TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheOriginalOrangeGoblin

Who is the greatest face of the past 30 years?

Guest RavishingRickRudo

He wasn't a heel to us! WHOOO HOOOEY!

Bret being a heel MADE Austin. (not so much made, but gave a foil and made Austins 'to thine own self be true' attitude clearer ) and fans respected that. Austin's main fight was against hypocrisy - he did it with Bret and he did it with Vince. Fan's hate a hypocrite, Vince knows this which is why we get dumbass characters like Rev. Dvon and the RTC - what he doesn't know is that Austin brought something more to the role.

Guest TheGame2705

Bret was heel it was obvious. Bret was an excellent babyface though. He never told people to eat their vitamins or to cuss out their teachers. He basically was just about being a good guy and having people look up to him.

If someone could have been given Hogan's role then someone could have been given Austin's role. Find any ignorant white male with a baldhead who swears and drinks and push him to the top if you could do that with a jakked balding blonde guy. They played two different types of faces. Austin was the guy you wanted to be like, Hogan was the guy you wanted to look up to. It's kinda the same thing but more or less people liked Austin because they were wannabe badasses. People liked Hogan because they thought of him as a hero. Austin didn't make wrestling mainstream, fucking around with Mike Tyson made wrestling mainstream. I think it was a good point that someone else made about how Hogan couldn't have made it as mainstream without any internet or 3 weekly shows and monthly PPV's.

Ultimate Warrior was a jakked guy with light hair. He was even put over Hogan and didn't succeed that tells you all you need to know Damamaru.

Guest Respect The 'Taker

I don't agree that any one could be given either Austin or Hogan's role, Game. These are not your run of the mill grapplers, obviously, otherwise they'd be be forgotten stars of yester-year. Both Hogan & Austin share a unique blend of seemingly endless charisma, more so in Hogan's part, and that just isn't prominent in everyday stars.

And all this Bret Hart heel bullshit is wrong. Any of you watched Wrestling With Shadows? I believe Bret himself stated that in 97 he did something new when he 'was a heel in America but a face to the rest of the world', so in essence he was really both. I know in Germany when the WWF toured there in 97, the place went OFF when the Hitman performed, i believe he even carried a German flag for the occasion.

UYI

Guest Corey291
I think it was a good point that someone else made about how Hogan couldn't have made it as mainstream without any internet or 3 weekly shows and monthly PPV's.

You missed my point entirely dude.

My point was that Hogan DID make it as mainstream without the internet or 3 weekly shows and ppvs. His name was just as much as recognizable as Austins is now.

-Corey

Guest Respect The 'Taker
I think it was a good point that someone else made about how Hogan couldn't have made it as mainstream without any internet or 3 weekly shows and monthly PPV's.

You missed my point entirely dude.

My point was that Hogan DID make it as mainstream without the internet or 3 weekly shows and ppvs. His name was just as much as recognizable as Austins is now.

-Corey

Agreed, totally.

I still believe that if you ask any normal person on the street to name a wrestler they'll instantly say 'Hulk Hogan'. That itself says a lot about what the man has done.