TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Mighty Damaramu

Gamespot.com......

You know I was reading through Gamespot.com's reviews seeing what I should buy and I realized. This is a horrible source for me to find out if I like a game or not! I disagreed with all of their reviews! Games I hated they loved! Games I loved they hated! Like the AKI WCW/WWF games. They were all over them and I loved all those games!

Anybody else disagree with them a lot?

Guest redbaron51

Gamespot?

What the ####?

You actually go there.

EGM is better

Guest Kingpk

<< This is a horrible source for me to find out if I like a game or not! I disagreed with all of their reviews! Games I hated they loved! Games I loved they hated! >>

Do the reviewers know what you like in a game?  No. These are just opinions by individuals who write for the site.  Don't go by them to figure out whether or not to buy a game.

Guest The Man in Blak

Gamespot tends to review much more towards mainstream tastes.  Which means that, while No Mercy may be one of the greatest wrestling games of all times and one of the top three games released in its genre, Gamespot usually gives it a 7 because it's a solid game, but it's not really a mainstream game.  I know, it doesn't make much sense considering how popular wrestling is, but for some reason, Gamespot refuses to acknowledge the wrestling game genre as a popular mainstream type but gives fighting game after fighting game 9's and even 10's (e.g. Soul Calibur).

Another thing with Gamespot is that they review in a similar manner to "art critics", like people who review music.  A really fun game will only get a higher score than an 8 if it's "revolutionary" or if it introduces new gameplay conventions into its particular genre.  Otherwise, it's just an "entertaining diversion" and it's only recommended to fans of the genre.  

If you're looking for game reviews more based on "fun factor", I'd recommend checking out EGM, which was also mentioned earlier in the thread.  Also, as far as RPGs go, I'd check out the Gaming Intelligence Agency (www.thegia.com), as they're a great site for RPG reviews that are more based on fun than on creative and technological achievement.

Guest redbaron51
IGN had good reviews. I mean the reviews tend to be decent, but there was no biased about sports, rpg, and wrestling, just the reviewer

Guest KoR Fungus

GameSpot reviews are generally well thought out and a very good read.  They're much more in depth than anything you'll find in a magazine, and usually more in depth than what you'll find on IGN.  So for that reason, I like the site.  I don't necessarily agree with them about everything, and I definitely agree with the reader who mentioned that they tend to like what's mainstream.  I don't like the fighting game example, since I tend to agree with them that general fighters (TK, VF) are deeper, better balanced and more fun than wrestling games, but my big beef with them is RPGs.  They seem to bomb all the smallish, niche RPGs.  I remember thinking how absurd it was that they gave the original Suikoden like a 6.3, without really justifying the rating anywhere in the review, when I and pretty much every other critic loved it.  So, read the reviews, but take the final number with a grain of salt.

Guest The Man in Blak

One thing about Gamespot is that they do have a pretty wide cast of characters that do reviews for them...and some are definitely better than others.  When you have 15+ people doing reviews on a numbering system like that, all with different opinions, there is definitely going to be room for error when comparing different reviews.

Guest One Bad Apple
Do the reviewers know what you like in a game?  No. These are just opinions by individuals who write for the site.  Don't go by them to figure out whether or not to buy a game.

ONE BAD APPLE:

Geez, just leave him be ... he's only 13.

Another thing with Gamespot is that they review in a similar manner to "art critics", like people who review music.

ONE BAD APPLE:

I hate people like that.  

MUSIC REVIEWER:

The standout track is without a doubt "Lace the Clouds," in which frontman Kendall Hendricks' gargling-with-glass timbre seamlessly fuses together a post-punk brand of mellow emo-core with the throbbing, prolix backbeats common to the underground trip-hop scene in Eastern Europe.

ONE BAD APPLE:

Fuck off, you pompous, pretentious ass.

Fuck off my post.

"Do the reviewers know what you like in a game?  No. These are just opinions by individuals who write for the site.  Don't go by them to figure out whether or not to buy a game."

I know. What I was trying to say is that if a game is not at the video store to rent then I look at many different reviews to see if I might like it. But I realized i can't use Gamespot as one of these sources because they hate everything I like.  

"Geez, just leave him be ... he's only 13."

Actually I'm 17.

I know. What I was trying to say is that if a game is not at the video store to rent then I look at many different reviews to see if I might like it. But I realized i can't use Gamespot as one of these sources because they hate everything I like.

Then don't go there. Its not a big deal man.....don't be so upset about stupid shit.

I personally just go through vid game mags at my book store. Or I go check GameFAQs since they usually have tons of reviews for new games. Plus sicne anyone who is a member can do a review you get a good genral opinion.