TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

NHL Free Agency 2003

Guest redbaron51
The Leafs should do what the Avs are doing this year. Try and get some big name players signed down to 1 year contracts (maybe Fedorov) and make a run for it this year. They have a lot of good, young players coming through the system (they had the most players in the World Junior tournament last year and have only traded away one of them [brad Boyes, in the Nolan deal]), so I'm not TOO worried about the future.

i agree that they have great talent in the rookies, but they don't give them enough time to develop them, unless the big names get hurt, or just plain out stinking it up.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

What is my team doing?

I'm used to the Sabres having a fire sale and then only bringing in people who can play more defense.

This week they got Delmore for a 3rd round pick (Delmore as a defensemen outscoring most of our forwards), and then traded a defenseman for Drury.

Are we actually going to try to score this year?

Kotalik-Drury-Satan...MAKE IT A LINE!!!

Guest Vern Gagne
I'm predicting Colorado wins the Presidents' next year. I hate to jump the gun, but a team with THAT much firepower is going to do fairly well.

That really means nothing. Ottawa won the President's Cup last season and didn't win the Cup.

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager and head coach Pat Quinn announced Friday that the club has agreed to terms on a one year contract with unrestricted free agent defenceman Bryan Marchment. In keeping with club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed but TSN has learned that it's worth $2 million.

TSN.ca

Guest starvenger
Toronto Maple Leafs general manager and head coach Pat Quinn announced Friday that the club has agreed to terms on a one year contract with unrestricted free agent defenceman Bryan Marchment. In keeping with club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed but TSN has learned that it's worth $2 million.

The good: Toronto players don't have to worry about ACL injuries cuased by Marchment; Marchment can actually play some D (albeit with 'occasional' borderline tactics); Tie Domi may longer be the most hated player on the team

The bad: Everyone else hates the Leafs THAT much more; Marchment may spend some time in the pressbox due to said borderline tactics; Tie Domi may longer be the most hated player on the team

Actually I don't think Marchment was suspended for a dirty hit last year. Can anyone verify?

Minor News:

The Tampa Tribune reports in its Sunday edition that unrestricted free agent Vaclav Prospal has accepted a deal from an undisclosed team - believed to be the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim or Atlanta Thrashers - and will not return to the Lightning next season.

Lightning general manager Jay Feaster told the Tribune that the agreement is likely for five years at $20 million to $25 million.

An agreement between the Lightning and Prospal's agent that would allow Tampa Bay to match any offer was taken off the table by Rich Winter on Monday. Because teams were not willing to make an offer that could be matched, Winter reportedly asked Feaster for a final offer with a Wednesday morning deadline.

The original offer the Lightning tendered Prospal was five years at $2.5 million per year. He raised the offer to five years at $2.75 million per year, including incentive bonuses that made it $3.25 million per year.

"I spoke with [Winter] late in the afternoon, and that's when he told me that there were two teams offering [Prospal] deals that were so far off what we were offering that there was no sense in offering a right to match," Feaster told the paper. "I was told he had accepted a deal that was worth $20 to $25 million and that the deal would be signed within a day or two."

TSN.ca

Guest treble charged

Waitasecond.

So someone's paying Vaclav F'n Prospal upwards of $4 million dollars a year?

That's insane.

Guest redbaron51

TSN.ca

you know what will be funny.

if he blew out his ACL on a cheap hit.

Guest CanadianChris

TSN.ca

I'd laugh my ass off. Marchment's nothing more than a thug. I despise him almost as much as I despised Ulf Samuelsson.

Guest LaParkaMarka
Waitasecond.

So someone's paying Vaclav F'n Prospal upwards of $4 million dollars a year?

That's insane.

4 million is pretty odd. I was thinking Prospal would go for closer to 2.5-3 million. Ah well, guess it isn't the Canucks that have him, which is too bad.

Guest starvenger

You know, I've always wondered how he hasn't done that yet.

I'm really, really, really happy that they signed Marchment. And if I keep saying that I may eventually believe it...

Guest treble charged

I think the Leafs plan is to take out the knees of every one of their opponents and win the Cup by default.

Works for me.

Guest starvenger
I think the Leafs plan is to take out the knees of every one of their opponents and win the Cup by default.

Works for me.

Can Jeff Gilooly skate?

NEW YORK (AP) - Greg de Vries gave up the comfort of playing defence for the Colorado Avalanche to become part of the rebuilding process with the New York Rangers.

On Monday, the 30-year-old free agent signed a four-year, $13-million US deal. He leaves behind such high-profile mentors as Rob Blake and Adam Foote.

``I really enjoyed my time in Colorado,'' de Vries said. ``Maybe I thought it would be time to get out on my own and try to take a little more pressure on myself.''

De Vries, one of the top catches on this year's unrestricted free-agent market, will earn $4.2 million next season, $3.1 million in 2004-05, $3 million in 2005-06 and $2.7 million in 2006-07.

He became an attractive option on the free-agent market after making only $1.375 last season as a 10-year NHL veteran. By earning less than the $1.79 million average in the NHL, he was able to become a Group V free agent.

