TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Best moment in the history of comics

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

What do you think is the greatest moment in the history of comics?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

1. With the old smark board closing down it would be nice if when people come here...there was something for them to talk about.

2.  I am a curious, curious guy.

Guest Sassquatch

Fair enough.

I wish that Scott would've uploaded the old posts into the new board.

The comic book forum had some VERY good threads in there.

"Who's still dead?"

"Who's the best super-hero"

"Byrne Revamp"

"What's happening in comics today?"

"What TPB would you want to see?"

And a couple others.  Of course the names for those threads might be wrong and if anyone knows them (Judas?) then go ahead and correct them.

I loved that forum and to not be able to go back and read some of those is well...sad.

Just kind've sad.

Guest pochorenella

I'm not gonna come out and say it's the greatest moment EVER but in the last few years nothing has had more impact on me than when the Avengers(second series) faced off with Ultron and Thor said: "Ultron. We would have words with thee." or something like that. It literally gave me goosebumps. What a great battle and what a great comic!

And Sasquatch, there's no reason why those threads can't be restarted here. I posted in a few of them and also found them very good. Of course, is sad they deleted them.

Peace.

Guest Dark Lotus

Best moment -  Spider man takes on drugs, 1970s.  Changed the comics code forever.  Before that, drugs were completely taboo, no matter how they were presented.  Marvel decided to challenge the code and got it changed.

Guest raptor

I remember being a naive reader during the Onslaught saga when Marvel announced that the replacements of the Avengers were called the Thunderbolts. I was diggin' the first issue when I got to the last page, and Baron Zemo shows up to reveal the T-Bolts as the MASTERS OF FUCKING EVIL. Classic stuff.

Guest raptor

I remember being a naive reader during the Onslaught saga when Marvel announced that the replacements of the Avengers were called the Thunderbolts. I was diggin' the first issue when I got to the last page, and Baron Zemo shows up to reveal the T-Bolts as the MASTERS OF FUCKING EVIL. Classic stuff.

Guest Sassquatch

Hey poch.

I know we can revive those threads, but...they were special.

They cannot be replaced.

But that doesn't mean that we can't talk about that stuff.

Guest gthureson

Best moment...hrm.   I could give a short list of my mark-out moments in no real order.

1) Kingpin during the 'Born Again' storyline in Daredevil, telling his subordinates not to underestimate Matt Murdock because 'A man without hope is a man without fear.'   I can't really explain it, you'd just have to read the Purgatory issue, and even though he might hate DD...you could tell that Kingpin respected the guy.

2) The issue where Daimon took on the Black Halo for first time in Hellstorm.   I loved that series.  Daimon went from cheeseball '70s Defenders also-ran to the coolest bad-ass on the block after stumbling around in his own series for 11 issues.   Too bad it got canned after 21 issues.

3) The final few panels before Bruce has his heart attack in Dark Knight Returns.   I've never been a big Superman fan, and I marked out huge for Clark getting his ass handed to him.

4) Two-Face acting as both the prosecutor and defence attorney in his trial of Gordon during NML.  I can go back and reread that over and over.

5) The first issue of the 3rd Silver Surfer series, where Ben Grimm casually asks, 'Have you ever tried leaving without the board?'

Guest starvenger

Call me a cynic, but the greatest moment came when, almost collectively, people realized that a special embossed die-cut holofoil chromium cover meant shit if the story wasn't any good.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

It doesn't?

Seriously though...My girlfriend (and I'm in a comic forum?) has to write a paper for her "Heroes" class.

I suggested such things as:  Pro Wrestling (they use arenas...just as in Gladiator Times, and the difference between the guys who are pushed to be "heroes" (Hulk Hogan in the 80's) and what it truly means to be a hero in wrestling (a guy like Foley who gives all he has everynight and puts a guy over big time on the way out.)

OR My favorite person:  Ty Cobb.  In the world of sports "heroism" is often defined by statistics...and thus Cobb would be a hero of the game.  But his personal characteristics keep him from being remembered as such (example:  people that saw them both play readily admitted back in the day that Cobb was better than Ruth...but that's not how they are remembered today...because Cobb was an asshole)  

She finally settled on doing the Watchmen.

