TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tekcop

Did you ever believe wrestling was real?

I was pretty old when I found out wrestling wasn't real. In retrospect, I can't believe I was the stupid, but I have a pretty good excuse.

It was maybe less than a month after my family got satellite service for the first time in my life. I was probably in about fourth or fith grade and I was flipping through the channels when I just had to stop. These two huge men (The Big Show/Giant was one of 'em. I don't remember the other one) were fighting outside of the ring. Shortly after that Lex Luger came out celebrating his new belt he had one the PPV the night before. This was maybe two-three weeks before Scott Hall appeared on Nitro.

Anyways, the next week I made sure to watch Nitro again. I'm pretty sure I found RAW during some channel flipping during commercials, but I stayed a WCW mark for years.

As for the excuse... well... no one ever told me. My dad knew, but he never said anything. My mom didn't know. She actually used to watch wrestling when she was younger and was a huge Flair... uh... anti-fan(?).

I found out the truth very slowly, basically. People saying things. Those specials that appeared on TV. I just sort of realized it. I think I was in about seventh grade.

So what about you, eh?

Guest Dangerous A

I found out when I was 10 years old.

I was watching an old WWF program where they still had the main stars squashing jobbers all through the show. The match was Iron Shiek and Nikolai Volkoff vs 2 faceless jobbers.

There was a point in the match where the Iron Shiek spit on the back of one of the jobbers and the motherfucker sold it like D-Von. I had always suspected it was fake and my Father had been teasing me that it was fake, but this confirmed it.

Guest Monday Night Jericho

I was 11, and occasionally we had wrestling matches (not shoot, but not pro style either - just for ''fun'' or something) with other friends I tried to do stuff like choke slams and other wrestling moves but it was really hard to do because the other person wasn't co-operating. I then realised that they worked with each other to do the moves from that.

A few years later when I started to watch the likes of Kawada I realise that wrestling can be more real than I thought. :D

Guest two_tuff_toddy

I don't really remember when I realized that it wasn't totally real but I do know that when Berzerker tried to stab the Undertaker with his sword and it went through the ring I actually thought he was trying to kill him so it would be some time after that.

Man I was a fucking moron.

Guest treble charged

I always thought that the wrestling portion of it was real (even though members of my family, my uncle, in particular, would tell me it was fake, I wouldn't believe them), but I could never believe that the storyline aspects of the show were legit. I mean, I was smart enough to realize no one would name their kid 'The Undertaker' and that he was given special power from some hunk of metal.

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

I don't remember exactly when I found out, but it was before I actually started watching it.

Guest HellSpawn

I guess it was between 15-18, I've been fan since, I dunno 10, and suddenly I saw some AAA training, but it was not like a bump and try this stuff, it was like an actual match between heels n faces, they were practicing the Match.

Later I hooked online in 98 and learn about the whole backstage politics stuff.

Guest Legend

About 15 when I found it was staged in the way it is. Before that I thought it was controlled so they dont hurt each other that much yet still wanted to win (ie the open fist)

Guest papacita

I've pretty much always known it was "fake", since my brother (who was big fan) told me when I was like 3 or 4.

Edit: While I always knew it was fake, it was confirmed twice in 1994. First, I was watching an episode of WCW Saturday Night, where in the Bash at the Beach control center, Gene Okerlund said that Ric Flair defeated Sting to unify the World and International Titles at the Clash of the Champions...this was at least a week or two before the match actually took place. Also, my friend had a subscription to WWF Magazine, and got the June 94 issue, which previewed that KOTR and even had the complete first round bracket. However, when he got the magazine, there was still one spot open, as Tatanka hadn't competed in his qualifying match yet. And sure enough, that week on Raw, Tatanka qualified for the tournament.

Edited by papacita

I've always known that wrestling wasn't "real", but then, I've always known that if you mess up, it can be just as painful as if it wasn't. A lot of my friends are stupid, and one of them actually thinks that when a wrestler blows a spot, that he did it on purpose, "to add authenticity" to the match.

Guest BAR

My 'friends' teased about it for a long time as I hung out with guys older than me. I hung on to the 'realness' for as long as I could but to answer the question: around 10.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

My mother made sure that I knew it was fake before she let me watch it.

In retrospect...that's probably why I never bought into Hulkamania as a child.