TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EL DANDY~!

Matches that were supposed to be great...

In the same form as the "Great matches that had no right to be great" thread, what are some of the more dissapointing matches between superstars that should have resulted in a classic match?

My obvious choice is RVD/Benoit at SS 2002, because this match, if only RVD would have done a little bit of selling, would have been THE SHIT, sez me.

Guest bob_barron

Austin v. Angle Unforgiven 2001

Completely underwhelming considering their other matches

Guest razazteca

Sting vs Brett Hart in WCW was a match of no selling, stalling and general waste of time.

Guest nWoScorpion

I hate to say it but Bret/HBK from WM 12. Bret completely no sold HBK working on his arm since HBK worked on it for about 15 minutes, no one wanted to give up the firs tpinfall, and generally the first half hour is boring.

Also, Perfect/HBK from SSlam 93. Explanations explained above.

Guest Redhawk

Sting vs. Hogan from Starrcade

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (Iron Man Match)

Edge vs. Christian (IC title match, Ladder Match)

Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy (any time)

Kurt Angle and Jericho don't really seem to have that chemistry.

Guest bob_barron

Eh-

I don't think Sting v. Hogan was supposed to be great.

Jeff and Matt had an AWESOME hardcore match on Smackdown! in 2000.

I think Jericho and Kurt have good chemistry- They always seem to put on good matches and I remember a fantastic 6 minute match in 2001,

Guest bravesfan

Any of the 3 televised meetings between Steve Austin and Chris Jericho (Vengeance 2001, RAW the next night, No Way Out 2002). It's probably contributed to their lack of chemistry, yet both have had ****+ matches with both Kurt Angle and the Rock.

At the 2001 Rebellion PPV, they pull off a **** match.

Guest Si82
I hate to say it but Bret/HBK from WM 12. Bret completely no sold HBK working on his arm since HBK worked on it for about 15 minutes, no one wanted to give up the firs tpinfall, and generally the first half hour is boring.

I totally agree with the match being underwhelming at the time. However, I did watch it again and it did seem a lot better.

It was still unwhelming considering the hype that went into it.

I'd also say the three-way tag match with the smackdown six at Survivor Series last year was slightly dissapointing.

Guest converge241

Sting - Hogan Starcade 97 (not for workrate but for pure storyline suspension of dibelief type culmination)

The final 2 of the WM 2000 4 way main event. Rock and HHH should have tore it up in the ring

Guest bob_barron
Any of the 3 televised meetings between Steve Austin and Chris Jericho (Vengeance 2001, RAW the next night, No Way Out 2002). It's probably contributed to their lack of chemistry, yet both have had ****+ matches with both Kurt Angle and the Rock.

At the 2001 Rebellion PPV, they pull off a **** match.

They're match in June 2001 was also underwhelming.

They did have a pretty good match on Smackdown in august 2001

Guest My Eyebrow is on fire

Kurt Angle v.s. Triple H at - uhhh which PPV was it, the one after the royal rumble....

I was expecting HHH to be the same worker he was when he got hurt - even if he wasn't I was expecting angle to carry him....

pure magic I suspected....it was pure steroid induced shit.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Kurt Angle vs. Triple H at Unforgiven 2000

Not only was it a bad match, but it was supposed to be Kurt's big step up to the next level and instead HHH humiliates him.

Guest bravesfan

Totally forgot that Austin and Jericho had a great match on RAW in June of 2001 (It's on the Action! DVD).

Guest Just call me Dan

I'll agree on Benoit and RVD. Good god that went 5 or 6 minutes too long with no selling and a slow pace. RVD looked like shite.

You may think I'm a moron for saying this but I was really expecting Steiner/HHH at RR03 to be decent. Steiner's last Nitro match was pretty good, and HHH looked to be trying hard in the beginning, from there......

Guest papacita

Although everyone else seems to love this match (or at least like it in some form), I was incredibly let down by Taker/Austin from SummerSlam 98. I mean, I had butterflies in my stomach the day of the PPV (something I hadn't experienced in years and haven't experienced since) and by the time the match was over I was just like "that's it???" I dunno what I was expecting, but what we got certainly didn't live up to those expectations.

Guest snuffbox

My biggest letdown was Starrcade 97. Hogan-Sting and the entire card. Just sadly pathetic all around.

Guest JHawk

Don Muraco-Paul Orndorff at WrestleMania 2.

I wasn't expecting a ***** classic, but I expected better than a 4-minute draw.

I honestly thought the Warrior-Rude cage match from Summerslam 90 was going to be better than it was because of their match the year before

Guest Choken One

Jericho-Austin has to be considered a disapointment...Never understood why they never clicked...

Guest Rob Edwards

Angle/Benoit from Judgement Day 01 although a lot of that was down to the gimmick

Austin Vs Owen from Survivors 97 was also a dissapointment but understandable when you take Austin's injury into account

Guest natholy

Owen Hart vs 1,2,3 Kid at King Of The Ring 1994 the Kid had his back and neck totally worked over by Jarrett in the early match (at the end of that match Jarrett nailed a number of piledrivers) and they built it up as if he weren't going to show up for his next match up VS Owen Hart..

So he comes out holding his neck looking like shit and then as soon as the match begins he starts going through his typical highspots and not even selling the neck/back one bit..

It just really annoyed me because I was right into the fact that Jarrett had screwed him up big time and Moonson and Savage were putting it over on commentary and everything and then he comes out and just does highspot after highspot not selling shit.

regards nate holynski

Guest mw679

Bret vs. HBK- Survivor Series 97. Of course, the aftermath is what made this match famous, but the MATCH itself was disappionting. I can remember JR hyping the hell out of the match weeks before and when it happened I kinda shrugged, like "That's it?" Of course, once I realized what had happened, it definitely made the match seem more exciting.