusher and Super Bowl MVP. He was somewheat of a valuable player at Georgia, but was injured a lot like he has been recently. The Packers decided that they would rather draft Travis Jervey instead of Terrell Davis because they feared that Davis might not be able to contribute to the team if he was injured.

The Packer's with Terrell Davis = the Packers with a injury prone rb that is basically impossible to trade and they wouldn't have picked up Ahman Green who is now a more valuable rb then Davis ever will be again.

I doubt you would have been saying that three years ago when Davis was the best back in the league, rushing for over 2,000 yards and winning two Super Bowls. Your opinion of him now accurately reflects the point that I was trying to make.

Terry Glenn was a big name player a few years ago, he was just traded to the Packers. The reason why he was traded is because the Patriots were wary of his ability to play the entire season. Trading him after he had his problems got them less than what they could have gotten for him if they would have traded him prior to his troubles being made public. Perhaps this is what the Saints are hoping to accomplish.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Regarding the question of whether or not Ricky is often injured, in '99 he started 12 games, om '00 he started 10 games and last year he started all 16.

Source -- http://www.nfl.com/players/133448.htm

The biggest winner in this trade has to be RW because now he doesn't have to play on that god-awful surface as much.

Guest teke184

I'm glad the Saints traded Ricky, but wish they could have gotten a little more for him.

He's VERY injury-prone.  Between accidental injuries and those intentionally inflicted by other teams (SAN FRANCISCO 69ERS, I'M TALKING TO YOU), he only spends about 6 games a season totally healthy.

He's very eccentric.  I mean, I have had Social Anxiety disorder, but my symptoms were NOTHING compared to Ricky's.  He should't have been on Paxil, he should have been on Prozac or Thorazine (heavy duty personality-affecting drugs).

He does a lot of stupid stuff.  (Yes, this IS different from just being eccentric.  Eccentricity implies that it's harmless stuff that's just weird.  Stupid stuff adversely affects your career and possibly your life)  Between a photo shoot in a wedding gown, skipping training camp for no reason, and being stopped for driving 120 miles an hour, he's shown that he could possibly do something REALLY stupid, although not on the level of a Demetrius Underwood (Severe psychological problems, attempted suicide) or a Cecil Collins (F'in MORON who failed drug tests miserably and was kicked out of LSU and off of some NFL teams for being arrested for breaking and entering as well as attempted sexual assault.)

If Miami wins the Super Bowl this year, more power to them because they took a gamble that paid off.

Guest El Satanico

Well fuck if Wedding Gown photo shoots and speeding are considered the biggest things he's done then he is a saint off football. And honestly who give's a fuck that he agreed to wear a wedding dress in a photo shoot?

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Forget the wedding dress -- I can't believe he agreed to be on ESPN's magazine cover! What a rag.

The Dolphins got Williams for cheap, so I say kudos to them. They got him for a second round draft pick which will turn into a first round pick if he gains a certaion amount of yards (either 1200 or 1400). If he gets the yardage, they win if he doesn't they didn't give up a first round pick for him.

Guest converge241

Miami got Rick especially cheap when you look at what Ditka gave up to get him.