TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSMAdmin

WWE Heat Recap: April 6th, 2003

Guest TSMAdmin

Hey yo...

A day later than usual this week, but I doubt anyone is really missing out on my Heat recap too much.

I haven’t been able to put up my Wrestlemania thoughts until now, so I figured I’d start this one off with my thoughts on the show.

Matt Hardy vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.

This could have been more if it were given more time than WWE gave it. Did the Miller Light Catfight Girls really need to take up 3 backstage segments and a 12 minutes on stage pillow fight? Did Limp Bizkit really have to perform... AT ALL? Well, yes, these things were needed as cooldowns for the big heat matchups later on the in card, but the only match that got a real cooldown segment after it was Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho. Regardless, this was a decent, albeit short match. Good choice keeping the strap on Matt Hardy as well.

**½

The Undertaker and Nathan Jones vs. Big Show and A-Train

Well, they were smart in the sense not to embarrass themselves by actually letting Nathan Jones wrestle at what could potentially be the biggest show of all time. Rather than having Jones give a shoddy performance (Yes, even shoddier than the other participants in this eyesore of a match), they had him walk out of Wrestlemania with his head held head, pulling off a decently impressive looking spin kick. And hey, any time The Big Show and A-Train job to one guy at the same time, I’m a happy guy. Even if it was to The Undertaker. Match quality-wise, this was absolute shit. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be though.

Victoria vs. Jazz vs. Trish Stratus

Excluding Molly Holly, these three are the cream of the crop when it comes to women’s wrestling. This match didn’t seem to click all that well though. I don’t know whether to chalk it up to nervousness or just plain sloppiness, but they looked somewhat shaky out there. They had some decent spots and decent wrestling, but everything came off somewhat sloppy. Still, this was a good effort and a good match by the standards of the division, so it’s worth...

Benoit and Rhyno vs. Team Angle vs. Los Guerreros

This match was another victim of father time. It wasn’t a short match by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn’t long enough to really get anything going. Still, 3 of the best workers in the company, 2 young up and coming stars and one of the better power wrestlers out there brought what they had and made this a pretty good match for the time it was given.

Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho

I had very high expectations going into this one, and I’d have to say that Jericho and Michaels more than lived up to it. Allusions to past matches, chain wrestling, flashy spots and actually PSYCHOLOGY.. This match had it all. It’ll probably go down as one of the most memorable Wrestlemania matches, at least in my book. My only gripe with this match is a rather large one... Michaels actually went over Jericho. I know they’re probably working towards a rematch, but come on, how does Michaels benefit from a win here? I thought he said he was here to put over the young talent...

****½

Booker T vs. Triple H

Neither guy is what they once were in the ring, so I wasn’t expecting a whole hell of a lot from this one. Both guys brought it, and they actually pulled off a pretty decent match, one of HHH’s better outings in a long time. I’m angry that Booker didn’t go over, but in retrospect he didn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of going over here, even with the race card being played.

**3/4

Hulk Hogan vs. Vince McMahon

This match, while monumental due to the participants, couldn’t hold my attention at all. The only thing that grabbed my attention was Vince’s legdrop off of the ladder. Oh yeah, and RODDY FUCKING PIPER. Yeah, I marked like a little bitch when I saw Piper. His role proved to be somewhat useless in it didn’t effect the outcome of the match at all, but it was still awesome to see him on TV again. He certainly hasn’t aged gracefully.

The Rock vs. Steve Austin

It doesn’t touch X-7, but it’s on a par with their Wrestlemania XV match, which is pretty damned good for two guys who haven’t really wrestled at all since last summer. It’s nice to see The Rock FINALLY go over as well.

***½

Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar

Okay, a lot of people seem to think that this match wasn’t too great, but I disagree. Sure, if Kurt wasn’t hurt it could have been so much more, but this was a hell of a match. They had some sweet amateur exchanges in the early goings, leading up to big spots like Angle’s Release German Suplex on Brock, and of course, the botched Shooting Star Press. Brock has shown with this match that he CAN wrestle. Maybe he should concentrate on that more. It’s a shame that this is the last we’ll be seeing of Angle for a long time. Get well soon, Kurt.

****1/4

Overall

I really don’t know if this one touches X-7. The crowd was pretty dead at some points at no fault of their own; mainly due to the fact that there was nothing to cool them off in between the big matches. This is easily one of the best Wrestlemanias, but I’m still not quite sure if it’s the absolute best ever. I'll need to watch it again to make that distinction. If you missed this show, get your ass out and see it.

Anyway, onto the real reason you’re here, HEAT RECAPPAGE.

This is an important episode of Heat, because it’s the first TNN episode of Heat. Let’s see if they stink the place up on their debut episode. I’d put money on it.

Your hosts are, as always, Jonathan Coachman and Lita.

Theodore Long is here with The Secret World of Rodney Mack to start things off. Well, this should be horrible.

