TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"Windshield" Woman found guilty of murder

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

I've been following this case since I first heard about it last year. Bitch deserved what she got...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003Jun26.html

FORT WORTH, Texas - A former nurse's aide was convicted of murder Thursday for hitting a homeless man with her car and driving home with his mangled body lodged in the windshield.

Jurors deliberated less than two hours in the case of Chante Jawan Mallard, 27, who faces life in prison on the conviction.

The sentencing phase was to start later Thursday. Mallard also faces up to 10 years for tampering with evidence, a charge to which she pleaded guilty earlier this week.

Mallard's legal team never disputed that she killed Gregory Biggs, 37, in the predawn hours of Oct. 26, 2001, after a night of drinking, smoking pot and taking Ecstasy.

But they said the death was an accident - not murder.

"Find her guilty of what she's really guilty of, failure to stop and render aid," defense attorney Jeff Kearney said.

Prosecutors said she should pay the price for taking a man's life and trying to hide it.

"She stole his life," prosecutor Richard Alpert said, pointing to Mallard as she sat solemnly next to her attorney. "She stole his hope of anyone else saving his life. That's murder."

The defense said it was Mallard's friend, Clete Deneal Jackson, who talked her into dumping Biggs' body and concealing the crime. Biggs' mutilated body was found the next day in a park.

Prosecutors said Mallard could have stopped for help at a nearby fire or police station or all-night store - or even called her brother, who is a Fort Worth firefighter with medical training.

They said Mallard, a certified nursing assistant who had worked in retirement homes, didn't check Biggs' pulse or try to stop the bleeding as he groaned and gasped.

In her statement to police, Mallard said she cried and repeatedly apologized to Biggs as he moaned after she lowered her garage door. She said she was too scared to call for help.

During the three-day trial, Dr. Nizam Peerwani, the Tarrant County medical examiner who performed the autopsy, testified that Biggs probably lived two hours after being hit and could have survived with medical treatment.

Biggs, a bricklayer who had been living in a Fort Worth homeless shelter after losing his truck and home nearly two years earlier, bled to death and had his lower left leg nearly amputated by the crash, Peerwani said.

Biggs' injuries were aggravated when Mallard stopped briefly after hitting him, trying in vain to smash out more of the windshield and remove his bloody body, and when she continued her journey home, Peerwani said.

Max Courtney, a forensic expert, testified that blood spatters in Mallard's car indicated that Biggs wheezed or coughed and gripped the passenger door pocket.

But Vincent Di Maio, the Bexar County chief medical examiner who testified for the defense, said Biggs was instantly knocked unconscious and that he probably didn't speak or move inside the car. He was the only defense witness.

When Biggs' body was found Oct. 27, 2001, in a park, authorities thought he had been hit by a car. But they had no leads until four months later, when one of Mallard's acquaintances called police and said Mallard talked about the incident at a party.

Officers went to Mallard's house with a search warrant and found the bloodstained, dented car. They also found the passenger seat burned in the back yard.

Jackson, Mallard's friend, testified that Mallard took him to her garage about six hours after she hit Biggs.

Jackson said he removed Biggs' body that night and, with the help of his cousin, Herbert Tyrone Cleveland, dumped it in the park. Jackson and Cleveland, in exchange for their testimony, pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence. Jackson received a 10-year sentence; Cleveland, nine years.

Biggs' son testified that his father took medication for bipolar disorder and mild schizophrenia, and had been on the streets for a few years. The two lost touch about four months before his death.

"I would say he was very hardworking," said Brandon Biggs, 20. "He was very friendly, although he didn't have many friends."

Guest Ripper

Some one should hit her with a car...blah, blah, blah...leave her in garage...blah blah blah...dump in park...

[just to get the ball rolling and get a rise out of Dr. Tom]

Edited by Ripper

Guest Anglesault

Honestly, I don't know how the hel I wuld have reacted to hitting a guy like that.

Of course, I would react better than that, because I wouldn't be under the influence of everything on earth.

