TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Smackdown House Show results from Detroit

The entire upper deck was blocked off, but most of the lower bowl was sold out.

Note: Originally scheduled for the show was Cena vs. O'Haire, Jones vs. DeMott, Matt/Shannon vs. Funaki/Rey, and Edge/Rikishi vs. Jericho/Christian in a Raw vs. SmackDown Kiss My Ass Match. Edge was not on the show and Rey took his spot in the Raw vs. SmackDown tag match, Matt took on Jones in a singles match, and DeMott/Cena took on Funaki/O'Haire.

Opening Match: Brock Lesnar def. Big Show and Paul Heyman (Handicap Match). Tony Chimmel starts the show be saying how great Detroit is, but Heyman interupts. The crowd was all over Heyman with a "You Suck" chant, to which Heyman replied to someone in the audience "Yes, I DO suck, but your daughter taught me now". Make of that what you will. At one point, Show had Lesnar down and tagged in Paul, who cowardly kicked at Brock's body. Match ended when Brock hit show with a chair while Heyman inadvertantly distracted the ref. Heyman took the F5 afterwards.

Match #2: A-Train def. Kanyon. Kanyon gave it his all and as a result it was a decent match. Kanyon's tights resembled Storm's old Red and White tights except they were Green and Black with "Who Betta?" written on them. Kanyon kicked out of the former Baldo Bomb but fell victim to the Derailer or Train Wreck or whatever the hell the Shoulder Backbreaker is called. Kanyon got a standing ovation after the match (from me and my friend Drew, anyway.. some scattered applause from others).

Match #3: John Cena and Bill Demott def. Funaki and Sean O'Haire (Cena over Funaki, small package). Cena cut an anti-Detroit rap promo ("I ain't even tryin, the worst NFL team is the Detroit Lions" or something like that). Good heat, decent match. Mostly heels beating Funaki, brief hot tag to O'Haire who rocket launched Funaki onto Cena while the ref was yelling at DeMott. O'Haire took out DeMott and Cena packaged Funaki. O'Haire and Funaki hugged afterwards to some cheers.

Match #4: Nathan Jones def. Matt Hardy (Version 1.0). Matt cut a promo, asking if those were boo's he heard (I informed him it was "Boo-urns", but he continued to run down Detroit). Short match, Jones didn't look as bad as I've been led to believe, but not a tremendous talent either. I'd say he did better than Batista.

Match #5: Billy Kidman def. Jamie Noble (/w Nidia). Good match, better than the last one I saw live at Vengeance. There was a blown spot where either Kidman was too far or Noble didn't sell it, but the always trusty "Opponent Powerbombs Kidman, Kidman does a Faceslam" spot ended with Kidman landing on his ass and Noble still standing. They quickly transitioned from that to that powerbomb Kidman does that D`Lo did too (Raiden bomb?) followed by the SSP.

Bonus Match: Steve Gray and Canadian Change vs. Soda Vendors Who Won't take 3 Canadian Quarters. Also known as 15 minute intermission.

Match #6: Team Angle def. Los Guerreros. Not much heat (some people hadn't returned from intermission yet not to mention some people view the Guerreros as heels) but it picked up near the end. Team Angle went for a second Superkick / German Suplex Combo on Chavo, but the ref ended up getting in the way and was knocked out. Eddie hit Haas with the tag title with no ref. I apologize for forgetting the finish, but I believe Haas pinned Eddie with an Oklahoma Roll after the ref got up.

Match #7: Nidia def. Torrie Wilson (Special Ref: Dawn Marie). Bad match that seemed decent live, mostly due to all the interest from the male fans. At one point, Torrie and Nidia did the trademark "let's roll around, have the ref jump over us, continue rolling around and take the ref with us" spot, with the added twist Dawn was the ref, so you had tree chicks rolling around together. Torrie hit her Neckbreaker of Doom, but Dawn didn't count it. Torrie argued, Nidia rolled her up, fast count by Dawn.

Match #8: Rikishi and Rey def. Jericho and Christian. Comedy to start (Jericho promo, Christian standing on the ropes and falling down when Jericho high fives him). A good match live with both god comedy and good wrestling, but also some slow stuff when Rikishi was in. Finish involved Christian choking Rikishi on the middle rope, setting up a 619 from Rey and a Belly to Belly suplex by Rikishi (I think...). Rey and Rikishi gave stereo stinkfaces to Jericho and Christian respectively and danced with Brian Hebner and a little kid they brought into the ring.

