TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest gthureson

More thoughts about bands

Guest gthureson

Because no one ever mentions what I listen to.

Pop Will Eat Itself:

The The:

Wonderstuff:

Ministry:

Dinosaur Jr.:

Underworld:

Local H:

The Jam:

Boo Radleys:

Nomeansno:

Kraftwerk:

Anti-Flag:

Kid Dynamite:

Billy Bragg:

Jesus and Mary Chain:

Liz Phair:

Tom Waits:

Guest ArkhamGlobe

Pop Will Eat Itself: Haven't heard that much.

The The: Haven't heard that much.

Wonderstuff: Never heard of them.

Ministry: Not my cup of tea.

Dinosaur Jr.: Excellent.

Underworld: Never heard them.

Local H: Never heard of them.

The Jam: Fucking awesome beyond words.

Boo Radleys: Haven't heard that much.

Nomeansno: Never heard of them.

Kraftwerk: Awesome.

Anti-Flag: Never heard of them.

Kid Dynamite: Never heard of them.

Billy Bragg: Haven't heard that much.

Jesus and Mary Chain: Liked what I've heard.

Liz Phair: Haven't heard that much.

Tom Waits: Awesome.

Guest gthureson

Pop Will Eat Itself: Together from about 1986-1996.  The disbanding date is iffy, because they all just sort of went their own way.   British act out of Stourbridge that always seemed a few years ahead of its time, and thus missed out on scoring big on any trends.  If you weren't listening to late 80s early 90s alternative, you probably missed them.

The The: Matt Johnson and his revolving door of musicians.  Only releases albums periodically now.   Got the most press of the bands career when Johnny Marr (Smiths) played on three albums.  Excellent songwriter, excellent albums.

Wonderstuff: Another British act out of Stourbridge.  Broke up after four albums in 1993.   Should have been bigger than they were.   Cynical and catchy.

Ministry: The Reverand Buck Satan and the continuing evolution of his band into Black Sabbath.  No longer cutting edge, but I still like them.

Dinosaur Jr.: The band that brought lead guitar back into alternative rock.

Underworld: If you've watched Trainspotting, you've heard Underworld.  'Too Slippy' is the song used when Renton is trying to stay straight on goes to the club, and ends up with the underage hottie.

Local H:  Good little band, just wish they'd release albums on a more regular basis.

The Jam: Great act, probably overshadowed 'cause they were part of a British scene preoccupied by punk at the time.

Boo Radleys: Probably the only place you might have heard them in the mainstream is their cover 'There She Goes' on the 'So I Married An Axe Murderer' soundtrack.

Nomeansno:  Long living punk/alternative act out of Vancouver.  Its basically the Wright brothers, Mr Right and Mr Wrong.  A unique sound because they first evolved as a drum and bass act for a few years until they finally added a guitarist.

Kraftwerk:  The standard against which all German industrial acts should be measured.   And anybody who releases the 26 minute 'Autobahn' as a single should receive high praise for balls.

Anti-Flag: Punk act out of Pittsburgh.  Perhaps a bit too naive in their politics, they still are a good little band.

Kid Dynamite: Only two albums, but they were good ones.  Short, fast and snotty punk.

Billy Bragg: Neo-folk artist who didn't release much in the 90s, though he did receive alot of press when he colloborated with Wilco on 'Mermaid Avenue'.  Used to be highly political, he has softened up greatly with age and family life.

Jesus and Mary Chain: Noise merchants par excellance.   Turned feedback into a band member.  Evolved into a decent band, though their last album I hope is their last one, because it was nothing to write home about.

Liz Phair:  I love Liz.  Excellent, honest songwriter, decent musician, unique voice, and hot as hell.  Good combination.

Tom Waits: Maybe not the best voice in the world, but its probably the most honest.   I'll always prefer his own version of 'Downtown Train' to the one Rod Stewart did and turned into a hit.  I think Rod even ripped off Tom's video for it.

Guest Stupendous Man

Local H- Love'em, getting the new album as soon as it comes out.  

Haven't heard the others.

Guest Anteater

Kid Dynamite -- Serious ass-kicking tunes. I never got around to see them live, but just from their cds they must bring down the place. Still my favorite cd PERIOD

Guest LooseCannon

Pop Will Eat Itself: I've only heard 'Ich bin ein Auslander.' It's a good song, but I don't think I'd be into their other stuff.

The The:  I dunno

Wonderstuff: I dunno

Ministry:  was a big Ministry fan back in the day, but i pretty much have grown out of it

Dinosaur Jr.:  They had some great albums, but it's been a good long while since they put out anything remotely good.

Underworld: I dunno

Local H:  I've heard these guys before, but for the life of me can't think of what they sound like or who they are or anything

The Jam: I dunno

Boo Radleys: I dunno

Nomeansno:  Decent

Kraftwerk:  I dunno

Anti-Flag:  Good stuff.  Their songs are surprisingly catchy.

Kid Dynamite: I dunno

Billy Bragg: I dunno

Jesus and Mary Chain: They always put out solid albums.

Liz Phair:  I love Liz Phair.  Even her weak stuff is still real good.

Tom Waits:  My Tom Waits exposure is limited. But I like what I've heard.