So I reread it before I gave it to her to give her some pointers on what to look for and it hit me.  

The greatest moment in comics is the end of the Watchmen...when Ozymandias kills 3 million people to save the world and Rorshac wants to tell the world the truth.  And then Dr. Manhatten has to stop him...and kills him.

Three heroes.  All with different opinions on the right thing to do...and none of them is wrong.

I always beleived that the main characteristic of a hero was to do the right thing...always.

In Watchmen...all the heroes do nothing but the right thing throughout the entire story.  The situation at the end is truly incredible.  Not one is in the wrong...they are all heroes.

I've known people that claimed that any of the three of them was wrong. (Ozymandias for killing.  Rorshak for attempting to undo it.  Dr. Manhatten for not using his powers to fix it.)

But there all right.

So that's my pick.

Guest Xstasy

My favorite moment in comic book history was when Prof X finally got down to the nitty gritty with Magneto.  It included the sheer awesomeness of Wolvie getting his adamantium ripped out, and then Professor X having to live with Mags inside of his head!  Awesome storyline, and let so many cool things happen, what with the Onslaught stuff, etc...

Guest MaskedDanger

Ummmm...X? Are you being serious? Not trying to slam your choice or anything if you were being sincere, but that's seriously your best moment? I think the idea of anything even vaguely Onslaught related being attached to a "best of" list is...well...just curious.

Anyway, I think the best moment in comics (or at least an extremely cool one that comes to mind) occured in Dark Knight Returns. Batman had, a few pages earlier, been pounded into a mound of shit by the leader of the Mutants gang (he got some licks in, but in the end Robin had to save him...). Well, the leader got carted off to jail, but Batman figured he needed to beat him finally and decisively in a very public battle to finally break the morale of the remaining bands of marauding Mutants. So Batman (with Gordon's help) arranges for the leader to escape, emerging from a long pipe into this giant mudhole...where Batman is waiting. The fight they have (or more specifically what Batman says to the Mutant leader during the fight) summarizes TRUE bad-assedness. For example:

Batman: "You don't get it boy. This isn't a mudhole. This is an operating table..."

*grabs the Mutant's leg*

"...and I'm the surgeon."

*snaps the leg*

That's cool.

Another cool one (and my obligatory Alan Moore reference for this post) occured in V for Vendetta. The speech V sends out over England's television and radio station has to be read to be appreciated:

V (speaking to the people of England) : "You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company.

I will, however, be generous. You will be granted two years so show me some improvement in your work. If at the end of that time you are still unwilling to make a go of it . . . you're fired."

The simple fact that V more or less threatens an entire nation was spinetingling. That's another amazing series, by the way; one of the few I've seen that's full of action, brains and an amazing amount of heart. I highly recommend, it if any of you have never read it.

(P.S. My avatar and quote OWN.)

Guest The Masked Yodeler
Anyway, I think the best moment in comics (or at least an extremely cool one that comes to mind) occured in Dark Knight Returns. Batman had, a few pages earlier, been pounded into a mound of shit by the leader of the Mutants gang (he got some licks in, but in the end Robin had to save him...). Well, the leader got carted off to jail, but Batman figured he needed to beat him finally and decisively in a very public battle to finally break the morale of the remaining bands of marauding Mutants. So Batman (with Gordon's help) arranges for the leader to escape, emerging from a long pipe into this giant mudhole...where Batman is waiting. The fight they have (or more specifically what Batman says to the Mutant leader during the fight) summarizes TRUE bad-assedness. For example:

Batman: "You don't get it boy. This isn't a mudhole. This is an operating table..."

*grabs the Mutant's leg*

"...and I'm the surgeon."

*snaps the leg*

That's cool.

I just read Dark Knight Returns for the first time earlier today.  That's good shit.  I'm not sure I completely understand everything it was trying to say, but I'll be chewing it over in my head for quite a while.