TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Anyone see Canseco on OTL?

Bob Ley was interviewing Canseco on the Sosa subject and he said that if this happened to protected players "McGwire, Ripken" MLB would have covered it up. Of course the Jose Canseco infomercial started then as he told Ley he had many other coverup examples, and once his book comes out he'll blow the lid off baseball. After getting nothing Ley asked him that Harold Reynolds talked to players and that many didn't buy Sosa explanation. Canseco then demanded to know the players and said no minorities would say that about Sosa. The best line came from Canseco when he said "you're calling me out so I am going to call you out".

I wish Bob Ley would have said, "I'll tell you the names in my next book." Canseco then blasted Ley for never playing baseball and that this would not be happening AT ALL if this was a white player.

While I do not totally disagree that Sammy may be busted on more because he's a minority you can't tell me that any great player would not get questioned if his bat broke and cork was in it. It's not like they demanded the bat while it was still intact.

I can't wait to hear why Canseco was blackballed from baseball, but I guess I'll have to buy the book.

Guest phoenixrising

I thought Canseco was blackballed because he came out and said 50% of all players are on steroids, and he's going to write about that in the book.

I'm pretty sure that Canseco can kiss the Hall of Fame goodbye, attacking a guy who represents the voters isn't exactly the best thing to do to get in.

Guest the pinjockey

Isn't he in jail?

And I am sure baseball would not want to protect Sosa as far as they possibly could. I mean he is only one of the most marketable players and easily the most marketable in the dominican republic.

I have two thoughts on his book. One side of me wants to buy the book and see him be an ass. The other side feels sick about contributing anything to a Jose Canseco writing career.

Well Jose better hope that MLB has holes in their coverups, because his ass is gonna get sued if he doesn't have proof as well.

I agree though, it will be an interesting read, although I'd be disgusted by reading it!

Guest phoenixrising
I have two thoughts on his book. One side of me wants to buy the book and see him be an ass. The other side feels sick about contributing anything to a Jose Canseco writing career.

I have a solution for your dilemna. Go to a bookstore like Barnes and Noble, or Borders and read the book there. When you're done, put it back on the shelf. That way you can laugh at his MLB cover up theories and not contribute a dime to his writing career.

One of the happiest days of my sporting life was the day the A's traded Canseco back in '92. The guy was always an asshole and I never cheered for him in last few years with them and then in his god awful return in '97.

Guest the pinjockey

Hmm, your ideas intrigue me. I would like to subscribe to your pamphlet.

Guest MaxPower27

I was more amused by the physics professor on SC earlier this afternoon telling them that corked bats don't make a difference, and that Sosa's thing isn't news worthy since corking a bat "makes the bat lighter, and helps you swing faster, but it doesn't make a difference at all."

Watching them try not to just laugh at the guy was great.

And Canseco is a piece of shit who is turning into a shill. I won't buy his book unless the cover has the ball going off his head and over the wall for a homerun in one of the funniest moments in baseball history

I was more amused by the physics professor on SC earlier this afternoon telling them that corked bats don't make a difference, and that Sosa's thing isn't news worthy since corking a bat "makes the bat lighter, and helps you swing faster, but it doesn't make a difference at all."

And Canseco is a piece of shit who is turning into a shill. I won't buy his book unless the cover has the ball going off his head and over the wall for a homerun in one of the funniest moments in baseball history

That was great in such a painful way! I kept wondering when they were just gonna cut him off. When he started with that lame ass joke about titanium bats filled with air, you knew it would be bad. Hey Ivy League physics professors we are stupid, we won't get your intellectual jokes, just answer the damn question!

Guest the pinjockey

I loved for the whole 2 hours or so, Bobby Valentine just sitting there the whole time saying "Cork doesn't help" and Reynolds just looking like he wanted to smack him.

Guest Vern Gagne

Cork makes a difference but not has significant as one might think.

Guest alkeiper

I just saw Canseco highlights on SportsCenter. You're on tv, wear a shirt.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

This whole corking thing is so friggin' overblown.

Also, I saw on ESPNews that some fruitcake named Rich(?) Reilly said Sosa should be banned from the Hall... What a load of bullshit. If Sammy got banned for something as asinine as a corked bat, then they should kick out all the pitchers who have ever thrown spitballs.

Hell, from all I've seen, corking doesn't even seem to help HR hitters like it would guys like Pete Rose or, to keep it within this decade, Todd Helton.

If it was Rick Reilly from SI that was saying that, I have lost the little respect I had left from that man. Giving up your journalistic integrity just to get back into the headlines.

