TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JangoFett4Hire

Death toll raised to 39 at RI Club Fire...

Guest JangoFett4Hire

A West Warwick nightclub burst into flames during a pyrotechnics display at a Great White rock concert, killing at least 39 people and injuring more than 150 as mobs of concertgoers frantically rushed to escape the raging fire.

Guest Texas Small Arms 09

I saw on the news this morning saying that they didn't have a permit to have indoor pryo

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Yeah, there are conflciting reports as far as the pyro permit. The band says that the club owners had given the go-ahead to Great White's fireworks. But the club says they did no such thing. Apparently, the sound proofing material behind the amps is what caught fire. A Providence station was filming the concert to go along with a story about dangerous club capacities in relation to the tragedy in chicago this week. They actually have footage of the ceiling catching fire and you can see people in the crowd pointing towards the exits. What a nightmare.

Also: because the club was so small, there was no sprinkler

system required by the city of West Warwick.

Who will be legally liable for this disaster? The club? The band?

Both?

Guest Kingpk

The band's guitarist is still missing, so is a popular radio DJ.

The death toll is up to 60 now and expected to rise.

Guest converge241

they were saying on the news that 9/11 crisis training actually helped the many hospitals deal with taking in all the patients

Guest Nevermortal
Anyone else find this story hilarious?

I mean what idiot has pyro in a freaking club

Its not hillarious when 65 people die.

Guest Kingpk
Anyone else find this story hilarious?

BAD choice of words there Bob. I'd call it just plain sad and tragic. Both the band and the club have some explaining to do.

Guest converge241

since the club owners made a statement that they didnt know about the pyro and that they dont let bands use it i phoned newspapers and the states fire marshall office to let them know that is a lie and there is evidence to the contrary , bands have used pyro there before, and the club actually used that as a selling point to attract crowds

Guest JangoFett4Hire

No Bob Barron

It's like asking anyone if they found the Phil Hartman story hilarious. Seriously though. This is Troy McClure, you may know me from such murder/suicides as...

Guest converge241

"I mean what idiot has pyro in a freaking club"

when i saw the ad for the kiss cover band playing there saying "full pyro" those were my exact words... i said it not even thinking of the safety issue but just a "rock semantics" thing

like you just dont have it even if the club has sprinklers etc.

Guest McLeary
It's like asking anyone if they found the Phil Hartman story hilarious. Seriously though. This is Troy McClure, you may know me from such murder/suicides as...

Now this story is very tragic and not at all funny( though what happened does seem to be the result of monumental stupidity), but I have to admit that quote right there actually is, albeit in a very, very dark way.

Guest Vern Gagne

How did the guitar player not make it out. I saw Jack Russell on TV last night and he said they immediatley got him out of the club. It would seem like the entire band would of been together.

Guest bob_barron

Okay-

The 65 people dying- not funny

Someone dumb enough to have a pyrotechnics display in a club- funny.

Hope that clarifies it

Guest Kingpk

It's 95 dead now.

EDIT: If the owners don't get criminal charges leveled against them, there will still be one hell of a civil suit. Apparently neither the band NOR the club applied for a permit with the FD to use pyro.

Guest Texas Small Arms 09

Guys, you should be alittle sensitive to other posters on this board...bob, I think one of our fellow posters doesn't find this at all funny. Next time you open your mouth look who it affects.

Note: I'm not the one if affects, but I know that it did affect one of our posters here. So next time be alittle more sensitive to others around you.

Guest Nevermortal

Yes. You should've stopped yourself and said "What if William Regal were in there?"

Guest Youth N Asia

Club capasity was only 300, and was said not to be full.

95 dead...

180 injured...

So almost everyone got hurt, and 1/3 of the people died...that's a fucked up statistic

Guest Vern Gagne

Great White says they got the Ok from the Club's owner to use the pyrotecnices. The owner says Great White use the pyro without his permission.

Wonder which side is lieing.

Guest Kingpk

But neither of them got a permit from the West Warwick FD to use pyro, so they're BOTH in trouble.

Guest bravesfan

Has anyone else, besides me, seen the video? They played the clips of the pyro going off, then the wall beside it immediately catching fire. Except for the first few rows of fans (and the unknowing band themselves), everyone reacted in time after they realized the ramifications of the fire.

I'm BAFFLED as to how that many people were seriously injured, or have died. Even an club in over-capacity could've gotten a lot more people out of there before the entire club was engulfed (three minutes, according to CNN).

Right?

Guest Mad Dog

A lot of people just freeze up in these situations. Some people will just stand there starring blankly at the fire until they're dead.

That's what makes these situations worse.

Guest Kingpk

There were 4 exits available, I believe, but the whole place was filled with thick smoke within SECONDS so people panicked and tried to go out the way they came in, the main entrance, which was pretty small. The fire department said the place was fully engulfed in 3 MINUTES. That's not a lot of time to get 250 people out one door.

Oh yeah, and some people thought it was part of the show, so it took a few more seconds for the realization to sink in that this was bad.

Guest CED Ordonez

What also didn't help matters was the fact that the whole place was in flames in a matter of a few minutes. Also, alot of people in the building panicked and tried to get out through the front door instead of using the fire exits.

Guest NoCalMike

I am still in shock that, that many people went to see Great White in concert. hahaha....Ok, seriously, the whole situation sucked. I'd bet on EVERYONE getting sued here. 2 major nightclub incidents in the span of a week....well I am going to a club in San Francisco next week for a Metal Concert, so ummm...*gulp* wish me luck.

Guest phoenixrising
Great White says they got the Ok from the Club's owner to use the pyrotecnices. The owner says Great White use the pyro without his permission.

Wonder which side is lieing.

I wouldn't be surprised if both were. Kingpk brought up the fact that neither got a permit from the local FD. According to what I saw on the news, Rhode Island had a two stage process - first the fire marshal inspects the facility and approves it for use of pyrotechnics, and then someone (not sure if it is the club or the band) must obtain a permit from the fire department.

The Abrams Report had an interview with a club owner in Minnesota where a similar situation occured, last Monday in fact. A band brought the pyro in and set it off, and the club filled with smoke. Unlike the RI club this one had sprinklers and the club personnel anticipated such a situation and got everyone out. Also, the club had metal roofing and brick walls which probably hindered the fire spreading, whereas it looked like the RI club had wood walls.

So something like this seems to be common. Considering converge241's experience that this club has advertised pyro before, I wonder if something was being done off the books, maybe the club looked the other way while the band brought the pyro in or something.

Just speculation. Such a tragedy to see people go somewhere just to unwind and have fun and wind up being killed or injured. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victim's families.

Edited again because proofreading is necessary.

Guest Vern Gagne

I heard tonight on CNN that the owner of the Stone Pony says that Great White used pyro without getting his permission.Although other clubs said that Great White did ask for permission.