TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest the_Staunton

Avril Lavigne - The Essay

Guest the_Staunton

Yer right, but hey, compared to the rest of the site, it's Pulitzer prize stuff...

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

The fact that the author has control over grammar and prose makes her superior to almost everything on 411. Wrestling sites need to stick to wrestling, or to hire people who write better than taking a crap on a dog and saying "Dog, go roll around in Microsoft Word for a while, and then get back to me."

Guest Mole

I think she stinks, just another singer with 15 minutes of fame.

the Staunton, is that your last name? Because Staunton is my last name, and there are like NO Staunton's out there.

So basically, I could be related to you.

Guest Flyboy
I think she stinks, just another singer with 15 minutes of fame.

Then, let her do her thing for 15 minutes.

Those who love her will love her, those who like her will like her, and those who couldn't care less about her shouldn't be worried about her.

No use typing a lengthy essay for a person you don't like because they sing studio written music. The only thing that will get you is hits and few feedback.

Waste of time.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
Did you even bother reading that, Edwin?

I read a few paragraphs, and then realized how god-damn long it was, and so I kind of skimmed down through the rest.

It was altogether not really worth those 3 minutes or so. And the 30 seconds it's taking me to type this have become worthless as well. DAMN YOU FLYBOY!

Guest The Man in Blak

Well...criticizing Avril is like shooting fish in a barrel (Christ, that is a stupid expression), but at least CFB commented on what I feel is the most important sticking point in The Great Lavigne Crucifixion:

Lead single “Complicated” isn’t the worst thing in the world, irritating but inoffensive. You could shut it out if you needed to like a Shakaya or a Ja Rule. That’s until you see the film clip and the angle they are shooting for. As Joe Kenny points out in his review of Sk8er Boi (standard reading by the way for all Avril haters), Complicated is a song about a boy in a relationship who isn’t being real to himself, and who’s acting cool to impress the in crowd. So you watch the video and you see a stage school brat not being true to herself by pretending to be a sk8er, and thus acting cool to impress the in crowd. There are some great moments of irony in pop music (Alanis Morrisette singing “Ironic”, a song with not one ironic thing in it, and Barry Manilow singing “I Write the songs”, a song he didn’t write) but this is breathtaking. It’s a loop that would make your head spin. Those lyrics about taking off clothes that make you “dressed up like someone else” don’t hit home Avril?

Guest KingOfOldSchool

I read it all the way through. It wasn't badly written, albeit being long, and I share the same feelings every step of the way. But there's no way I'd ever dedicate that much time and effort to something I despise. It's ultimately a worthless endeavor, and it's not like Avril or her label would ever give a shit about a hack writer on a lowly site, nor would it be likely that fans of Avril would read it and suddenly change their mind.

I'll give this much to her, in that she responded to these supposed e-mails and actually backed up her words.

Guest Kotzenjunge

I had "Complicated" stuck in my head at work the other day. That was a long day, if only because "Spinning Around" didn't assert itself sooner.

Guest Mole
Lead single “Complicated” isn’t the worst thing in the world, irritating but inoffensive. You could shut it out if you needed to like a Shakaya or a Ja Rule. That’s until you see the film clip and the angle they are shooting for. As Joe Kenny points out in his review of Sk8er Boi (standard reading by the way for all Avril haters), Complicated is a song about a boy in a relationship who isn’t being real to himself, and who’s acting cool to impress the in crowd. So you watch the video and you see a stage school brat not being true to herself by pretending to be a sk8er, and thus acting cool to impress the in crowd. There are some great moments of irony in pop music (Alanis Morrisette singing “Ironic”, a song with not one ironic thing in it, and Barry Manilow singing “I Write the songs”, a song he didn’t write) but this is breathtaking. It’s a loop that would make your head spin. Those lyrics about taking off clothes that make you “dressed up like someone else” don’t hit home Avril?

Yeah, and she doesn't even write her own songs.

Guest EricMM

Its funny but no other female pop star gets the same level of hatred that Avril has been getting from people recently. Why is that?

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
It's just...so...long...

that's what she said.

I'm very proud that it took under two hours for someone to nail that. Good work.

Guest Kinetic
Its funny but no other female pop star gets the same level of hatred that Avril has been getting from people recently. Why is that?

It's based on her falsified image and everyone wanting to seem very hip and cool by debunking her. Britney Spears has gotten a lot of the same criticism for pledging her innocence and virginity in print, and then prancing around like a stripper to "Cherry Pie" on stage. I, for one, don't really see the problem with Avril or her image. She is a mainstream performer and punk--the look and the sugar-coated appropriation of the sound--have long since been co-opted by corporate America. I've seen things similar to what Avril wears in JCPenney's long before she ever came to prominence. Why all of this punkrawkhardcore crusading comes about now, while Blink182 got a free ride, is beyond me.