Main Event: Kurt Angle def. Chris Benoit. Some people left early to avoid traffic... shame, as the match was much slower than TV bouts but got quite good at the end. I assumed Lesnar would do a post match run in, but was quite surprised by who DID show up. Benoit had Angle tapping in the crossface but Charlie Haas distracted the referee while Shelton hit Benoit with the title belt. After the match, RHYNO came out to a huge pop and everyone went nuts as he gored Charlie and Shelton. Benoit and Rhyno had a staredown and shook hands.

Good show overall, I really enjoyed it. I just wish people wouldn't bring signs to house shows

credit: 1wrestling.com

Guest Mik at Cornell

I know you didn't write the recap, but someone should tell the person who did that him and his friend standing and clapping for someone doesn't constitute a standing ovation.

Guest wwF1587

man what happens off camera is more entertaining and sounds better than wahts actually being shown on television....

Guest Choken One

I kicking my own ass for not getting those Smackdown tixs when i could...I'm missing good shit...

I just KNOW I'm gonna miss on the SMD House Show

Benoit/Rey Vs Team Angle match!

Guest TheArchiteck
I kicking my own ass for not getting those Smackdown tixs when i could...I'm missing good shit...

I just KNOW I'm gonna miss on the SMD House Show

Benoit/Rey Vs Team Angle match!

;)

I should have went to this show........

Would have been cool to see a Rhyno appearance.

Guest Youth N Asia

I almost went to one of the Michigan shows...I didn't have the heart to see a Raw one, I just haven't read anything good about recient ones, and I just didn't feel up to going to a Smackdown one.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

In honour of the new formed team of Chris Benoit and Rhyno, I have decided to debut to the smartmarks forum the critically acclaimed poem which was inspired by the "Little Arm All Stars"...

Little Arms

Reach as high as you can, oh little arms;

As high as your dreams or arms will allow.

For you are Satan’s Bastard Child,

Here to destroy us all,

With your oh so little arms.

Try to punch me little arms;

Oh wait, you can’t,

Because your arms are so short.

Gimmie a high five little arms!

Oh wait, so sorry,

You can’t reach me with your little arms.

You cry at night in your little arms,

because of said arms.

Your legs are perfectly normal,

which is even worse,

because it makes your arms seem smaller.

Cry Satan’s Bastard Child!

Cry in your little arms because you have no future.

You say that you are a person too,

I laugh at you.

Fore your arms are so little and disproportionate.

It is a funny joke.

It is a joke where every one laughs but you,

Little arms.

It is gods way of saying you are Satan’s Bastard Child!

Guest El Satanico

Good put Rhino on Smackdown and keep him far far away from Evolution and a certian career suicide attempt.

Kanyon and Rhino both on Smackdown is great news. I guess i can live with Jericho and Booker T being stranded in the wasteland known as Raw since Smackdown has plenty of possible "main eventers"

Guest MrHell

Sooooo ... from this and the Manitoba house show results, they're booking SOH as a face? This had better be one of those "Done on the road, but forgotten about on TV" things.

Guest El Satanico

Most likely they're just experimenting to gauge crowd reaction to face and heel O'haire.

Guest Choken One

I like it...not the funaki part...But they are testing the waters with O' Haire...His character defines tweener right now as you can argue he's a heel or a Face...

His promos indicate he will be a Heel in nature...

Guest HollywoodSpikeJenkins

RHYNO~!!!!~~!!~!

ON SMACKDOWN~!~!~!~!

THANK GOD

Guest tpww7

Rhyno wont be on SD... the show was from Detroit, Rhyno's hometown, so he made an appearance.

Guest Youth N Asia
Rhyno wont be on SD... the show was from Detroit, Rhyno's hometown, so he made an appearance.

Yeah, and on the house shows lately they've really been mixing up the rosters. There was Jericho vs Angle in Canada this weekend.

Guest Youth N Asia
That's all right, they can leave Jericho with the SD crew :)

I second the notion

For the record, I wrote those results, along with those same results with a few more notes.

I'm pretty sure Rhyno was only used for the hometown pop and will debut on Raw as early as tonight with Evolution.

As for the Kanyon standing ovation that wasn't really a standing ovation, I was sorta trying to make the statement that Drew_K and I gave him enough of an ovation to make up for the people who SHOULD have been giving him a standing ovation (I think adding in parentheses that "the two of us did, anyway" showed I was overstating our applause of Kanyon due to the fact we think he rules).