TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Maurizio C... Version 2

3 concepts even an idiot could arrange better

2001/02 saw the 3 biggest wrestling concept all in the same federation, the wwf. The WCW Invasion, the NWO and the split (hopefully). one thing in common? nothing worked notwithstanding the semplicity of these angles.

Invasion - the angle wrestling marks dreamed all their lives. Hell, I bought The Wrestler just to read the fantasy matches between the top 10 wcw wrestlers and top 10 wwf wrestlers! the invasion angle started with a bang and ended, well... in a crappy way? yes! Now, people say it's because the wcw talent was just subpar while the wwf fans wanted the hogans, nashes and halls. that's right to one extent. wanna know what went wrong?

A) The wcw wrestlers were just thrown on tv without a background on why they are a "menace". Vince just supposed people remembered Hugh Morrus or Lance Storm.

B) Just a month into the angle and there's already a ppv with wwf wrestlers vs wcw wrestlers. Too bad it was just a IYH-type show and not some big ppv like summerslam or WM. Instead of building up reasons and characters, Vince wen for the easy big buyrate.

C) Stonecold, Dudley Boyz, Tazz, etc... how is this wcw stable supposed to get over if half or more of it is comprised of wwf talent? How if the main Alliance wrestlers are wwf ones with just  different patterns?

D) Why change the wcw and ecw name into the Alliance? That's like praying fans to forget this is wcw we're talking about.

next...

The NWO - it went wrong from the start and was killed just before getting legitimately over with the wwf marks.

A) A month of build-up? what about 3 long months!?

B) Hogan's, Hall's and nash' first speech back into the fed and no smark comment on wcw, flair, the 4 horsemen and politics?

C) ok, the nwo is a poison... 3 old senile guys who talk trash and can't defend themselves from Austin's attacks? What exactly is the menace?

D) again, one month into the angle and Hogan, of course, goes on a babyface rampage leaving hall and nash and sean waltman to represent the menace?!

C) Ok, the nwo should be a rebel organization hired by vince... but they get chosen in the draft pick on RAW? Aren't they separate? More to the point... have you noted that just into a month into the angle the attention has been focused on the goddam split?

The Split - What's the purpouse of it all? it's still the same wwf wrestlers all over again, plus the easy "t-shirt" trick of "piut this banner on and you're from another fed". It's really the same shit with just different names.

your thoughts?

Guest Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Invasion was the dream come to fruition...but mr.dumbassery got his clamy hands around the throat of the wwf...basically i agree on your thought fully...

NWO had no fucking business being in wwf country in the first place...and who's really suprised that Hogan took the first train outa the frying pan to bask in and steal the Rock's fire.

I fully refrain from judgment on the split until 2 months from now.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

The moment Shane was put in charge of Wcw it became a stable of talent rather than a separate promotion.  Then they changed the logo, then they forgot any history the company had, then they didnt even get the top stars associated with the brand, then they made booker t a dumbass.....

The Nwo was doomed from the start as well.

The split has potential IMO, since NOTHING can be worse than the past few months of wwf tv...

Guest dreamer420

The Invasion failed because it was lead by guys like Booker T and DDP who were over in the old WCW but had no chance of being as popular in the WWF.  The Alliance was nothing until Austin and Angle were thrown in to make it look like more of a threat but it was too late by that point.  WCW was all ready dead and buried.

that's why I said it was too early for a ppv since no wcw wrestler was over with the wwf crowd. build the talent. Of course, now with the split, the only positive is that midcarders like rvd and mr.perfect will get a chance to shine and maybe, one day, have a show stealing performance againsta a wrestler from the other faction.

Guest chirs3

Invasion... For what it was, I enjoyed the InVasion.

It could have been a hell of a lot better... but I enjoyed it anyway.

The NWO... ugh... no comment.

The Split... if they can really keep Vince off Raw and Flair off SD, to end this "fued", and if they develop independent storylines that aren't about spilled coffee, then it'll be good enough.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

The Invasion should have waited till they had Flair to be the leader...and, even though it pains me to say it, Hall and Nash.

The nWo shouldn't have been brought back. They could have been good in the Invasion but not as incarnation 5 million of the nWo.

I'm actually looking forward to the split. Hopefully it will be used to push deserving wrestlers and blood new talent.

The reason why the Invasion angle didn't work was because someone on the "creative" team pushed the panic button a little too soon.  At the start of the Invasion, WCW was a promotion that had faces and heels.  Booker T, in my opinion, could have gotten over as the leader of the promotion if they gave him a little more time to wrestle.  The first WCW match on Raw was terrible because both wrestlers were rusty.  They hadn't been in the ring for three months and were just put out there without any ringwork to knock the rust off.  Though if you look at the current situation of wrestling, the quality isn't much different.  Now the match on Smackdown with Billy Kidman v.s Shane Helms and on Heat with O'Haire,Palumbo v.s Kanyon, Stasiak, the crowd was getting more into the WCW characters.  When the creative staff should have been putting out more matches like those, they instead pushed the panic button and made WCW into a heel stable.  With a heel stable the Invasion turned into a face v.s heel feud.  As a result, WCW was turned into an angle that will be killed off, instead of separating into a different promotion.