TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

Blown Spots

Guest tank_abbott

I have a few "Blown Spots" I can mention off the top of my head:

Hogan/Piper vs Sid/ Flair : Sid's nailing Hogan with forearms with Hogan on his knees, as Sid's dropping his arm to deliver another Hogan flops forward and to his belly as if Sid had already connected

Hogan/Savage vs Sullivan/Flair (Texas Tornado Rules): During a 4 way brawl on Nitro just prior to Uncencored 96, Hogan and Flair were brawling on the floor and Hogan put a foam cowboy hat on Flair's head and over his face, Hogan then starts punching Flair, and Flair's trying to sell it, but can't see the punches, so Flairs jolting around while Hogan rearing back for another punch, just totally out of synch

Road Warriors vs Nasty Boyz: Hawk tries to slam Nobbs but accidently drops him as he's picking him up, the annoncers blame Hawk's "sweaty body and arms'

Hulk Hogan vs Earthquake (SSlam 90): Earthquake charges Hogan in the corner, Hogan puts his boot up and Quake misses it (or stops short) and the camera angle shows alot of air between the boot and Quake's face.

Hogan/Warrior vs Genius / Perfect: The Warriors doing a criss cross with one of the heels, and they meet face to face, pause awkwardly for a moment, then Warrior hip tosses him.

Add more if you'd like :huh:

Guest Dmann2000

I'm in agreement with blown spots regarding punches/kicks not connecting. But I've always held the belief that sometimes a blown spot like not being able to do a proper suplex in the match could be ok if you took it in the context of fatigue setting in from the match (of course if the spot happens in the first 5 minutes, ignore my comment).

Guest Kid Kablam

Actually I've heard that Sabu is as much to blame as Benoit. Since I cannot bring myself to watch it, I'll just have to listen to what others say

Guest DragonflyKid

I don't mind a spot being blown here and there as long as it's covered up well. If a wrestler blows a spot and tries the move over again it looks bad, if his opponent attacks him right away instead of stalling and waiting for the guy who blew the spot to try it again it doesn't harm the flow of the match. The Gayda match was business exposing because Trish couldn't/didn't know how to cover Gayda's blow spots.

The train-wreck matches where guys work over their heads by attempting a bunch of complicated, flashy moves and performing them sloppily are unwatchable IMO.

When a wrestler sells for a blown spot it exposes the business, if that blown spot is used as a transition where the wrestler is able to take control of his opponents mistake(Intentional or not)it doesn't do much to hurt the match.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Chris Jericho at SummerSlam 2001. He blew like 3 or 4 of them in the span of like 2 minutes.

Jericho's one of my favorites and all, but man, he sucked during the summer of 2001.

Guest Dace59

With the Benoit/Sabu thing, Sabu tries to do a swan dive sort of roll out, rather than just flipping straight over, and it cost him.

But Benoit shouldn't have throw him like that.

Jericho ALWAYS blows spots.

In his one match as Super Lyger in Japan, he fucked up a Tiger Suplex. Did it, and couldn't hold the bridge, and it just fell apart.

Really bad that was.

Guest Coffin Surfer

Has Jericho ever done a proper Tiger Suplex? How about the one at the four way match in ECW, where he hooks Scorpio's arms, and just kind of falls backwards with him. Every one I've seen, he fucks up the bridge but still tries to hold it anyway, making it look worse. If Misawa can't hold the bridge, he just lets them go and covers normally or he will switch to a waistlock.

Guest Lord of The Curry

Actually, lo and behold I've got a match of him vs Ultimo Dragon in Japan DL'd on Kazaa and he does it pretty good. Ya know, pretty good considering it's Jericho....

Guest Jack Tunney

I dont consider the end of Michaels/Ramon from SS 95 a blown spot.Had the match been a shoot,one could still fall while on the ladder.Know what I mean?

Guest bob_barron
Chris Jericho at SummerSlam 2001. He blew like 3 or 4 of them in the span of like 2 minutes.

Jericho's one of my favorites and all, but man, he sucked during the summer of 2001.

To be fair I think Jericho had a concussion in that match v. Rhyno.

I bought the DVD where they edited Jericho's fuckups and the match is MUCH better

Guest jessecartieri
Has Jericho ever done a proper Tiger Suplex? How about the one at the four way match in ECW, where he hooks Scorpio's arms, and just kind of falls backwards with him. Every one I've seen, he fucks up the bridge but still tries to hold it anyway, making it look worse. If Misawa can't hold the bridge, he just lets them go and covers normally or he will switch to a waistlock.

LOL, that happens when you sell out and neuter yourself to be in the WWE main event

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I don't mind a blown spot if, like others have mentioned before, the workers cover it up. In the real world, not every move connects, and one might try to do a different move.

Hmmm...I had an idea...

