TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

"Pansexual"

While browsing the IMBD forum on the Alan Cumming directory, I noticed a topic entitled 'gay?'. So, of course I had to find out. Quoting from the first reply:

Alan Cumming is not "gay" or "straight" or "bi." He usually identifies himself as a "pansexual." But hey, I think it's better if we let Alan speak for himself:

"I'm not going to say I'm one thing when I'm not just so I can fit into people's notions of how things are," he says. "I think people deny themselves by putting themselves into categories."

I pulled this off his site. This is from an interview from ADVOCATE.

Looking at the next topic provided a link to the definition of "pansexual": http://www.lesbianworlds.com/glossary/def_...f_pansexual.htm

One who exhibits or suggests a sexuality that has many different forms, objects, and outlets. One who exhibits many forms of sexual expression.

Translation in English:

Pansexual is a broader term than bisexual because it includes not only loving both men and women but also transgendered people and gender fluid people who do not feel they fit into categories of male or female.

That is... erm.. quite interesting. Now I'm even more fascinated by Alan Cumming than I was before.

Guest Spicy McHaggis

There are only two genders so I guess the guy must bang a ton of animals.

Guest Kinetic

Right, I would identify myself as pansexual, as well. This goes a long way towards explaining why my parents won't allow me in their kitchen anymore.

Guest caboose

Well seeing as your obsessed with Alan Cumming, I thought you might have watched his best work.

In 'The High Life', Alan played a gay Scottish air steward. Much hilarity ensued...

Well seeing as your obsessed with Alan Cumming, I thought you might have watched his best work.

In 'The High Life', Alan played a gay Scottish air steward. Much hilarity ensued...

Oh! *searches IMDB* Well, now I know of it, but haven't seen it. It says it was cancelled... know where I could find some clips or whatever?

Guest HungryJack

that perhaps you ought not to question the maturity of others?

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

This being a message board, I think it's fair to say that we're all um....stunted.

Guest caboose

Stunted isn't quite how I would have put it.

I'd say we are all a bit anally retentive towards trivial knowledge.

Guest JudasSault

ultimately pansexuality is purer than bisexuality, as it encompasses all forms of sexuality as opposed to bisexuality which is restricted to the boundaries defined by hetro and homosexuality. as a result pansexuality is not restricted to bisexuality but also encompases transvestites, transexuals and all fetishes. Alan Cumming, by recognising himself as pansexual, is not just restricting himself to just the conventionally "normal" people, but also those who society considers a sexual deviants. however, it may well that he is just saying this to further his asexual reputation.

there you go, a serious reply. and it came from a gimmick poster. who'd have thought it?

ultimately pansexuality is purer than bisexuality, as it encompasses all forms of sexuality as opposed to bisexuality which is restricted to the boundaries defined by hetro and homosexuality. as a result pansexuality is not restricted to bisexuality but also encompases transvestites, transexuals and all fetishes. Alan Cumming, by recognising himself as pansexual, is not just restricting himself to just the conventionally "normal" people, but also those who society considers a sexual deviants. however, it may well that he is just saying this to further his asexual reputation.

there you go, a serious reply. and it came from a gimmick poster. who'd have thought it?

*blink* Well that was a pleasant surprise.

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

Transvestism is not particularly sexual deviance, as most of them are just straight and that's the end of it. If there's any fetishism going on there it's from being attracted to tranvestites, not being one.

I find excessive labeling regarding sexual preference to be ridiculous, personally.

Guest godthedog
Transvestism is not particularly sexual deviance, as most of them are just straight and that's the end of it.

"glen is not a homosexual."

Guest Nevermortal

For some reason, I got a vision of Alan Cumming jacking off into a skillet.

labels are just that, it makes it easier for other people to define you by their own morals and standards.

I am exclusively attracted to female humans. That makes me by society's standards heterosexual. I don't sweat other people's preferences, even though I do not practice them myself. That makes me open-minded.

Even though pansexuality is by definiton a freeing of labels, it is still a label in itself... it is human nature to put names to things, simple or complex. It will be this way or a very long time.

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

Some labels are good... too many labels are bad. Labeling of sexual preference in popular culture is getting up there with labeling of metal in the music scene.

Guest Marshall

OMG, The High Life ruled!

Yuna scares me though. Her sig makes me feel ill for some reason.

she does wonderful sigs, if you can pull her away from her RP long enough ;)

heh, defining sexual preference will always rank higher those almost every other societal definition, Mole.... everyone wants to know what everyone else is up to.

Guest Mole

Whatever it means, I've never heard of it before. I think he is just trying to make a statement, that's all.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Some labels are good... too many labels are bad. Labeling of sexual preference in popular culture is getting up there with labeling of metal in the music scene.

While metal nomenclature is ridiculous, I still hold firm that I've seen more jazz variations.

Guest Spicy McHaggis

Hopefully, you saw my post in the metal thread.

OMG, The High Life ruled! Yuna scares me though. Her sig makes me feel ill for some reason.

Lucky you that got to see it. I'm....scary. Well, that's interesting.

she does wonderful sigs, if you can pull her away from her RP long enough

Thanks! And it's multiple RPs, actually ;)

Whatever it means, I've never heard of it before. I think he is just trying to make a statement, that's all.

Quoted yet again from the IMDB boards:

Alan hates to put himself in a category because he finds that it limits people's choices. in fact, there is a great quotes, but I can't remember word for word, so I won't bother hacking it up and putting it on here. When pressed for a definition of his sexuality, Alan describes himself as a "pansexual." but the point that Alan makes is that categorizing your life limits your choices and he'd rather not do that, since he seems to live his life to the fullest. And I appreciate that and admire that, and ultimately, that is one of the main reasons why I love Alan, besides his amazing talent as a director, a writer, an actor, a singer, and whatever else Alan does that I haven't read about yet.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001086/board/th...1506731#1506731

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I remember it being something completely ignorant about how all heavy metal bands sound the same, apparently.

Guest Spicy McHaggis

I remember it being something completely ignorant about how all heavy metal bands sound the same, apparently.

Come on, that part was just to get a reaction. I'd hate it if people told me Jack Johnson was the same as that moron John Mayer. Or if they said DMB was just a regular band.

I was talking about the over-labeling part.