TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Youth N Asia

I can't watch the nba anymore

Guest Youth N Asia

In the early 90's I use to watch a lot of basketball...now I just can't sit through an NBA game.

The game is slow, the exictment is gone. It's usually dish the ball to the big man and stuff it in....or give it to the overpaid point gaurd to drive it in and get a foul.

And fouls, you cannot even touch the guy without drawing one...these crybabies need to toughen up and take a little tap to the arm for what it is; a tap.

And it sickens me that someone like Sprewell can be employed. Something that attacked their boss with intent to harm...it's not like he did it once and left...he left, then came back to attack...that is premeditaded (sp)...if that was you or me we would have been fired and sent to prison.

And they don't even call traveling...why even have the rule?

I wish the owners would have kept the paychecks to something reasonable, then maybe the game would be better because the egos would be less.

Guest DrTom

I've never been a fan of the NBA, for a lot of the reasons you cite.  Basically, I think they all can be traced back to the rise of David Stern, and the emergence of individual, marketable stars like Magic and Bird.  Stern cashed in on them with lucrative TV deals, and at the same time, changed the game to stress individual efforts and achievement as opposed to solid, fundamental team basketball.  I see more basketball players "hot dogging" than players of any other sport; the problem is, it's sine qua non to the most visible basketball league in the world.  What good playground player doesn't want to be the next Iverson, or McGrady, or Kobe?

"And it sickens me that someone like Sprewell can be employed. Something that attacked their boss with intent to harm...it's not like he did it once and left...he left, then came back to attack...that is premeditaded (sp)...if that was you or me we would have been fired and sent to prison."

I loathe Sprewell for that incident, and the fact that he still earns a paycheck is an indictment of sports' place in the culture and legal system.  The whole thing could have been escalted had Coach Carlesimo pressed charges for assault and battery, but he declined to.  Sprewell then should have been banned for life, but instead got only one year, which ended up getting reduced in arbitration anyway.  The whole story is big, festering mess.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Recently I was watching a few "classic" playoff games between teams of the 80s -- particularly the Celtics and Hawks. And what I saw on the court was amazing. The passing, the finesse, the SCORING! Also, everybody’s shorts weren’t ready to fall down.

Although I watch the NBA from time to time, and especially during the postseason, it's amazing to see how the game has changed in almost a generation. Sadly, in my opinion, the change wasn't for the better.

Guest redbaron51
neither can  I. It seems like the 90's in all the sports have declined

Guest Vern Gagne

The downfall of the NBA can be pinned on the Detroit Pistons. By today's standards they really aren't that boring, but the set the example of a defensive style winning the title. Teams know care more about defense, than offense. What the #### is wrong with a good offense all game, solid D for 46 minutes, than in the last 2 minutes pick up the defensive intensity.

Guest Kingpk

I used to be a big Celtics fan in my youth (mid-late 80s), then after the Greatest Frontcourt in NBA History (Bird, McHale, Parrish) all retired and the team completely went to shit under Pitino and the guy who coached before him, I swore off the NBA.  The focus has shifted way too much on individuals, I mean, Shaq and Kobe account for more than 50% of the Lakers offense.  There's something wrong there.  Plus, I just can't agree with high schoolers throwing away scholarships and a chance to improve themselves for a fleeting chance at glory.

<<neither can  I. It seems like the 90's in all the sports have declined>>

Not the NFL, it has exploded in the past 5 or 6 years.  The Patriots Super Bowl video/DVD has sold 500,000 copies (possibly 600,000+ by Father's Day), the best selling sports video in history.  Football has become the new national pastime.

Guest AaronRock70

Blame the Pistons and defense for causing the downfall of basketball all you want, but think about something. The players are paid to win. If defense wins, then why should they worry about scoring in the 100s if they don't have to? There is beauty in defense if you are a real fan.

Guest The Man in Blak

I point my finger at the NBA referees, who have consistently found a way to ruin almost every game in the last seven years.  The only sport that is even comparable in levels of referee discontent from the fans is the NFL.  The NBA is essentially standardized street-ball, with the refusal to call fouls on money players like Jordan, Iverson, and O'Neal/Bryant and other petty make-up calls that make Mr. Stern and his television ratings that much happier.

Guest goodhelmet

I agree with many of the criticisms of the NBA, but my Spurs are on an 11 game winning streak so I'm excited!!!! Plus, Duncan is so sound in his game that even Shaq has been known to call him the "Big Fundamental!"

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly
I loathe Sprewell for that incident, and the fact that he still earns a paycheck is an indictment of sports' place in the culture and legal system.

Even though it was scripted, I bet you loved it when Austin was doing it to Vince McMahon though.

Guest Ripper

PJ Carlisimo has almost come to blows with Cliff Robinson, Rod Strickland, Latrell Sprewell, Jerome Kersy, and god knows who else.  Not condoning what Sprewell did, but if everywhere you go some one is trying to kick the shit out of you MAYBE you need to look at yourself for some of the blame, too.  NOONE should ever be banned for life for something like that.  You are saying he shouldn't be alowed to make a living because he lost his temper?  It was a mistake....a BIG mistake, but he lived, learned and is a better man for it.  If a guy gets in a fight with his teamate at practice, they get suspended at most...Why should it be any different with the coach.  Its the same thing...a teammate said something that made them mad enough to want to hit them, so they did.  Coach said something that made him want to hit him, so he did. Now I still think that the punishment for fighting in the NBA should be more severe, but you can't ban a guy for life for a fight.

Guest MoneyIvezaj

Watch Some Pistons games there the shit!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Wallace is God

Guest Youth N Asia

Pistons...first place, yeah? But I still cannot name 5 people on the team. Now the Mid/Late 80s and early 90s Pistons I could watch.

Thank God for our beloved Red Wings.

Guest Ripper

My team for life, the Phoenix Suns, have once again created another great team due to dumb trades.  Cliff Robison is what the Pistons were missing for a very good team...and they got him for NOTHING!!!  Boston needed a bench...and they got Rodney Rodgers and Tony Delk for NOTHING...New Jersey...I'm not even gonna get into that.

A couple of years ago they did the fabolus job of giving Dallas Michael Finely and then Steve Nash for NOTHING.  

Alot of cities should be thanking the Colangelos.

Guest MoneyIvezaj

Ripper u make a good point

Jerry Stackhouse and Ben Wallace both should have been all-stars over Alonzo Morning and Baron Davis.