If things couldn’t get any worse, his opponent is SPIKE DUDLEY.

Match One: The Secret World of Rodney Mack vs. Spike Dudley

Spike actually starts this one off on the offensive with flying head scissors, hurricanranas and the OMG I’M RUNNING IN PLACE ON YOUR CHEST IN THE CORNER move that I have grown to hate so passionately. Way to put Mack over as a monster, let Spike Dudley kick his ass for a few minutes. Mack eventually takes advantage with amazing moves like chokes, uhhh, knees to the back and a series of body slams. Spike gets on the offensive again with his attempted spear and some brawling, which Mack actually sells. Mack eventually gets Spike on the top rope, but Spike bites him and does the OMG I’M GONNA JUMP OFF THE TOP ROPE AND LAND ON YOUR CHEST FLAT FOOTED MOVE. He goes for the Dudley Dog but Mack reverses it into a powerslam and picks up the win. Wow, way to put Mack over as a bad ass monster. Spike dominated Mack for most of the match, until Mack reversed Spike’s finish for the win.

DUD

They recap Ashanti singing “America the Beautiful” at Wrestlemania.

RAW Recap: Austin is fired

Man, a month into his return and he’s already got to hit the road due to nagging injuries. Austin should just remain a non-wrestler for a while, and go out with one last match at next year’s Wrestlemania; passing the torch to Kurt Angle.

They shill Before They Were Superstars 2 before going to commercial.

WWE Slam of the Week

Kane and Van Dam win the RAW Tag straps. I’m overwhelmed with indifference.

Here comes Tommy Dreamer, who gets an okay reaction from the crowd. His opponent is a godlike figure in CHRISTIAN.

Match Two: Christian vs. Tommy Dreamer

This one starts off slow with some headlocks and hammerlocks, until Christian slaps Dreamer. Dreamer doesn’t take that too well and beats the hell out of Christian. He hits him with some armdrags and clotheslines him out of the ring. Christian takes advantage with a rear naked choke drop over the top rope. Christian is over as hell with the crowd. He hits a neckbreaker on Dreamer for two. He plays to the crowd with chokes and stomps to the face, garnering himself a nice amount of heat. Dreamer eventually takes control with some clotheslines and a back body drop. He hits a powerslam for two, and a spinebuster for two. Dreamer walks the second rope and misses an elbow drop. Lita jokes and calls it the middle school. Haha... not funny. Christian gets on the offensive with a reverse DDT. He tries to hit Dreamer with the Kendo stick but misses. Dreamer locks Christian in for the DVD, but Christian slips out and hits the Unprettier for the win.

½*

RAW Recap: Test is on the phone with someone, or something

Yeah, he’s cheating on Stacy or something. Who cares?

Trish Stratus takes on Ivory in the main event tonight.

Random Question of the week:

What the fuck is “Imag-EYE-nation?”

Jericho kicking Michaels in the nuts after their stellar Wrestlemania match is shown, leading up to another....

RAW Recap: Jericho, HHH and Flair beat up Booker T and HBK

It’s weird seeing Jericho and Triple H on the same page.

They shill Trish vs. Ivory again, and up next they’ll be taking a look at Goldberg’s debut.

RAW Recap: Goldberg debuts

Goldberg gives me yet another reason to hate RAW. When will WWE realize that washed up, talentless hacks aren’t the solution to their problems?

Trish vs. Ivory is shilled yet again.

Lugz Boot of the Week

Trish’s finishing kick on Victoria at Wrestlemania. Sort of a lame finish if you ask me.

Speaking of Trish, here she comes for her first title defense, against a returning... Ivory.

Main Event: Women’s Title Match - Trish Stratus vs. Ivory

Ivory has a new hair style. She looks pretty hot for someone her age. They start off with some nice wrestling, snapmares, headlocks, hammerlocks, etc. Trish takes control with a DDT and a dropkick. Sloppy looking missed dropkick by Trish into a bridging pin by Ivory for two. Ivory takes control of this one with a body slam and a crappy looking backbreaker for two. Floatover suplex for two by Ivory. Trish hits a head scissors in the corner to take control of this one. She misses the spin kick and Ivory is on her with some brawling. Ivory hits a bulldog for two. Ivory chops away, but trish hits the Stratusfaction for the win. After the match, Victoria runs in and lays Trish out. Ivory makes the save. Ivory and Trish work on Victoria, eventually shoving her out of the ring.

1/4*

Overall:

Pretty boring show all around. The main was pretty uninspiring, and there was a lot of recapping. It was nice to see Christian, he put on a watchable match with Tommy Dreamer. I don’t get what they’re doing with Rodney Mack. He pretty much got his ass kicked by Spike Dudley. Oh well, I don’t care. He sucks anyway... kind of like Heat.

Peter "FakeRazor" Ramoncolor>

As always, you can reach me here.

whacked Out wrestling

http://www.thesmartmarks.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=48'>Archives

Sign in to follow this