Guest alkeiper

Reilly said you have to re-think your HOF vote for Sosa. What a jackass. He lost all my respect when he pulled the steroid bullshit last year. He's got an obvious vendetta against Sosa, and its sad to see him dragged on TV just to piss on Sosa a little more.

Guest Vern Gagne

Matt Weiner who did the interview brought up the SI interview. Are your views of this topic slanted because of the interview last year. Reilly didn't really answer the question directly.

Guest Redhawk

I used to read all of Rick Reilly's columns, but I think I'm done. He's been a asshole towards both Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa. His first anti-Bonds thing was the column he wrote in which Jeff Kent was talking about how no one likes Bonds. And every chance he gets he says something about Bonds being on steroids or being a jerk or something. Someone even got a letter to the editor published in SI calling Reilly on his Bonds bias. As far as Sosa goes, Reilly obviously loves this corking business, since he got punked by Sosa over the steroids thing last year. Funny, he never questioned Mark McGwire and said he shouldn't go in the HOF, who ADMITTED he was taking drugs.

Guest Vern Gagne
Funny, he never questioned Mark McGwire and said he shouldn't go in the HOF, who ADMITTED he was taking drugs.

In Reilly's defense he did say yesterday that he questions the legitamcy of McGwire's hr total. It was a quick little blip on the radar screen, but McGwire must not of personally pissed Reilly off.

Guest Redhawk

Canseco does have a point about minority players getting harsher treatment. You may not want to admit it, but it's true. And one player who I've always wondered about, who's never been questioned on steroids or cork, is Bret Boone. Just look at his HR totals....

1997 ------ 7

1998 ------ 24

1999 ------ 20

2000 ------ 19

2001 ------ 37 (plus 141 RBI, the first time he'd ever broke 100)

2002 ------ 24

2003 ------ 16 through 56 games, on pace for 46

They year he blew up like HHH and hit 37 was also his contract year, by the way. I didn't even pay very close attention to baseball that year, and it was obvious Boone was WAY bigger in his upper body.

Guest Your Olympic Hero
I'm pretty sure that Canseco can kiss the Hall of Fame goodbye

i wouldnt quite consider him worthy even without all the bullshit

Guest phoenixrising

I'm pretty sure that Canseco can kiss the Hall of Fame goodbye

i wouldnt quite consider him worthy even without all the bullshit

Yeah, he's slightly marginal at best, but all the bullshit is going to eliminate any chance of him making the Hall.

Guest bob_barron

I used to read Reilly's stuff but his constant anti-Bonds whining is getting tiresome

Reilly sounds a bit pissy. Granted, maybe the fact that McGwire is white and Sosa is a black player from the Dominican Republic and Bonds is black has a small influence on Reilly. But, I don't think that's anything legitimate.

As for Canseco whining about Racism. Look at the guy, he may have lived in Cuba for nine months, but the guy doesn't really obviously seem like a minority. Although with Jose, he is finding out that pissing off people and being a DH who only hits HRs will limit your job oppertunities.

Jose gives disservice to all people legitimately hindered by racism thru his whining. Unless he can produce some evidence that white players break their corked bats and never recieve punishment, then he is an assclown

Guest Vern Gagne
Reilly sounds a bit pissy. Granted, maybe the fact that McGwire is white and Sosa is a black player from the Dominican Republic and Bonds is black has a small influence on Reilly. But, I don't think that's anything legitimate.

Bonds likely wouldn't do an interview with Reilly and he got mad. All these journalist care about is what benefits them.

Bonds likely wouldn't do an interview with Reilly and he got mad. All these journalist care about is what benefits them.

Bonds not doing an interview is very plausible.

Imagine if Reilly was around for Ty Cobb. He'd wish for Sammy Sosa then.

:lol:

Guest MaxPower27

With his feel good stories, I expect the column to be named "Rick's people."

"One man. No Ducks."

He has an obvious bias. He's a good writer, but it's hard to look past the stupid crap that he writes over and over and over.

Guest DrTom

I'm not trying to take up for Reilly or anything, but I'd lay even money or better that Bonds is a juicer, or was at some point in his career. Sosa being on the juice wouldn't surprise me, either.

Guest Redhawk

Sammy Sosa, Latin superstar: 8 game suspension

Albert Belle, Black superstar: 10 game suspension

Craig Nettles, White Superstar: 0 game suspension

Guest DrTom

No comparison. Nettles played several regimes ago. Show me Bud Selig as commissioner letting a white superstar off the hook for corking his bat and I'll buy into your theory. Right now, it looks like you're just shouting, "OMG RAYCISM~!" and hoping the volume of your voice alone is enough to convince the masses.