TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest notJames

Axl plans to sue Offspring

Guest notJames

Axl Rose Threatens To Sue the Offspring

(taken from 411Music)

According to Janet Charlton's "Star People" column in Star Magazine, Guns 'N' Roses frontman Axl Rose is not a fan of the Los Angeles punk band the Offspring.

Apparently the Offspring thought it would be funny to call their new album, Chinese Democrazy (You Snooze, You Lose). A little twist on the title Guns 'N' Roses eight years in the making new album, which has yet to see the light of day.

While the Offspring thought the title was clever, Axl Rose was not laughing. He had his lawyers send the band a cease-and-desist letter just in case.

Source: Charlton, Janet "Guns N' Lawsuits" StarMagazine March 25 2003

-----

Ugh. I hope both the ensuing battle wipes them both off the face of the earth.

Guest Youth N Asia

I like The Offspring.

And it's not like there's never been two albums with the same name before.

I'm going to laugh when I hear how bad Axl's GNR cover band's cd sucks.

Guest FeArHaVoC
Apparently the Offspring thought it would be funny to call their new album, Chinese Democrazy (You Snooze, You Lose). A little twist on the title Guns 'N' Roses eight years in the making new album, which has yet to see the light of day.

LoL, that is pretty funny.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

But they don't suck. I have seen them and I am a beleiver.

Guest Lethargic

Um, hello? Did anybody check the source on that? First of all it came from 411. HA!! 411 stole it from the Star tabloid magazine. Double HA!! Yeah, this is a true story.

Guest razazteca

Until I see this on Celebrity Justice I shall not be a believer. Only tv news is real news, where is the Extra or ET reports.

:firedevil:

Guest snuffbox

If Chinese Democracy does see the light of the day, Im pretty sure it wont suck.

Ive heard a number of the songs that might be on the record, and its quite good. 'Madagascar' in particular.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

"The Blues" is my favorite song from the bunch.

"Madagascar" is solid and "Chinese Democracy" really rocked live.

The album won't suck. Axl can still write and the people he's surrounded himself with, while not Slash or Duff...can all play.

People will just say that it "Isn't GNR". Well...Use Your Illusion doesn't sound like Appetite...but its all GNR.

Guest snuffbox

Woulda hoped that maybe this could have gotten Axl to get his cd out...

Too bad hes goin all Lars Ulrich these days.

Guest goodhelmet

depressing. i could give a shit about the offspring but axl is just a parody of a washed up 80's glam rocker. he's not even the real deal anymore. fuck him and his 'ego'

Guest converge241

oh my god thats the best thing ever

axl has no legal ground because you can have the same album or song name

Guest swan
Source: Charlton, Janet "Guns N' Lawsuits" StarMagazine March 25 2003[/i]

Star magazine bwahahaha. If you think this is true I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale..................

Guest Youth N Asia
People will just say that it "Isn't GNR". Well...Use Your Illusion doesn't sound like Appetite...but its all GNR.

It's not GNR when it's just Axl and a bunch of the new guys, it's just...Axl and a bunch of new guys. I would call it GNR with Axl and Slash together.

The band Slash has now with Izzy and Duff...THAT'S Guns N Roses.

Guest redbaron51

All hype, hit for a bit, it goes into the closet and you go back to the better stuff (see History...IE...Michael Jackson)

Guest Plushy Al Logan
People will just say that it "Isn't GNR".  Well...Use Your Illusion doesn't sound like Appetite...but its all GNR.

It's not GNR when it's just Axl and a bunch of the new guys, it's just...Axl and a bunch of new guys. I would call it GNR with Axl and Slash together.

The band Slash has now with Izzy and Duff...THAT'S Guns N Roses.

It also has Matt. I recently saw Steven "Popcorn" Adler, on Court TV, he discussed his 1993 lawsuit against G N' R.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

People seriously have to get over this. If Slash hadn't given up the rights to the name Axl couldn't call it that.

But he did, so he can, and he does, and we deal with it.

Slash's Snakepit proved that it takes more than a great guitar player to make a band.

Guest Youth N Asia
He looks like Chris Nowinski. </wrestling nerd>

Or at least his stuck in the 80's older brother.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I still refuse to write off GnR 2.0, namely because Buckethead, while I'm not a fan of his, is a flat out better guitarist than Slash is overall. Slash can BRING the epic feel to a song but other than that he's passable at best. As idiotic as Buckethead looks and acts, he's a very very accomplished player who can do any style necessary. He's not as good at the epic solos and the ilk, but he can out play Slash in pretty much any other category.

Of course, this is all a mute point if Axl is a controlling dick who refuses to let the man create and forces him to stay within a very small mold of what he thinks the guitars should be.

I'm sorry, I'm rambling.

Guest Flyboy

I can't take anything you said seriously since you said Buckethead was better than Slash, M_A.

I'm sorry.

Guest FeArHaVoC

Who the Hell is Buckethead anyway? Who did he play w/ before Axl's GRN tribute band?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Buckethead is one of those oddball solo guys that is really goddamn good. I know he did some material with Primus, which I was fortunate enough to see live. Excellent, Excellent guitarist.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Slash just never did much for me. Once you heard one of his solos, you heard them all more or less. I just wasn't a fan.

Buckethead's shit is just so...unique. He actually tries something different every time he plays, something Slash never did quite figure out.

Guest B-X

Buckethead has done over 100 albums filling in as guitarist. The man is a fucking genius. He also built a chicken coop in the studio during the recording of Chinese Democracy. You know, with live chickens and everything.

Guest Respect The 'Taker

The name Guns N' Roses is owned by Axl Rose. Axl and Izzy thought of the name, and Izzy has been long-gone since 1991. Therefore it is pretty obvious to me that Axl can call his cat Guns N' Roses and have it release an album and it still be legal, BECAUSE HE OWNS THE NAME.

Whether people ignorant enough to think that no other man or musician can replace the original line-up and refuse to call it Guns N' Roses recognise this fact or not, matters about as much as Saddam's opinion to Mr.Bush.

i.e - Fuck all.

I'm also happy to see all the Buckethead praise from people who have actually seen his work. I'm not sure if Flyboy has, so therefore i won't comment on his stance with Slash, but it's all in opinion and taste really.

I love Slash, but Buckethead is too freaky good not to love. His robot dance OWNS.

Oh yeah, and Offspring suck balls.

UYI

Guest GeneMean

Buckethead makes Slash look like a 6 year old that picks up a guitar for the first time. Don't get me wrong, I like the GnR era Slash tons. While he was good, he was still pretty much a one-trick pony as far as lead guitarists go. He could've done so much more but instead plays everything from the comfort of those oh so crutchable pentatonic 'boxes.'

Guest saturnmark4life

Maybe I should brag about seeing them live at leeds last year more. Didn't realise there were so many fans. Is Brain from Primus actually playing on the album or did he just do the live shows?

Guest Youth N Asia
Oh yeah, and Offspring suck balls.

Unlike GNR they've at least been relivent the last 8 years.