TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest raptor

Reviews 3/27

Guest raptor

Avengers Icons: Tigra #1 (of 4): I picked this up on a hunch (being that recent B-level relaunches have been good) and wasn't dissapointed. I went in expecting nothing, but got a good exposition piece that makes you feel sympathetic towards Tigra (even if you've never read the character like me). (3/4)

Howard the Duck #3 (of 6): The funniest book on the market. Steve Gerber is still in touch with the world's climate, and his satire is as biting and hilarious as ever. The only downside is Glen Fabry's art. I liked it, just not as much as Winslade's. Plus, you can never go wrong with boob. (3/4)

Ultimates #3: I vowed to give his series a chance (after being dissapointed by the first two issues), and it's made me happy about that decision. The Ultimates finally form (with Captain America), and a reference is made to "that thunder god." I hate Cap's character, but this version has me contemplaing picking up Cap's new Marvel Knights relaunch. (4/4)

Wolverine/Hulk #2( of 4): Much better than the first issue, as Wolverine finally stops pussy-fotting around the HUlk and lets him have it. Po's ordeal is getting far more interestin, also. (3/4)

X-Men Evolution #4: Rogue takes the spotlight in a way that her Icons series should have. The X-Men learning CPR (and Rogue's subsequnt tantrum) is a fun scene as well. The way this series plays up the school setting makes it well worth the read. (3/4)

Guest areacode212

Some quick reviews:

Catwoman #5 - I was a little apprehensive when Darwyn Cooke left the title after the first arc, since much of the book's character and tone came from his distinctive style. Happily, Brad Grey's style isn't too dissimilar (though not as great as Cooke), so the title has managed to keep a consistent feel. He's good at drawing faces and has given Selina a somewhat strange, fifties-romance-comic look. Anyway, the story is good, and it introduces what I assume is a new villain ("he's a big donor to the mayor's re-election campaign fund") for the series. Slam Bradley, from the Detective Comics backup that helped launch this series, returns to Selina's life. And a bit more of Selina's character is explored. 3/4

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #12 - Hey, two kick-ass issues of Tangled Web in a row! While last month's issue is still my favorite of the series, this is just-as-funny story about being embarassed by your mom/dad (in this case Frog-Man). I chuckled a lot while reading this. There might be some continuity issues here--wasn't the "first meeting" of Spidey and Eugene Colorito already shown in the 80's? Oh, well, this was still a terrific issue with great, comic visuals from Fegredo. 4/4

Batman #601 - Grr. It looks like "Fugitive" will be a long, drawn-out subplot running through the Bat-titles, as opposed to being the "A" story, like "Murderer" was. In this case, the "Fugitive" storyline is barely touched on, as the issue mainly centers on Batman vs. some new pyro supervillain. I've been enjoying Brubaker's work on this title, but not as much as Rucka's Detective. Batman feels a bit too much like the pre-NML Batman stories. They're not *bad*, but they're not too interesting, either. And what's Sasha up to? Alfred could have stayed in Robin for all I care, but we'll see what the writers have in store for him. 2/4.

More later...