TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JAxlMorrison

Is it possible to ever burn a bridge?

Guest JAxlMorrison

Basically,  look at what is happening here today....Hulk Hogan, the man who by refusing to job to Bret Hart totally screwed up Wrestlemania IX and Summerslam that year, and also testified in the Vince McMahon steroid trial, Scott Hall whose drug and alcohol problems screwed up a Mania match with Goldust that could've pushed Runnels to he top of the fed at that time, and Kevin Nash, whose WWF title run was the lowest drawing run ever are all returning to the WWF. Not to mention the fact that Hall and Nash were both members of the Kliq, a cancer that ate away at the WWF's locker room and morale for a couple of years in the mid-90's. Not to mention the fact that Hall and Nash both basically signed their WCW contracts behind Vinny's back. My question basically is, is a bridge ever burned in the pro wrestling industry. Some more famous examples of wrestlers returning to companies where the bridge was thought to be burned.

Shane Douglas (WCW): Never thought I'd see Shane in WCW after all the Flair bashing he did in the mid 90's in ECW. But, there he was to lead a Revolution group that got off to a big bang start by losing a tag team match to members of Jimmy Hart's stable at Road Wild '99 (I think)

Sid Vicious (WCW): Ok, so we were going to make him the next big thing in this company, we tape him winning a series of matches holding the title, but he goes berzerk and stabs another one of our top guys. Sid makes a big bang return as a member of Team Savage and an epic feud with Kevin Nash.

Davey Boy Smith (WWF): Returns to the WWF after walking out on Vince after Survivor Series '97. Makes his big bang return by winning the Hardcore title, then giving it to Al Snow.

Al Snow (WWF): Makes a name for himself when he goes to ECW and claims the WWF drove him insane by not pushing him. Relentlessly bashes McMahon, says he was treated like "a piece of shit" byt the WWF. Makes his big return by jobbing to Too Cool at KOTR '98.

I can't really think of anymore, but I can tell you who I think will never return to the WWF because of burnt bridges. Ultimate Warrior, Vince Russo, Bret Hart, and I think those are the only ones I am absolutely sure of! Who can you remember being totally surprised to see return when you never thought they woudl because of politics and who do you never see stepping into a WWF ring again.

Guest Maurizio C... Version 2

the Al Snow affair was a work to put over Snow as a freak smart. even if not on paper, the wwf used tactics like these for talent who wasn't over like Snow, P.J.Walker (Justin Credible) and others.

other examples of bridges not getting burned include Warrior in the WWF after all the shit he gave mcmahon in '92.

Guest Army Eye

Good post.  When I think about it, It really is quite amazing that all of the big three feds employed Sid Vicious after he attacked a co-worker with a pair of scissors.  Check out this amusing Usenet post from 1994 talking about just that..

The biggest burned bridge in history has to be Vince McMahon burning HIS bridge with Bret Hart.  If Bret EVER re-joins the WWF in any capacity, I will state right then and there that is impossible to burn a bridge in pro wrestling.

Guest The Vanilla Midget

the same is true in wrestling as it is everywhere else, you can burn a bridge, but it can always be rebuilt.  this may mean tearing it all down and starting again, but the bridge can always be rebuilt.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Jeff Jarrett may be a possibility if he never resurfaces in the WWF.

Guest Big Poppa Popick

i get the feeling even HE isn't that bad off, considering he did get a few seconds in that desire video

its not about burning, its about rebuilding and how much puckering youre willing to do to get back

Guest Tony149

I don't think there's such a thing of burning a bridge. The Torch website had one of their past interviews with Vince McMahon would he said he would never work with Hogan again. A few years later he's working with Hogan.

I think the only guys that have burned their bridges for good are Shane Douglas & The Warrior.

Guest Tony149

This may sound stupid, but what did Paul Roma do? I know he made Alex Wright look bad on live PPV at Superbrawl V.

Guest Just call me Dan

I guess it all just takes time.  Emotions stop flaring and eventually, burn out.  Hart would be a longshot, but I think Jarrett has a good shot, considering how well he did in his last tenure in WCW.  Vince has already shown how desparate he is to bring in the ratings, and he can and will probably do just about anything.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

He was uncooperative and unprofessional.  Two things that will get you kicked out of this business.  He didn't just refuse a job, he went out and killed Wright's career before it got of the ground.

Guest Tony149

In early '99 I would of thought Bret had a good chance of going back to the WWF one day. Then Owen died, now I don't think Bret would go back.

Ahmed Johnson:  He was injury prone and careless in that he injured other wrestlers.  The fact that he is just too fat now pretty much ensures that we won't see him in a WWF ring.

Rena or Marc Mero:  the joke of a lawsuit and her attitude problems nuked her bridge.  Marc Mero has the unfortunate guilt by association.

Jeff Jarrett is too talented to stay out of the big leagues for too long.  He will be back eventually.

Guest Galactic Gigolo

I think the WWF just had a method of punishing people where they don't necessarily burn the bridge, they just make it unstable.  Look at Crash Holly, he was on Raw every week, and had the Hardcore Title.  Then he goes and gets drunk at WWF New York, and pukes all over the place.  He got permanently demoted to Jakked.

