TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest crandamaniac

Airline meals for Sale

Guest crandamaniac
Airline to sell meals

America West reportedly to start trial sale of in-flight meals for $3 to $10.

January 2, 2003: 7:45 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - America West Airlines is set to begin offering meals for sales to customers, according to a published report.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that meals will be offered for a three-week trial period on the nation's No. 8 airline starting Monday. The Phoenix-based airline drastically curtailed its meal offerings as a cost-cutting move in the wake of Sept. 11. The routes that will be tested with the "Buy on Board" program do not currently offer meal service.

The newspaper said that if America West is successful, the practice could spread to other airlines also looking for ways to trim costs and raise revenue to stem ongoing losses.

It quoted a spokesman from Northwest Airlines, the nation's No. 4 airline, saying it is looking into the idea of selling meals. It also quoted a spokesman for industry leader American Airlines as saying it has no intention of selling meals on board, although it is in early discussions to have vendors sell food at the gate while dropping meal service from domestic coach service.

American Airlines spent $778 million on in-flight meal and drink service in 2001, according to the Journal.

America West is set to charge from $3 for a snack box to $10 for a Chicken Kiev dinner, according to the report.

Now who here thinks this is a good idea? I certainly don't

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Well, I suppose on long flights they might be able to get people to spend money on food, but on short flights..not a chance.

I mean, the food sucks..and they expect people to pay almost double what it would cost at a restaurant.

Its a similar situation to getting food at a sports game I suppose..

Guest NoCalMike

$10 for a chicken dinner, well from my experience on flights, and in resteraunts, $10 is yer average price for food/drink from maybe an Applebees or Red Robin or something on that level, and I seriously doubt the flght food would be that tasty. As if plane tickets are expensive enough to cover some food.

I was watching Talkback live today and some guy on there made a good point. When you cook for 10-15 people, the food will be good, but when you are preparing advanced meals for millions of people, it just WON'T be good. Kind of like cafeteria food in school.

If this drove ticket sales down, then I would be all for it, but I have this hunch that every Airline is going to drive ticket prices higher when people refuse to buy the food, and just say, "we need to make up for the cooking costs somewhere"

Guest NoCalMike

Oh and another thing. Does anyone know the current policies about bring on board your OWN food and drink?? If it wasn't banned before, I am sure it will be now.....

Guest HecateRose

I've never heard anything about rules about bringing your own food on board (except on international flights where you have to follow customs rules). The last time I flew, which was a year ago, I brought on a lot of food for myself. It was going to be about a 9 hr flight, and airline food is normally not filling enough to sustain someone for 9 hrs. I would never pay $10 for a meal that is that bad. I think it is ludicrious for them to even consider trying this. Now, if they up the quality, it might be ok. I'd be willing to pay a little more (especially on cross-continental or international flights) for a good, filling meal, that I could actually eat in its entirety.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

If I were a struggling airline, I'd try to reach a deal with a large fast-food company, so I could sell Burgers or whatever on a plane. Millions of people fly every day, and they're basically captive. I bet more people than not would snag a burger or taco or slice of pizza...

Guest EricMM

They also said that including advertising in movie previews would lower ticket prices.

This is just another way for the industry to extort the buying public, since they will all start doing it, there will be no alternative.

Guest Mad Dog

This is so stupid.

I'm not going to pay for what they try and pass off as food.

I'm already paying an arm and a leg to fly so why should I have to give them even more money?

Guest CED Ordonez

I always smuggle cookies or some sort of snack onto the plane because the food always sucks.

Guest starvenger
This is just another way for the industry to extort the buying public, since they will all start doing it, there will be no alternative.

America West is doing it because they had previously dropped food service. So it's not really extortion.

Guest MrRant

Look at it this way.... it will help those fat fucks that are being charged extra for 2 seats to lose some weight so next time they will be able to fit into just one with out oozing into the next seat.