TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wwF1587

DONT STEAL MUSIC

Plus the record companies put all their financial backing into only a HANDFUL of artists, and expect everyone to embrace those 20 artists. That is why I believe shows like Making the band and American Idol are complete Garbage since all they are doing is trying to dictate to the american kids what they are SUPPOSED TO LIKE.  By making it into a fun tv show, I bet the winner could actually suck, and still get record sales because people are EASILY manipulated, when it comes to advertising.

Totally agree. Most of MTV is just advertising for the record companies, especially TRL.

I think the record companies overestimate how much money they are losing due to file sharing. There's not an overwhelming amount of people who download whole albums and burn them. Most people just download songs to listen to while on thier computers.

Thier biggest computer problem is how easy it is copy discs. I think this is a bigger problem facing the record labels than downloading music. People can just borrow a friends CD and copy it for themselves. I know that the record labels are thying to make CDs that are rewrite protected but I don't know how well they work.

Furthermore, I think the biggest reason the music industry is less profitable than 10 years ago is mainstream/pop music sucks ass. Pop music has becom complete crap. They are selling less records because there is no good music out there to buy. Then, of course, they just find a scapegoat like computers to blame it on.

Guest Bosstones Fan

I think another problem that the RIAA refuses to recognize is that there are simply other forms of entertainment that people wish to spend money on. I know that, for me personally, I would rather put my $15-20 towards a new DVD or movie tickets, a video game, or some tickets to an Astros game.

Irregardless of the fact that most music today sucks, it just simply isn't THAT big of a priority to me...and especially not at $15-20 a pop. I normally enjoy a $15 DVD a whole hell of a lot more than a $15 CD.

But fuck the RIAA either way.

Guest starvenger
DON'T STEAL MUSIC

ok

*goes to library, takes out 50 recent CD's, rips them to hard drive, returns CD's to library*

that sure was easy, wasn't it?

Oh, I'm sure that these "libraries" are on the RIAA's hit list...

Guest deadbeater

When I can get DVD's and software for $9.99 or even less, the record companies have no excuses whatsoever to keep their prices high.

Guest Youth N Asia

I'm more then willing to suppoet Fat Wreck-Chords or Kung Fu Records...I'll buy them retail. But anything bigger and I'll just burn from here on.

Guest El Satanico

If the RIAA ever did manage to completely destroy file-sharing, I still wouldn't buy retail CDs. I'd buy used CDs from Used CD stores, flea markets or ebay looong before I'd eveer buy new retail CDs.

Guest NoCalMike

One more thing to consider is that people have access to MORE music because of file-sharing, so maybe all the money isn't going to Top 40 artists anymore, and that is pissing off the RIAA who makes the most off those top 40. I mean I know I haven't bought a cd from an artist featured on the radio in the past 5 years besides 1 Tool Album. Other than that, nothing.

Guest DrTom
I think the record companies overestimate how much money they are losing due to file sharing.

They always have. Most media outlets tend to drink up the RIAA's drippings as gospel, but there's just no truth to their estimates. Basically, they presume that every song downloaded is an *album sale* that is lost. Thus, if 100 million songs were downloaded last year, and the average CD price is $17, then the RIAA claims to have lost $1,700,000,000 to piracy. It just doesn't work that way, but that's the tactic they employ.

I think another problem that the RIAA refuses to recognize is that there are simply other forms of entertainment that people wish to spend money on. 

Certainly. But why acknowledge factors like the battle for the disposable entertainment dollar and a sagging economy when you can create villains by fiat and blame everything on "piracy?"

Oh, I'm sure that these "libraries" are on the RIAA's hit list...

I know that was a jest, but the reality is that book publishers, via their trade union, have already accused librarians of being pirates and terrorists when it comes to intellectual property. Since I'm sure they can't allow such a monopoly on crass stupidity to stand for long, I expect the RIAA to express similar sentiments.

Guest Midnight Express83

Tom Petty said it best....

"It is not stolen music that is hurting record sells, it is BAD music that is hurting music sells".

Around here: CD's are cheap at Circuit City. Which are around $13.00. Everywhere else is around $20.00 a pop. So I am not spending 20 dollars for a freaking CD that...

1: Cost 2 cents to make

2: Supports a system in which the artist are raped of their money.

3: I can get for free.

4: that sucks

5: That has no more than 3 good songs on it.

Guest chirs3

I actually don't mind CD prices that much, because I was a picky shopper even before Napster came to pass.

It's just... The last two CD's I've bought were Green Day's "Warning", and the Chicago soundtrack, both within the week they came out. There's like a two year time period between them when I didn't buy any CD's, and it wasn't because they were too expensive. It's because there was nothing worth buying.

I would be perfectly willing to pay $15, $16, $17 bucks for a CD, provided it's, you know... good.

Guest cartman
cartman, I don't have Newbury Comics in Florida. Best Buy has CD's, and I go there occasionally, but I think it's high time that the record companies started making me actually WANT to spend money on a CD. Now that I have kazaa lite, forget it. I'm not buying CD's for a good long time.

What's that? The record companies are losing money? Excuse me while I cry. I guess billions aren't enough for them.

As I said Newbury Comics is only local to the Boston area so not many people have access but Best Buy always has $10 or less CD's and I NEVER saw a CD there that cost more than 15 bucks unless it was some special double disk album or whatever.

I use Kazaa to check out new bands that I wouldnt hear on the radio, and if I like I buy.

Although there are some artists that I would just download and burn just because I wouldnt wanna waste my money on a CD with a couple good songs like most other people do.

Guest razazteca

Am I Evil.......

During the Metallica ICON show I was copying some classic Metallica albums.

Yes I Am.

Guest Will Scarlet

Sheesh. After reading the current prices for current CD's, it makes me glad I listen to foreign music. Even with shipping and handling, it's still cheaper than to buy American CD's from a local store. But, hey, I thank file sharing and the stupidity of the RIAA for introducing me to new forms of music I would not have found otherwise.