She should fry.

BTW, wasn't this an episode of CSI?

"I would say he was very hardworking," said Brandon Biggs, 20. "He was very friendly,

And he raised such a caring, compassionate son.

Fuckhead.

Guest DrTom

Feel the BLOODTHIRST~!

Fry her, sez I. What she did was torture and murder a man, and that should cost anyone his (or her, in this sad case) life.

Guest Downhome

Thank God, I've been watching this since day 1 also, the ass deserves whatever she gets. As far as I'm concerened, she should get life simply based on being a stupid bitch, much less what she actually did.

Guest G. HOOD

It's not computin', y'all. I been high before. I been drunk before. I done made mistakes. I think we all have after wild X-Mas offic parties. But simple human decency and compassion ought to outweigh whatever troulbe you gon git in with drugs or whatever, when you hit a guy, homeless or not, with your goddamn car.

I seriously don't care if I got a hot laptop, three stolen gats, five hoes and about 12 bricks of hard white in my trunk, I can't dead a innocent man and then try to cover it up, nephew. That's just wrong and somebody that cold-blooded and heartless, high or not, deserves to get got they damn self. I can't blame ol girl for being high or being scared, but damn use some common sense. I'll take a DUI over a murder bid any ol day of the fucking week, yaknowwhati'msayin'?

Guest Anglesault
I seriously don't care if I got a hot laptop, three stolen gats, five hoes and about 12 bricks of hard white in my trunk, I can't dead a innocent man and then try to cover it up, nephew

:huh:

Guest Downhome
Reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyyy getting annoying.

If you are talking about that gimmick poster, I agree. I don't even read anything he posts anymore. To me it's just as bad as trying to read those morons talk in AOL chat rooms, etc...

Guest G. HOOD

I guess you guys is all smart and stuff, so nobody else can talk. Whatever.

Guest HungryJack

hey DH, you might be able to cogently string together a sentence, but that doesnt make what you talk ABOUT interesting in the least. Nor does it make your opinion worth any more than any other poster around here.

Guest MrRant

Now if only G.HOOD used Hizzle My Nizzle, Fo Shizzel.... then I would have respect for a playa.

Guest Downhome
hey DH, you might be able to cogently string together a sentence, but that doesnt make what you talk ABOUT interesting in the least. Nor does it make your opinion worth any more than any other poster around here.

Excuse you? I just can't stand certain writing styles, so I choose not to read it. Is that a problem for you?

Guest G. HOOD

"People say my theories is backwards

I tell'em sincerely it's clearly you hearin' me backwards

I tell'em I'm great but still I need practice

I tell'em to wait, go and come back quick

they don't understand me." - Juelz Santana

Guest Spicy McHaggis

One can only hope.

EDIT: The moron got 60 years. 50 for murder and 10 for evidence tampering.

Edited by Spicy McHaggis

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

I wonder if she'll be doing all of that time or not.

I might have shown some pity had she not left him there to die and spent the next few months covering it up.

Have fun in the Big House...

Guest ant_7000

G. Hood I gotcha wit the slang, but she was high fuck, im surpised after smoking some blunts, poppin X, and drinkin liquor she lived. She got paranoid like high people do sometimes.

Guest Vyce

Anyone know if she got the possibility of parole?

If so, than I'm slightly less happy with the verdict, as she'll probably only have to serve a third of her sentence before she's released.

Guest ant_7000

^^I heard she's eligible for parole in 25 years. Thats the rule in Texas the person is eligible for parole when they serve half of their prison term.

Guest El Satanico

bums...always jumping in the way

Run over a few more of them to teach the whole lot of them to watch where they are walking, standing or sleeping.

Guest The Metal Maniac

They shoulda tacked on some DWI charges, as well as charges of owning & using illegal drugs, just to keep her in jail that much longer.

What gets me is that it seems like they tried to use the fact that she was on drugs to get them to lighten up on her. The FUCK? She was on drugs. I don't see how people could possibly see that as making the crime any LESS horrible.