Guest Mosh For Jesus

You know why there is so much criticism towards her? She is an embarressment to people that listens to punk music. When teenagers look at her they think thats what all punks must act and dress like. Funny thing is punks dont dress like that. And shops like Hot Topic and making kids think that. MTV definitly isn't helping either. Putting these so called "punk" bands on TV like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan. I have talked to so many kids over the past few weeks on what they think is punk. "NEW FOUND GLORY R SOO HOTT lol" was their response. The kids are idiots and they make me embarressed to listen to punk music.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I think there's more criticism towards Avril because she's a walking contradiction. Whereas we knew all along that Britney, Christina, etc. were fake, they never tried to pass themselves off as anything else until much later in their careers (short-term). But Avril is trying to pass herself off as a hardcore punk, an expert skateboarder, and the greatest guitar player this side of Randy Rhoades.

Only real problems are that my 8-year-old nephew is more punk than her, a quadripilegic (sp.?) is better at skateboarding, and Sid Vicious is better on guitar than she'll probably ever be (and yes, I know Sid played bass).

Guest Kinetic

It bothers me that Avril Lavigne is taking the brunt of the criticism from these skateboard-toting social watchdogs, when the whole punk thing was co-opted and made a corporate commodity long before most of you (or us) were born. What's commonly referred to as "new wave" was designed by the major record companies as a way to cop punk's style but package it in a way that was digestible to the average record consumer. And that was in the late 70s/early 80s, so this type of thing is nothing new. If anything, Avril is posing as the sort of third- or fourth- generation punk that's so watered down and removed from the spirit of the original movement as to be completely irrelevant. So, basically, who gives a fuck?

Guest kingkamala

Like this article or not you gotta agree with one thing. We're all happy that Claire Flynn Boyle(At least for a while) has stopped doing her shitty shitty SHITTY tape reviews. She's like Yuna Firerose if Yuna did tape reviews.

Back on subject I think Avril is harmless. I don't get mad at her and all the other crappy pop "musicians" on the chart because I simply don't listen to them. Good or bad, pop stars NEED your attention, if you don't give it to them then they'll simply go away after a while.

Guest subliminal_animal
You know why there is so much criticism towards her? She is an embarressment to people that listens to punk music. When teenagers look at her they think thats what all punks must act and dress like. Funny thing is punks dont dress like that. And shops like Hot Topic and making kids think that.

Should it matter what people think, you lil' scamp?

And if punks dress a certain a way, that's just conformity on the noncomformist scale. Also, keep in mind it's late and I'm tired, but not enough to sleep.

Should it matter what people think?Its funny but no other female pop star gets the same level of hatred that Avril has been getting from people recently. Why is that?

The article explained that, you yutz!

And that was a good article, but the Avril bashing is nearing tiresome now. But she was responsing to e-mails and was backing her reasons, so good for her. I think I read something from her before and it sucked ass. But none of this means I'm gonna be suckered into handing out second chances.

And what's everyone's problem with the writing on 411? I don't read the articles often, but it's never really too bad.

Guest Mole

Ya know, in 5 years we will see her on E! True Hollywood Story. She sucks, and time will show.

I remember reading that she doesn't really care about all that stuff. This girl just wants to have fun. Hey, sounds like another female singer who wasn't around long.

Guest Kinetic

Hey, now. Cyndi Lauper is still around. I just heard her on the King Biscuit Flour Hour the other day.

Guest Zero_Cool

...Maybe Wendi Richter will be in her corner.

As for the editorial, at least now I have something to pull up and show to the staffers on yearbook tommorow. It kind of is a running joke to mention Avril and throw in a bunch catchphrases in that class.

Guest NoCalMike

Funny, as I don't think I have ever heard Avril herself, say she was a punk-rocker or anything of the sort. All she ever said is that she thought it was nice that teenagers were moving away from the Britney Spears era.(not a direct quote) I am more angry at MTV and magazines like YM or TEEN that use her picture and their writers come up with a headline: "Punk is back" It is not necessarily the artist that perpetrates the false notions. The magazines and networks like MTV know it is in their best interest to create a new trend, so it doesn't matter what Avril's opinion is, just what MTV "news" reports to the youngsters. As far as kids liking real punk music, well unless the are watching SLC PUNK on IFC or Sundance channel, there is not a lot of outlets for it. I think the Punk genre was more of a movement away from the norm, that was never really meant to be here that long. Kind of like Grunge, it was just a "kick in the ass" wake up call and reminder to upcoming bands that they didn't need to give in to a sound they didn't like, the difference being that a lot of punk rock was politically motivated while for the most part Grunge was not.

Guest NoCalMike

Oh and I wanted to make another point, when Sum41 came out, MTV and MUCHMusic were trying to call them punk rockers, but everytime they were there for a live interview, they tried to make it clear that they were not "punk" and didn't feel comfortable under that label. That at least showed me they knew a little something about music overall. So see, it is not always the artist that is behind the machine.