Smackdown spoilers

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

WWF Smackdown spoilers

by Robb Block

WWF Smackdown

Staples Center

Los Angeles, CA.

Feb. 5, 2002

The WWF Desire video was shown at the open and the only names in the video that got reaction were current guys like Rock and Austin, plus Hogan, Andre, and Michaels.

Val Venis defeated Randy Orton with a reverse figure four type submission hold. Orton looked good, but crowd did not respond to him at all. Val did his pre-match routine picking out a girl to remove his towel.

Ron "H20" Waterman beat Rico Constantino with a double underhook into the power bomb. After the match a bunch of refs and a medic came in, but Constantino got up and seemed fine as he was helped to the back.

Test pinned Spike Dudley after the big boot to the face.

Scotty Too Hottie beat the Hurricane with a roll up after escaping from the Eye of the Hurricane. Molly was at ringside. Jacqueline was the ref. After the match Scotty danced and then so did Hurricane. Molly came in and did the worm.

Kane beat Christian with the chokeslam. Christian was hilarious throwing a temper tantrum in the ring after Kane kicked out of a reverse DDT. Kane got a huge pop coming out.

Lance Storm defeated Tajiri in a non-title match with the Canadian Mapleleaf. Torrie Wilson attended to her man after.

Diamond Dallas Page retained the European Title beating Boss Man by DQ when he tossed the referee. After the match Page gave Boss Man a Diamond Cutter. Page left through the crowd and Boss Man chased the ref away.

The ropes and aprons were changed for Smackdown and Lawler and Cole came out.

Some girl came out to sing the National Anthem and was very good except the crowd kepting chanting What? at her and you could see she was going to start laughing, but managed to get through it.

The Rock (in his wrestling gear) went to teh ring and started to call out Undertaker when Booker T. showed up on stage. Booker said after he beat Triple H last week he was going to do the same to Rock. They ended up fighting. A ref ran down and the match took place. Booker did the spinaroonie, but Rock nipped up and then delivered the spinebuster and People's Elbow for the win.

A video played promoting that the nWo would be at No Way Out. Several nWo packages aired throughout the show.

An interview from earlier in the day aired with Triple H and Stephanie talking to an Australian doctor. He said the pregnancy was going well and she was eight weeks along.

Kurt Angle came to the ring pushing a baby carriage. He said he thought Stephanie would be a good mother, but that Triple H was not even a man, but more of an ape which led to Angle pulling out a stuffed ape toy from the carriage and calling it Game Jr. Eventually Triple H came out and attacked Angle.

They played the Scorpion King movie trailer which received a huge pop since I guess it is the People's Movie.

They showed a wedding invitation to invite everyone to watch the Triple H/Stephanie vow renewal on Monday.

William Regal & Dudley Boyz beat Edge, Rob Van Dam, & Rikishi in a pretty hot six man. Rikishi gave Bubba the stink face, but ended up getting the 3D after. Regal nailed Edge with the knux after on the ramp.

Chris Jericho came out and said he doesn't want to wait til No Way Out and called Austin out to have the match. A Stone Cold impersonator (Will Sasso from Mad TV) came out and did a pretty good Austin and basically sucked up to Jericho and got down on his knees and kissed Jericho's boots. The real Austin ran down and nailed Jericho and then did a long segment with Sasso

which ended up with the usual What? chants and beer plus a stunner for Sasso.

Paulina from the original Tough Enough was shown in the crowd. Motorhead was also in the front row as Triple H later went over to them several times.

Jericho was in back and Ric Flair told him he was facing Triple H in a non-title match later.

Maven won the Hardcore Title beating the Undertaker. Taker dominated Maven and also beat down Al Snow who came out with Maven. Taker chokeslammed Maven, but Rock ran down and clocked Taker with a chair and gave him a Rock Bottom and Maven got the pin.

Jerry Lawler went to the ring for the posedown with Chuck & Billy vs. Stacy & Torrie. Each team was given three poses to do and the fans would decided the winners. Chuck and Billy had some gay looking shorts on and then proceeded to act really gay doing their poses. Torrie and Stacy did their poses to a

big pop (at least from the men that is) and they won. After Stacy attacked Torrie and of course Lawler got in between the fight certainly to his liking.

