TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Will Scarlet

49ers hire...

Guest Will Scarlet

4pers hire Dennis Erickson

Well, sounds like a choice out of left field. It does not sound too wise to me, considering he did not set the world afire in Seattle, and only had one great year at Oregon St., but maybe he'll work out in the end. For now though, I see this move being a bad one.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Agreed, couldn't they hire some black guy instead? I'm sure Jesse Jackson will be pissed off at this one...

Guest ant_7000

I thought they were going to hire Greg Blache the Bears Defensive Cordinator. I wanted him to get a head coaching job he deserves it.

Guest Vern Gagne

Yet another college coach bails out on his team. I bet Erickson told the new recruits he would leave Oregon St. if he got a better opportunity.

Guest Choken One

Why would Jesse Jackson be mad? S.F did interview Minorities...that's all Teams are required to do.

Guest starvenger
Agreed, couldn't they hire some black guy instead? I'm sure Jesse Jackson will be pissed off at this one...

Jesse might not, but I'm sure Johnnie Cochrane is fuming...

Guest DrTom

I like how ESPN has been calling his Seahawks stint "disastrous." The man was 31-33 in four seasons, for chrissakes. Sure, he never made the playoffs (though he was cheated out of it by that dubious Testaverde TD call), but how is two games under .500 over four years a disaster?

Of course, Mike Holmgren's four-year record is identical, but you don't hear much about that.

Guest Crazy Dan

Being a Niner fan, I am really disliking John York more and more. I don't get why he fired Mooch, which I wouldn't have a problem with if he replaced him with a better coach. But Erickson isn't a better coach than Mooch, IMO. Erickson is a good college coach, but I am not too sure about if he will do good. And I will be even more pissed if Erickson does jack, and Mooch turns the Lions around and guides them into the playoffs. I want Eddie D. back. He was a good owner who loved owning the team. John York probably doesn't even know who is on his team, or what a football looks even looks like. All he cares about is the bottom line, and boy do I hate owners like that. I hope and pray that Erickson will do a good job, of course, but I have feeling this is going to get ugly once again.

Guest DrTom
Mike Holmgren also won a Super Bowl before he came to Seattle.

So? Erickson won a national title in college ball. My point was that ESPN is painting him as some kind of terrible coach, when his four-year record with the Seahawks (31-33) is identical to that of Mike Holmgren. Considering Holmgren won a Super Bowl before getting to Seattle, I think his lack of success would be looked at as the bigger failure, but then again, I don't write for ESPN.

Guest DrTom
I don't get why he fired Mooch...

Because Mooch showed himself to be a gutless coward. If I were the owner, I would have fired him immediately after the Tampa Bay debacle, then chased him out of town with flaming pitch. I hope $25 million buys him a set of balls in Detroit.

Guest Vern Gagne
Mike Holmgren also won a Super Bowl before he came to Seattle. Dennis Erickson didn't have quite the same experience

Shouldn't that mean Holmgren should of done better.

Guest DrTom

That was my point, Verne. Looking at their W-L records in Seattle, they're even. Yet Erickson's era was a "disaster," but no such scorn is heaped upon Holmgren. Taking into account the considerable success he had in Green Bay, I think a sub-.500 record from Holmgren after four years would be much more of a disaster than the same record from Erickson.

Guest Vern Gagne

That was my point, Verne. Looking at their W-L records in Seattle, they're even. Yet Erickson's era was a "disaster," but no such scorn is heaped upon Holmgren. Taking into account the considerable success he had in Green Bay, I think a sub-.500 record from Holmgren after four years would be much more of a disaster than the same record from Erickson.

I know that Doc. It was directed at Rob. Holmgren does get a free pass from ESPN, because he's buddies with Chris Berman.