TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Potenially awful news

Guest godthedog

ashton as batman is just wrong. he's WAY too much of a teeny pretty boy, and nobody would take him seriously.

the ore i think about pearce as batman, the more i like it. he's got the look, the acting ability, and that dark aura around him.

i don't know how i'd even feel about having the joker in another batman movie.

Guest JMA
i don't know how i'd even feel about having the joker in another batman movie.

Well, his first appearance sucked. Maybe they can get it right this time.

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

Problems with Nicholson's Joker: too old, and not cruel or joyfully sadistic enough.

Guest JMA
what? nicholson was the best thing about that movie.

That isn't saying much. He wasn't playing the Joker, he was just playing "crazy Jack" like he does in other movies. I felt the movie overall was pretty bad. I would have preferred someone like Tim Curry to play the Joker.

Guest godthedog
Problems with Nicholson's Joker: too old, and not cruel or joyfully sadistic enough.

saying "this town needs an enema" right before blowing on a party favor isn't joyfully sadistic enough?

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

Don't get me wrong, he was ok, but I guess I feel the Joker should have been more bloodthirsty.

Jack just made me laugh. I'd prefer the Joker be both funny and sick. Like Pennywise... giving you nightmares but making you laugh almost against your will. Maybe it's asking too much... Batman's just a deep comic book. I doubt it can ever be properly translated to film.

Guest NoCalMike

I like Ashton Kutcher and all, I think he is a really funny guy, but Batman? WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCK is the studio thinking?

Guest Dangerous A

I understand cashing in on hot talent, but you don't put the hot talent in a position where he or she is going to suck. If you do that, the person will no longer be a hot talent.

Guest Youth N Asia
what?  nicholson was the best thing about that movie.

That isn't saying much. He wasn't playing the Joker, he was just playing "crazy Jack" like he does in other movies. I felt the movie overall was pretty bad. I would have preferred someone like Tim Curry to play the Joker.

But Tim Curry isn't the least bit intimidating. Jack was over the top. But it worked.

Guest godthedog
Don't get me wrong, he was ok, but I guess I feel the Joker should have been more bloodthirsty.

Jack just made me laugh. I'd prefer the Joker be both funny and sick. Like Pennywise... giving you nightmares but making you laugh almost against your will. Maybe it's asking too much... Batman's just a deep comic book. I doubt it can ever be properly translated to film.

film tends to be a lot better with depth than comics are, and deal with a lot more complex issues & characters. in terms of depth & character, the potential for making batman at least as complex, if not more complex is there. it's just a matter of finding someone with the willingness and the skill to plumb the depths: someone who's not a hack (i.e., schumacher), and someone whose artistic vision doesn't solely consist of making the sets look cool (i.e., burton).

nolan i think is brilliant, but he's yet to prove himself competent at directing someone else's script, and i think his real strength is in his writing (let's face it, there wasn't any ground-breaking, knock-you-on-your-ass directing in 'memento').

in a perfect world, i'd have david fincher do it. knows how to get what he wants while working inside the studio system, knows how to work with a script, and his visual style would fit the batman universe perfectly, cause it's slick in the darkest, dirtiest way possible, right down to shooting his characters so that their eyes are too dark to be seen. that little detail just screams batman.

Guest El Satanico
what?  nicholson was the best thing about that movie.

But Tim Curry isn't the least bit intimidating.

He isn't?

He was pretty good at being intimidating when he played Pennywise and The Lord of Darkness. He was also intimidating to a lesser degree as Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

He does mostly family friendly movies now, but he can still be a scary guy if the part calls for it. His voice fits evil characters perfectly. There's no doubt in my mind that he could play Joker.

Christopher Walken wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Guest godthedog

walken is scary in a very different way...that completely unanimated way. like john malkovich. joker needs to be as animated as possible.

Guest El Satanico
walken is scary in a very different way...that completely unanimated way. like john malkovich. joker needs to be as animated as possible.

touce

Guest JMA

I still feel Curry would have been the best choice for the Joker. Before Tim Burton came along he was in the top running. Did I mention I really don't like Tim Burton?

Guest Lethargic

Curry? Walkin? Yeah, this is exactly what we need ANOTHER old fat guy. If they start the movies over and do the Joker again they HAVE to keep the character around the same age as Batman so he can come back in the future sequels. It would also help if he had SOME kind of body on him so a fight between him and Batman would seem half ass possible.

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

film tends to be a lot better with depth than comics are, and deal with a lot more complex issues & characters. in terms of depth & character, the potential for making batman at least as complex, if not more complex is there. it's just a matter of finding someone with the willingness and the skill to plumb the depths: someone who's not a hack (i.e., schumacher), and someone whose artistic vision doesn't solely consist of making the sets look cool (i.e., burton).

No doubt, it can be done, I just don't think it will be. At least not anytime soon. I'm no studio exec, but Batman's a pretty big name, and comic movies are doing big business, seems they'd shoot for the mainstream success, and I don't see an appropriately dark, complex Batman movie getting made with money as the primary concern.

Guest godthedog

that's why fincher's the way to go, he knows how to maneuver through the money.

on the subject, the more i think about nolan doing batman the less i like it, cause it's very possible that the system will eat him alive.