TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KANE

Cocaine Use and Advice

Guest KANE

Ok, so I'm involved with this girl, and she has mentioned a curiosity for trying coke (snorted only; not crack). I admit freely that I know nothing about the drug--never tried it, never been in its presence, never curious about it.

We've been talking about smoking weed (she's never tried that before), and that I'm fine with. Marijuana is a pretty innocuous drug that is a part of normal experimentation. Coke was one of those drugs I always thought was a really big deal. She makes it sound like it's not (i.e: "Even esctasy is more dangerous [neither of us have tried that, either]," "There's no physical dependence to coke").

I'm worried because coke just sounds like the doorman to the world of hard drugs. Not only that, but what if it changes her personality and she's a different person than the one I liked? All drugs, legal or not, can change you...but I wonder if coke is the one that can just chemically alter your brain. I mean, at least the lesser drugs are more or less "social enhancements," but this sounds like a drug for people who want to just alter their realities, or am I wrong?

What if she fucks everything up in her own life? I won't stand in her way if she wants to do it; she's an adult. It's just that I'm drawing a line in the sand for myself at weed.

Here's my question: am I just being a dorky prude and coke isn't that big of a deal? Or is she being a total idiot, and I'm validated in my worry that she'll just change for the worse? Thoughts, information, insights from those experienced on these subjects, PLEASE.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
There's no physical dependence to coke

That's horseshit. I can tell you that from experience.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Well, if she's chunky snorting coke for a little while will slim her down...

Guest nl5xsk1

Let her try it ... she'll do it for a while and then realize that it's not enough fun to keep on doing. I went through a phase (that I have to admit lasted a few years, off-and-on) where I dabbled in the Devil's Dandruff, but finally realized how little fun it really was and stopped.

Plus, the whole "gateway drug" theory is such bullshit it's almost laughable.

Guest Matt Young

It's funny that you'd post this now, seeing as last night my best friend/girlfriend revealed that she has been occasionally dabling in coke. I knew she tried it the first time, accidentally, in some laced weed, but I didn't think she'd want to do it again. I'm scared for her... I love her more than life itself, and I don't want her to hurt herself first and foremost. I also don't want to see a change in her personality. She's perfect to me just the way she is. She only does it maybe once a week, and I know she can't afford to do it regularly, but pretty girls get offered free shit a lot from guys who are looking to take advantage of them. I have a couple friends whose lives have gone down the shitter from coke use, and my sister was anorexic and suicidal for the better part of 3 months while she was using coke. I agreed not to tell anyone about Mandy's use for now, but I told her straight up that if I notice any negative effects, I'm going to take action. She means too much to me... I refuse to allow anything bad to happen to her. Am I going about this the right way? I hope so...

Guest swan

Ever seen what a chick will do for another line? That alone would want me to steer her clear if I was in a serious relationship with her.

Guest Matt Young

She claims she's not addicted, but I know she has occasional cravings, and that's at least a partial addiction. I just don't know how to get her to stop since she refuses to admit there is or could be a problem. She subscribes to the drug addict philosophy of "Well, if it gets to be a problem, I'll stop," but by that point she probably wouldn't be able to. She also uses the fact that she can't afford it (she works for near minimum wage, part time) as a defense. What can I do to get her to stop without ruining our relationship?

Guest swan

Where is Rochester?

Anyways I don't have personal experience of a girlfriend into hard drugs. I've gone out with drinkers, pot smokers, and the occasional acid hit, but nothing on this scale. I did have a girlfriend in hs when I was 16 that went from being a cute little cheerleader type to full blown stoner in a matter of 6-8 months. I wasn't into it at the time so that pretty much crashed and burn. From what I see a chick that developes a problem will find a way to fund the crave. Either by stealing, borrowing or the occasional trick. If she has an addictive personality you could be in for a wild ride. I have friends that have dabbled with coke and either they walked away or developed a problem. And they will all tell you it's not worth it. I think if you truely love her you need to confront her. Don't attack her, but basically lay yourself out there and let her know your concerns. I truely hope she is upfront with you. Sounds like she may be running with a rough crowd or something. Hope it works out for you.

Guest Matt Young

Well, I just talked to her maybe for 10 minutes on the phone about it, but she couldn't talk long. Her car broke down and she needed to find a ride to work (my car is broken down now too, which means I couldn't help). She asked me to come in to see her at work, so I'm going to get a ride to the mall in a while. I'm hoping that on her break we can discuss this a little. I'd rather do it face to face than on the phone, and I don't know if I'll get to see her again until Monday since she's grounded (she's 17 and lives with her mom). I'm doing my best to convince her to quit, but I'm afraid I'm sounding too parental. She still seems to think that she can quit if it starts to get out of hand, but I tried telling her that there's no way to know. She said she has thought about quitting though, and I hope she was sincere when saying that. She's the most honest and trustworthy person I know, and she's never given me a reason not to trust her, but drugs can do strange things to people...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I'll let you know if there is any progress made tonight. And to answer your question, Rochester is right outside Springfield.

Guest snuffbox

Uh...yeah, coke has a SERIOUS physical dependancy. If done regularly to minimally its a guranteed addiction. It WILL grab hold. Especially somebody who has never done anything before, herb, X, or coke. It is one of, if not the, most addictive pop drugs on the planet.

Ive lost love to it and had my own dance with devil. Whoever told her it doesnt have a physical addiction is full of shit and doesnt care about her in the least. If shes knows what shes doing then experimentation is cool. It doesnt sound like she knows what shes doing. It is VERY addictive. Physically and psychologically. Know this, its true.

Guest KANE

That's what I thought. I wonder who she knows where she thinks it's not a big thing...

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Coke is MASSIVELY addictive. As in, she may already be hooked depending on how long she's been messing with it.

My entire family has a long and storied history of drugs of all types, just trust me on this.

Guest DrTom

She's being a total idiot. Cocaine is both physically and psychologically addictive. I would seriously question the intelligence of anyone who gets involved with it. It's not your job to protect her from herself, and doing coke is indeed her mistake to make, but if you don't want to be a part of the situation anymore, more power to you.

Guest MrRant

I say suprise her with a line of coke as a present and then when she goes to snort it.... blow it away.

If she gets majorly pissed then she has a issue.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That's a waste of money.

The stuff's seriously not worth messing with. I lost plenty of time and money to the crap. I'm never touching it again.

Guest DrTom

What's the point of bumping it? So more people can say cocaine is an addictive waste of money that only total idiots bother with? How much more of the same advice is necessary?