TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"Bumfights" filmmakers sued by...

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

So a man who lives in the public domain (aka the street) has a problem with privacy issues? Methinks a lawyer looking for a quick buck is involved...

http://www.adn.com/24hour/entertainment/st...p-5685043c.html

SAN DIEGO (March 7, 7:58 a.m. AST) - A homeless man is suing the makers of a videotape sold over the Internet, saying he didn't give them permission to film him fighting a homeless woman.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Superior Court, Peter LaForte, 31, said that his right to privacy was violated and that he has suffered "constant shame, embarrassment and humiliation" as a result of the nearly hourlong video.

LaForte said the four filmmakers paid the 275-pound woman to fight him and he tried to decline before she attacked him in a beach restroom in 2001.

The brawl is the first scene on "Bumfights: A Cause for Concern," which also shows a homeless man ripping out his front tooth with pliers and another ramming his head into a steel door. The video, promoted by radio shock jock Howard Stern and denounced on the floor of the House of Representatives, sold more than 300,000 copies at $20 each.

The filmmakers "should not be allowed to profit from their wrongful conduct," said Mark Quigley, LaForte's lawyer. LaForte is seeking unspecified punitive damages.

Attorney Doug Gilliland, who represents the filmmakers, said he believes the lawsuit will be dropped after his clients tell their side of the story. Felony battery and soliciting charges against the filmmakers were dismissed in January after a judge decided there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute them.

I didn't even know "Bumfights" existed until a few months ago. Last summer I had an idea to go into DC with a few friends - bring a camcorder, a Burger King extra value meal, and $20. Put the food and $20 in the middle of the two bums and see which one could get to them first.

Either that or a bottle of Jack Daniels...

Guest phoenixrising
Hey, wasn't this on Dragnet?

It was. When I saw it on there I thought it was just an idea the writers threw out there. This must be what caused them to write that episode.