TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

Would you have cut Emmitt Smith?

Guest Redhawk

Emmitt is still pretty good, and Troy Hambrick is NOT the back of the future. So why did Jerry Jones cut Smith? Any thoughts?

Guest Mad Dog

He's expensive. He's slow getting to the hole and their line sucks. Smith is a back that needs a good line to be effective and he doesn't have that. Why pay big bucks for a sub 1000 yd. back?

Guest Flyboy

Without question.

He simply costs too much when Dallas can get lucky and get an RB from the Free Agency or maybe even the Draft. Stephen Davis (former Redskin), Larry Johnson, Justin Fargas... I'm just throwing names out, but still... I would have cut him.

Guest Redhawk

For one, Emmitt is the only "draw" the Cowboys have. No one is going to buy Terry Glenn or Dexter Coakley jerseys. Also dumping a guy who was so loved by fans won't help as far as earning their loyalty goes. Plus, he's better than anyone they have at RB and can still get off some games.

Guest Mad Dog

It's Dallas. The name sells itself.

They're just like Cleveland. You can put any scrubs on the team and the fans will sell out every game and the team will be profitable.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Absolutely. I would have cut him a couple of years ago if he wasn't close to the record.

Guest Flyboy
For one, Emmitt is the only "draw" the Cowboys have. No one is going to buy Terry Glenn or Dexter Coakley jerseys. Also dumping a guy who was so loved by fans won't help as far as earning their loyalty goes. Plus, he's better than anyone they have at RB and can still get off some games.

Blah.

The fans whether have a winning season than a washed up running back that isn't helping the team.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Emmitt just overstayed his welcome. Perhaps if he would have taken a paycut he could have stayed, but then you would still have toput up with his bitching and grandstanding every week. I got tired of that a couple of years ago, right around the time when the Cowboys should have been trying to trade him.

Guest razazteca

I think Emmith Smith was to get a big payday something like 10 million.

I hope someone breaks the All-Time rushing record again and does it fast.

Guest El Satanico

If he accepted a pay cut down to the veterens minimum AND didn't demand playing time while accepting role as mentor to the younger backs I would've kept him.

However if he refused both of those things then I would've said goodbye to him as well.

Guest Flyboy
I hope someone breaks the All-Time rushing record again and does it fast.

Who would you consider being that talented to do that?

(I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm saying who do you think can do it.)

Guest El Satanico

Well regardless of talent...No one is even close to 17000.

After Emmitt what's the most running yards a active player has.

Unless Barry Sanders suddenly decides he want to play again it will be awhile until someone takes the record.

I don't give a fuck if Terry Tate gets the All-Time record, I just don't want Emmitt to have it. I was pissed off that Barry Sanders retired when he did becuse he could have had the record years ago. I guess you can't make someone do something they don't want to do.

Guest Flyboy
I guess you can't make someone do something they don't want to do.

Enough money could change a person's decision.

Guest Vern Gagne

Thankfully Jerry Jones isn't getting the heat he got when he fired Tom Landry.

Guest DrTom

I would have tried to get Smith to restructure his deal, for a MUCH lower salary, and the understanding that he's not going to be the feature back. Toss some incentives in there so he can still pull down some good coin in case he ends up starting at some point, but that's it. If he wouldn't agree, I'd definitely cut him. Stephen Davis would be a good pickup for the Cowboys, provided they improve their O-line.

Guest NoCalMike

Emmitt pretty much sealed his own fate by not being willing to relieve the cowboys organization of salary cap hell and not accepting the fact that they need to groom a young RB to be his heir to the throne.

Guest Redhawk

Even if he restructured his deal, why should he have to accept a backup position in MARCH? Seriously, what happened to guys winning their starting position in training camp instead of in the offseason. First the Rams announce that Warner is their starting QB without giving Bulger the chance to win the job, then Jones wants Emmitt to be a backup to ... whom? Like I said, Troy Hambrick is not very good. Let Emmitt go to camp and if he's the bext back there, give him the job.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"If he accepted a pay cut down to the veterens minimum AND didn't demand playing time while accepting role as mentor to the younger backs I would've kept him.

However if he refused both of those things then I would've said goodbye to him as well."

Agreed. I think with the new coach it was time for Dallas to go in a new direction, which always means making a few tough choices to some fan favs...

Guest phoenixrising

I would have cut him. Emmitt is nowhere near what he used to be in his prime, and Dallas doesn't have the kind of offensive line that would make him effective. Plus he's demanding a large sum of money when he is clearly not up to the level of his salary. Cut him, and use the money to pursue a free agent runner, or maybe go after a running back in the draft. Though I really don't see any high first rounders as far as running backs go.

Guest phoenixrising
Well regardless of talent...No one is even close to 17000.

After Emmitt what's the most running yards a active player has.

Unless Barry Sanders suddenly decides he want to play again it will be awhile until someone takes the record.

Jerome Bettis has 11,542 rushing yards. Not sure if he has much of a chance to hit 17,000 because he seems ot be getting hurt every year now.

Barry has 15,269 yards, which is 1,893 behind Emmitt. Assuming Barry was to come back in true Barry form he'd break that in a season.

Faulk and Martin both have over 10,000 yards. But Faulk gets a lot of yardage as a reciever because the Rams prefer to pass rather than run. Martin on the other hand is very consistent, but could he rip off seven 1,000 yard seasons in a row?

Eddie George has 8,978, but he's really slumped the past two years...his best days could be behind him.

Guest El Satanico

Bettis will never make it. The Bus is running on empty.

Faulk could get close, but I doubt he'd get enough running yards on the Rams to get the record. Unless Martz has realized that he needs to run the damn ball a fair amount. How old is he?

Curtis Martin has a shot since he's the featured player on the Jets when healthy. How old is he?

Eddie George could do it since he's still pretty young. However we don't know if he'll bounce back from his struggles the last two seasons.

Guest phoenixrising
Faulk could get close, but I doubt he'd get enough running yards on the Rams to get the record. Unless Martz has realized that he needs to run the damn ball a fair amount. How old is he?

Curtis Martin has a shot since he's the featured player on the Jets when healthy. How old is he?

Faulk and Martin will both be 30 years old when the season starts.

Guest El Satanico

Then it's possible but will be difficult for them to reach it. Most RBs can't remain on a high level into their late 30's. They both have about 5 good years left.