TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CoreyLazarus416

Ironies...

Guest CoreyLazarus416

What are some musical ironies?

Some I can think of...

Zakk Wylde has been with Ozzy Osbourne for the better part of 12 years (or more). Yet Randy Rhoades gets all of the credit.

Jason Newstead was with Metallica from 1986 until his departure in 2001. That's 15 years. Cliff Burton was with Metallica from 1982 until his untimely death in 1986. That's 4 years. Yet everybody still referred to Jason as "the new guy," both in and out of the band (meaning the band themselves and the fans).

And one last one, concerning myself...

I claim to hate nu-metal and Slipknot and Mudvayne, yet my favorite shirt is a Mudvayne shirt (it has the Mudvayne logo crossed out on the front, and "i am nothing" on the back), I love Soil and Breaking Point and Saliva and Dope, and I have Slipknot lyrics in my sig.

Guest goodhelmet

The Monkees are one of the most criticized groups in rock n roll history yet they had some of the most gifted songwriters (neil diamond, goffin-king, boyce-hart) writing their music.

Guest redbaron51

The biggest Irony ever.

Metallica encourage to trade there bootleg tapes, yet now they encourage that using Napster is bad

Guest converge241

That guns n roses got so big because of the music, yet Axl kicks out all of them and turns into a NIN ripoff, yet geffen still throws money at him to record an album that will

1) never come out

2) even if it does it will bomb

that Anthrax's career was dead, but now theyve got publicity because of their name.

Guest swan

It's a nice rack and a smokin' ass that will get you a recording contract, not talent.

Guest mesepher

Roger Waters wrote "the Wall" which was anti-stadium rock shows.... this tour he has played no venue smaller than 40,000... and he is playing two shows at Wembley fvcking Stadium.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

Alanis Morissette wrote a song called "Ironic". None of the events she describes in the song are, in fact, ironic. Which is in itself ironic, but probably not what she was going for.

Guest starvenger
It's a nice rack and a smokin' ass that will get you a recording contract, not talent.

Which explains Ricky Martin, but not Celine Dion, I guess.  Actually, I'm not sure that there is any real way to explain Celine Dion.  She brings shame to all Canadians.  Yes, even more so than Bryan Adams, Keanu Reeves and Kurrgan combined.

The inverse to the one you mentioned is that it takes a bomb of a movie for you to lose said contract.

Guest Ignatz Belzner

I hope you're joking about those being Slipknot lyrics...

...because those're from a song called "Motorbreath" off of "Kill 'Em All" which was Metallica's first album.  I don't mind Slipknot (they'd be kinda kickass if they ditched the masks, those things are so gimmicky...aside from Mankind, nobody who wears a mask gets anywhere in their profession ;))

And I had no opinion on Mudvayne until they came out to receive an award on the VMAs a year or so ago and proceeded to thank their frigging record label.  I'm not saying they have to attack the industry, but come on...it's difficult to look hardcore while you're acting like a "good company man."  At least pretend to hate the system :)

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Actually, Ignatz, I changed the lyrics in my sig because I was getting a little sick of having "The Heretic Anthem" in there. I know full well it's "Motörbreath," which is my favorite Metallica song.

Guest Ignatz Belzner

And I'm sure that we all thank you for it, sir. :)

Edit:  btw, call me Iggy kthxbye