Any smarter-than-Laz fans here know of a match where a spot was intentionally blown (not to SHOW the psychology of the match, but to be PART of the psychology)? Like, take this example:

Worker A, in complete kayfabe, intentionally messes up a moonsault, landing on his back. Worker B thinks he may have the match because Worker A messed up the moonsault, so he goes for a cover, but Worker A rolls Worker B up into a small-package, getting the win. Worker A rolls out of the ring, and makes that "I'm smart" gesture (ya know, finger tapping against temple), saying something along the lines of "I tricked you, and you fell for it."

I know it's probably happened, but can anybody give me an example?

Guest Dace59

Sasuke/Lyger J Cup 94, with the messed up springboard rana was POSSIBLE an example of that.

But really, I can't see it being done, becuase it would just look bad to the fans, and they wouldn't get it.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Maybe it could be done in an IWC-oriented fed, like RoH or TNA, perhaps?

Guest eiker_ir

Royal Rumble 2001, Jeff and Matt are alone in the ring.

Jeff is behind Matt and dropkicks him but misses for like a foot, Matt stays there and kind of turns around and the sells it...crowd boos

the DVD is edited so it doesn't look that exposing!!!!

Guest CED Ordonez

Masato Tanaka's ECW debut against Doug Furnas (or Kroffat, I don't remember). The Rolling Elbow spot to finish the match was one of several ugly spots in that match. Though I'm pretty sure it was a spare of the moment deal because W*ING Kanemura was Tanaka's scheduled opponent for that show.

Barely Legal '97: Lance Storm's pussy chairshots on RVD and RVD blowing the springboard elbow.

KDX fucking up the Triple Team Powerbomb on Sasuke.

Terry Funk missing the moonsault on Stevie Richards by a mile and Stevie selling it anyway.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
Has Jericho ever done a proper Tiger Suplex?  How about the one at the four way match in ECW, where he hooks Scorpio's arms, and just kind of falls backwards with him. Every one I've seen, he fucks up the bridge but still tries to hold it anyway, making it look worse.  If Misawa can't hold the bridge, he just lets them go and covers normally or he will switch to a waistlock.

LOL, that happens when you sell out and neuter yourself to be in the WWE main event

Are you ever going to get over the "YOU SOLD OUT" kick? Christ, the match he was talking about wasn't even in the WWE. You remind me of most of the ECW drones that used to populate the internet back when Paul E.'s fed was still alive and not in danger of completely collapsing. Just get over it and move on with your life already.

Guest eiker_ir

something i really hate is when someone blows a spot that's supposed to be the finish of the match and just gets up and repeats it right up, i think they should do another move or something and THEN do the spot, makes it look less exposing...

doing it right after messing it up looks worse imo

Guest The Hollywood Fashion Plate

To me, it's far funnier when guys blow simple moves like an Irish whip or a bodyslam.

Unforgiven '98: Hawk botches a bodyslam on Billy Gunn as he is unable to lift him all the way up onto his shoulder. JR blames it on Billy being sweaty and hard to grip onto.

Rumble 2001: Al Snow tries to Irish whip Kane, but Kane doesn't have enough momentum, so Kane BACKS INTO THE ROPES and then takes the Irish whip. Geez, Kane, instead of helping the guy, you could've broken his grip on your arm or something like that....

Also, I recall that an Irish whip is botched in the first couple minutes of Kane-Angle at WMX-8, as Kane simply loses his grip on Angle's wrist. Good thing Angle didn't go very far before Kane got hold of him again and completed the move.

You also can't forget Taker botching The Last Ride on Regal, Test, and Flair.

Also, when Flair can't get all the way over the top rope off a Flair Flip, he ALWAYS has to get punched in the head or kicked quickly and then whipped into the corner to try it again. WHY can't he wait and do the spot later in the match!? It annoys me every time.

Guest NoSelfWorth
Any smarter-than-Laz fans here know of a match where a spot was intentionally blown (not to SHOW the psychology of the match, but to be PART of the psychology)? Like, take this example:

Worker A, in complete kayfabe, intentionally messes up a moonsault, landing on his back. Worker B thinks he may have the match because Worker A messed up the moonsault, so he goes for a cover, but Worker A rolls Worker B up into a small-package, getting the win. Worker A rolls out of the ring, and makes that "I'm smart" gesture (ya know, finger tapping against temple), saying something along the lines of "I tricked you, and you fell for it."

I know it's probably happened, but can anybody give me an example?

This has happened. There was an opening tag match at ECW Hardcore Heaven '95 that involved Chad Austin, Don E. Allen, Tony Stetson and someone else. They were deliberately blowing their spots, to set up an run in by 911.

As for blown spots, there was one during the Kane v Underseller match at Judgment Day in 1998. I don't recall exactly what it was, I think it was a missed kick of some kind. The crowd, who were not into the match at all, shat all over them for it.

At Uncensored '99, there was blown spot during the Stevie Ray v Vincent match. They did the spot where Vincent would whip Ray into the corner chest first, and as Ray staggers back, he would knock heads with Vincent. What actually happened was so far from what it was supposed to be. It looked horrible.

Guest Dace59

Lets not Forget Jericho's famous Shooting Star Press.

That was just practice and not in a match wasn't it?