Personally, the day Vince Russo, Tom Zenk, and Bret Hart come back to the WWF is the day when I realize that bridges can't be burned

Wait, why the F-U-C-K would the WWF want Vince Russo or Tom Zenk back on their roster?

Guest Tony149

Since McMahon has taken the WWF back to 1999. He might bring in Russo. Tom Zenk really, really has burned his bridges. Man, that guy tells great stories.

Guest FakeRazor

Call me crazy, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see Vinny Roo show up in the WWF again...

Guest J*ingus

Road Warrior Hawk probably isn't going back.  In the RF shoot, he said something along the lines of "Vince thinks he's God.  Well Vince, I talk to God every day, and YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!"  

Can one burn a bridge any more thoroughly?

Guest Tony149

That's hilarious. You're right, Hawk won't be back. Vince would probably bring somebody back only to make them look bad.

wanna know someone who REALLY burned his bridges? Nailz, when he choked Vince after a failed payment.

Rena and Marc have been in contact with the wwf the past year, but vince just wasn't interested...

Guest Army Eye

heh.. great comment from Hawk.

Last I remember from him in the WWF, he was doing that drunk/suicidal angle?  That was such crap.  I'll never understand how that was supposed to get ANYONE over.

Vince russo didn't give 2 craps about who was over oir not... what mattered was SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!

Guest Tony149

Wasn't WCW doing the drunk angle with Hall & Nash at the same time the WWF was doing the "Hawk angle"?

Guest Downhome

It is my belief that there is always a certain amount of money that can repair ANY bridge...

...my meaning of this, is that if a for a company, or a company will be good for a wrestler, than there is no such thing as a "burt bridge". It's just a business, and just as in any business, money talks...and it always comes first.

You don't think Hall/Nash/Hogan are coming back just because they are all buddy buddy with Vince and Co. do ya? No, of course not. It is simply because Vince and Co. feel they will be good for business...

...once again, money talks, and can fix ANY bridge.

Guest Downhome
... but can't fix ratings!

Hey, I never said it would help ratings, lol. We ALL know it takes more than money to fix the ratings...

...it takes actual storylines, developement, it takes giving the people a REASON to watch show to show...

...hell, it takes writers that at LEAST half way know what they are doing.

Guest Judas14
Wait, why the F-U-C-K would the WWF want Vince Russo or Tom Zenk back on their roster?

Russo no but Zenk, through his interviews and articles, has shown a skill for writing and organizing and recognizing ideas and concepts as being workable or a disaster waiting to happen that would make him perfect in terms having him as a head writer for the storylines or even as a booker in the WWF.

The only thing that seems to be stopping him from being picked up seems to be 1.) Zenk's apparent contentment to be retired and out of the business and 2.) the fact that Vince's ego wouldn't let him hire a man like Zenk who has not only openly attacked him but also seems to have a thing for pointing at Vince's bigtime failures (ala the XFL and the Invasion) like Nelson on the Simpsons and laughing at Vince for failing.....

Guest Juvydriver
It is my belief that there is always a certain amount of money that can repair ANY bridge...

...my meaning of this, is that if a for a company, or a company will be good for a wrestler, than there is no such thing as a "burt bridge". It's just a business, and just as in any business, money talks...and it always comes first.

You don't think Hall/Nash/Hogan are coming back just because they are all buddy buddy with Vince and Co. do ya? No, of course not. It is simply because Vince and Co. feel they will be good for business...

...once again, money talks, and can fix ANY bridge

You are almost 100% correct.  I think there is but one money making burned bridge out there, and that is the bridge that leads from Vince's place to Bret's house.  Definately a bridge over troubled water.

I don't think there is any way that Bret would come back to the WWF now.  He's rich so he doesn't need to, and on top of that, he is bitter as hell about a lot of things.  I also think that Bret would feel that his integrity would be compromised by going back.

But if Vince felt that Shane Douglas could make some money, he'd bring him back, and Shane would jump at the spot.

Juvy

Guest Downhome
You are almost 100% correct.  I think there is but one money making burned bridge out there, and that is the bridge that leads from Vince's place to Bret's house.  Definately a bridge over troubled water.

I don't think there is any way that Bret would come back to the WWF now.  He's rich so he doesn't need to, and on top of that, he is bitter as hell about a lot of things.  I also think that Bret would feel that his integrity would be compromised by going back.

That is a good one, but the SS '97 thing wouldn't be the thing that kept Brett from coming aboard, the Owen Hart incident would be the thing keeping him from joining, that is, if it is true he wouldn't.

I personally believe however, that if enough money, the perfect storyline, etc... was presented to Brett, he WOULD re-sign. I can't actually prove this, or back it up, it is simply my personal belief. If both, Vince & Brett, felt that they would both benifit from it, it is very possible that it COULD happen...

...but I do not actually LOOK for it to happen anytime soon, if ever, lol.

Guest Tony149

I think Bret could work with Vince again. It would take a lot of things for that to happen, but they could probably work something out.