TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest areacode212

Pros & cons of using java?

Guest areacode212

Back in '95, everyone was talking about how everything, from computers to dishwashers, was going to be programmed in Java because of its low learning curve (if you know C/C++, Java is a breeze to learn) and its platform independence.

But I've heard a lot lately about how ill-respected Java programmers are and how much the language sucks. Could someone break it down for me? What happened to the Java dream?

Guest HDahlmear

Well, I know that it's taught here at Northern Illinois University, but as a 400-level course - and it isn't a requirement, and there's only the one course.  Then again, our program here has a strong corporate/mainframe data processing emphasis to it (we get taught COBOL here, even!);  as for ease of programming, I don't know that it would nessecarily be easier to write programs relative to other languages.  The syntax is taken from C++, and from what I've seen, it's inherited most of C++'s complexity with regard to all the various classes and libraries that exist (and are impossible to keep track of), while losing much of the utility and power that C++ had inherited from C.  

The platform independence is a strength, hence it's use on the internet.  However, it has limitations due to that.  Since the Java programs get compiled into java machine language, then run on a virtual machine (another term for an emulator), instead of the actual hardware, they run much slower than a normal program, although with simple applets running on a high speed system the difference shouldn't be noticable.  You can compile java code directly into, say, x86 binary machine code, but at that point you may as well stick to C/C++, which allow you to write low-level, system-specific code, hence improving the efficiency of the program.