Goldust vs. Godfather was ready to go, but Van Dam ran in and attacked Goldust who then bailed from the scene.

Vince McMahon was on the phone when Triple H came in. He told Vince how he didn't like him and so on, but said Stephanie wanted Vince to walk her down the aisle on Monday. Triple H said Vince would never get near his kid. Vince then makes the Triple H vs. Jericho match a handicap match with Angle teaming with Y2J.

Coach talked to Rock as he was leaving the building, but Undertaker attacked Rock and chokeslammed him on the hood of a car and gave him the Tombstone on the car's roof.

Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho beat Triple H in a handicap match. Crowd was really dead for this match for the most part. Match ended with a chair in the ring and Angle hit the Angle Slam on Triple H twice on the chair and he pinned him. Stephanie then came out and Triple H used the chair on Jericho and Angle. Triple H hugged Stephanie. Angle came back and nailed Triple H

who landed on Stephanie. Angle left, but Triple H called him back out and he gave Angle the Pedigree and then did some posing for the crowd.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

1.  So there is a hardcore championship.

2.  Handicap Main Events suck

3.  6 man tag=worst RVD use yet.

4.  Angle somehow added to another Main Event.

Looks like everything I've seen in the last several months.

Do you think that the plan is to make ratings as bad as possible...to make the nWo's return LOOK like it made a difference?

Guest Kagato Otaku

I'm sure someone'll come along and say Maven isn't a quality champion along the lines of Pete Gas and Bobcat the Ho.

Such is smark life. :)

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

What's worse is someone will inevitably respond with:

"I guess that puts the Undertaker won't put people over theory to rest"

Because they don't understand that this was just to advance storylines with the Rock and get the hardcore title back on tv.

Guest Kagato Otaku

Yup. But do try to act surprised when it does. No sense spoiling everyone else's fun.

Guest The Vanilla Midget

Maven isnt a quality champion, just like Pete Gas and Bobcat the ho... :)

but seriously, the wwf needs to decide whether to keep maven in HWA, or bring him up to tv full-time.  i dont think a half and half approach will work too well.

also, the wwf must have been reading this board, cos the other day somebody mentioned that maven was the only man in the rumble never to hold a wwf belt.  see, they do listen! :)

Guest The Vanilla Midget

so he hasn't, i thought he had, but then i forgot that he only held the wcw tag belt, never the wwf ones.

Guest Kagato Otaku

You've got me all wrong Vanilla.

Who is Maven to think he's a worthy champion the likes of Rodney and Headbanger Thrasher? What has this rookie done to challenge the legacy of Viscera? Who is he to think he can put on matches the caliber of Brisco vs. Patterson in hardcore evening gowns or Al Snow vs. Pierre the Moose-Head?

And who are you to doubt El Dandy?

Guest The Vanilla Midget
Who is Maven to think he's a worthy champion the likes of Rodney and Headbanger Thrasher? What has this rookie done to challenge the legacy of Viscera? Who is he to think he can put on matches the caliber of Brisco vs. Patterson in hardcore evening gowns or Al Snow vs. Pierre the Moose-Head?

And who are you to doubt El Dandy?

damn straight, we need to get bradshaw and his baby oil in here quick to teach this boy a thing or too about paying his dues.

aside, never did i doubt El Dandy, never!

Guest Tony149

Why did they bring the Hardcore Title back? Well, I know why, but the title is shit and once again adds too many titles. Not surprised the Triple H handicap match had a dead crowd. HHH seems slower and is using mostly his 3-5 moves. If he uses five, he's giving Bret a run for his money.

Guest Big Poppa Popick

you know what?

im cheering for maven in his attempt to live a darn dream, and all y'all can do is moan and groan about what's happening to him

the sheer fact that they're utilizing him is a good thing, and he has a good backstory know with undertaker...for later

smackdown sounds like its a good show, with some good action and good plot development...

seriously, yall are pathetic with your constant whining

Guest Kagato Otaku

I'm ever so glad my abuse of sarcasm went completely over your head to the point where you think me, or anyone else here, was whining about Maven winning the title. Gold star!

