TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest goodhelmet

Change of heart?

Guest goodhelmet

Man, In previous rants I could have sworn SK was bashing the head-dropping that guys like Kobashi and Kawada are known for, but in his latest recap he is pimping these guys huge!!!

Is SK so fed up with the current WWF product, like so countless others, he has turned to puro for his wrestling fix?

Some may call it hypocrisy or contradiction, but I think it's a case of recognizing a good thing when you see it!

Guest J*ingus

Well, by 2001 they'd cut way back on the head-dropping, as opposed to 97-99 when it was just out of control.  They were also wrestling faster by then, as opposed to the more methodical style of the mid-90's.

Guest RSPWFAQ
Well, by 2001 they'd cut way back on the head-dropping, as opposed to 97-99 when it was just out of control.  They were also wrestling faster by then, as opposed to the more methodical style of the mid-90's.

Yup.  The focus of the product appears to be submission wrestling and hard kicking now, with only a couple of head bumps in the Kobashi-Akiyama match and the rest focused on the psychology of the arm.  Plus, as mentioned, the pace was a LOT faster now that they've learned to transition with cross-armbreakers and the like.  I'm quite impressed with the differences.

Guest Captian Linger

Yup.  The focus of the product appears to be submission wrestling and hard kicking now, with only a couple of head bumps in the Kobashi-Akiyama match and the rest focused on the psychology of the arm.  Plus, as mentioned, the pace was a LOT faster now that they've learned to transition with cross-armbreakers and the like.  I'm quite impressed with the differences.

But let's put this into some kind of perspective...

Are you saying that you prefer *current* puro to the mid-90's offerings?

Let's run down some of the great stuff from that era...first to refer to the DVDVR lists for dates;).

Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue (6/9/95 - World Tag Titles):

-This match blows the Kawada/Fuchi vs Iizuka/Nagata match out of the water and then some...I'd *hope* that most wrestling fans worth their salt have seen it. The "Fantastic Voyage" Kobashi/Akiyama match you reviewed had FAR more head-dropping than this, as well.

Eh...I don't even need to reference actual dates here...Let's just look at the history for those in the know.

We have the Liger/Ohtani matches that ruled the world

We have the Liger vs just about everyone in the 90's that kicked ass.

We have the Ohtani/Ultimo Dragon matches that crushed everything to dust (so to speak:)).

I won't even get into how much better the early to mid 90's All Japan was, 6/9/95 speaks for itself as one of the greatest tag matches of all time.

I'm still wondering what the "differences" are that are so 'impressive'?

-I even felt that Akiyama/Kobashi wasn't ****3/4. So it's not like I'm saying 'give everything ***** across the board' or anything.

Oh well

-I'm a big Joshi fan anyway, the ladies don't get any respect here either;).

-Also coming from a Taue fan that hated his style at first glance. Figure this one out and you're on the right path:).