Quit yer beetching and read what's written before you post.

Guest Carbon Tiger

I just wish they'd figure out what to do with the WWF hardcore title. Is it a joke title or a title to be valued. RVD elevates it, UT doesn't defend it now Maven wins it.

Of corse it seems aside from the unified title they have no clue what to do with the title belts.

Guest JAMES900

I think maven has the hardcore champ could be good, as hardcore matches don't relay on skill much, all he need to be able to do is throws a good chairshot.

Guest Tony149

I don't have a probably with Maven as Hardcore Champ. I'd like to see the belt get dropped for good. You have to think the other male Tough Enough contestants were saying "That could of been me."

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Hardcore Matches suck, period.  They should only be brought back for the occasional Street Fight, like Cactus/HHH at Rumble 2000.

Handicap matches suck.  I would rather have a tag match main event.  

Why is Maven around, but Perfect is stuck in dark matches?

Isn't it sad that Maven can beat Taker, but DDP can't?

Guest Tony149
Isn't it sad Maven can beat Taker, but DDP can't?

Good point. I just want the hardcore title dropped so "hardcore" matches can go back to their undercover names i.e. Falls count anywhere, Street Fight, No Holds Barred (Not the movie).

As for Mr. Perfect, I read the WWF is doing some of the classic "perfect promos" he used to do, that will air on TV to introduce him to the newer fans who don't know who he is.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Ok.  That would be good.  You think most people would remember who he is though.  Rap is Crap wasn't that long ago.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Smackdown looks pretty underwhelming to me.  I'm looking forward to:

--Posedown

--Possibly the handicap match.

--err, that's it.

Hopefully, it will be better on TV than it looks on paper (or, in this case, the monitor).

Some gripes:

--Booker jobbing to Rock again?  Why?

--Goldust & Godfather in the ring for a match w/ each other?  RATINGS!!!  Glad RVD put an end to that.

--Maven?  Yeesh...

Guest Tony149

Most WWF fans didn't watch WCW. So it's understandable they don't know who Hennig was as Mr. Perfect. They better give him a reaction, though. I want Mr. Perfect on my TV screen. :)

I'm interstead to see the reaction RVD gets when Smackdown airs. RVD was said to have gotten a big pop with lots of RVD chants. Supposedly the WWF is editing out the "RVD" chants.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Why would they edit out the RVD chants?  With everyone else they just ignored the pops anyways.  Like with Jericho in 2000, who was getting more heat than RVD is now.

Guest Tony149

I have no idea why the WWF is supposedly editing out his chant. Unless they plan to turn him heel or something. Which would be a mistake as RVD has a moveset that fans pop for and has his "it's cool" personality.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

If he becomes a serious performer and dumps his ridiculous move set, I might actually begin to like the guy.

Guest Choken One

Even if RVD just did a Dicuss punch for a finisher, he'd still be huge over. It's not the Moves, although it's a part of it, but his Charisma, Coolness, Unorthodox style and his kick ass outfits all play a part in the reasoning of RVD overness.

Guest Big Poppa Popick

kagato,

quit YOUR beetching

i wasn't even referring to you or your jest...aight bud

ask first, dont assume

thanks

Guest JAMES900

The reason RVD got over huge was, because he was fresh in the stale wwf world of punch kick.  Also like people have said his natural charisma is a great help.  Now if only he could cut a good promo.

Guest Choken One

Why does he need to cut a promo?

Isn't RVD what you've guys been asking for since 1998? A popular wrestler over on Charisma and Wrestling not his mic skills. Look, RVD is as close as you can get.

Guest Tony149

All RVD has to say or do is point to himself saying "Rob Van Dam". The crowd likes to chant it. Considering RVD promo's mostly consist of "That's cool.", How's it going dude?", "It's cool.", "Everything's cool when you're Rob Van Dam!", etc.