Rangers coach and general manager Glen Sather signed de Vries when he was the GM in Edmonton. Sather made de Vries a top priority once the free-agency season began July 1.

``He's a strong skater and he's a strong character,'' Sather said. ``He's a guy that's continually got better. He can play tough and he can play smart.

``He just filled in all the little niches we needed.''

The Avalanche made an offer in September to retain de Vries, but were not major players for him once he became a free agent.

``He was the ideal guy for the situation we have,'' Sather said. ``He fit into our budget. He was the type of person that I was looking for.''

Last season, de Vries had a career-high 32 points - including six goals. He spent five seasons with the Avalanche after a stint in Edmonton. His plus-15 rating, while playing all 82 Avalanche games, would have been the best mark on the Rangers.

He also added two goals in Colorado's first-round playoff loss to Minnesota. New York missed the post-season for the sixth straight year.

When Sather took over as Rangers coach last season, his first game was at home against Colorado right before the all-star break. De Vries made it an unpleasant return for Sather by spoiling his New York coaching debut with a game-winning goal 2:29 into overtime.

``I saw him in the hallway after, and he didn't look too happy with me,'' de Vries said.

Sather is still trying to re-sign top defencemen Brian Leetch - one of the few remaining marquee players on the free-agent market - and Boris Mironov. Sather said that the signing of de Vries wouldn't have any effect on negotiations with those players.

``We need seven top defencemen in this game,'' Sather said. ``What has happened with Greg being there, it just eliminates one spot we're trying to fill.''

The Rangers have a proposal on the table to Leetch, one that was met with a counterproposal that Sather said he wasn't willing to agree on. Bringing back Leetch, who has spent his entire likely Hall of Fame career with the Rangers, is something Sather wants to do.

``It's just an ongoing process of trying to make the deal,'' Sather said.

New York's 42-year-old captain, Mark Messier, still has not told Sather whether he will be back for his 25th NHL season or choose to retire. The same goes for 36-year-old goalie Mike Richter, whose career is in doubt following a concussion early last season that forced him to sit out the rest of the way.

TSN.ca

Guest redbaron51

I want to see the Rangers at least make the playoffs.

Its getting stale now that they don't get the playoffs for the past 7 years

Guest starvenger

I dunno, to me it's always fun to see the Rangers, with all their high-priced talent, continue to fail to make the playoffs.

Guest MaxPower27

So de Vries leaves a team that has a pretty good shot at winning something for a team that probably won't make the playoffs?

Smart guy.

Guest nl5xsk1
So de Vries leaves a team that has a pretty good shot at winning something for a team that probably won't make the playoffs?

Smart guy.

I'm guessing that the idea of making enough money in a few years to last the rest of his lifetime outweighs the idea of winning another Cup, because he did win one a few years ago, right?

If I've been to the mountaintop already, I'm taking the guaranteed money. Plus, NY is more fun to live in than Denver.

Vancouver - Vancouver Canucks President and General Manager Brian Burke announced today that the Canucks have re-signed goaltender Dan Cloutier to a one year contract. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“We are pleased to have Dan under contract for another year,” said Brian Burke. “Dan has been a very important part of our team’s growth over the last few seasons and we believe he will continue to take strides and have another strong season again this year.”

Cloutier, 27, played in 57 games with Vancouver last year, recording a career high 33 wins, with 16 losses, seven ties, two shutouts and a 2.42 goals-against average. Cloutier’s season was highlighted by being named NHL Player of the Month for November, when he posted a record of 11-1-0, a save percentage of .920, and a G.A.A. of 2.15. He was also named NHL Player of the Week, for the period of February 10-16.

The 6-foot-1, 195 pound native of Mont-Laurier, Quebec, was acquired by Vancouver on February 7th, 2001 from Tampa Bay in exchange for Adrian Aucoin and a second round draft pick. In 245 career regular season games, Cloutier has posted a record of 90 wins, 110 losses and 27 ties, with 10 shutouts and a 2.74 G.A.A. Cloutier has also played in 22 NHL Playoff games over the last three seasons with Vancouver, posting a record of nine wins, 12 losses and a 3.43 G.A.A. Cloutier was originally drafted by the NY Rangers, 26th overall, in the 1994 Entry Draft.

TSN.ca

Guest redbaron51

the only way Cloutier is going to get any good, is to have an experiance back up or a solid goalie coach

Guest starvenger

ACC201 - Toronto Thuganomics continues as the Leafs have apparently resigned FW/D Wade Belak to a multiyear deal...

Guest CanadianChris

I guess they figure that every guy whose knee they take out will have an entire year to heal, what with the pending lockout and all.

Guest fairtoflair7

Isles signed Mariuz Czerkawski to a 1 yr deal. UGhhhhh. Maybe he will go back to his old ways. He better not keep the up and comers down in the minors

Guest starvenger
I guess they figure that every guy whose knee they take out will have an entire year to heal, what with the pending lockout and all.

Nonono, Belak is a fighter. He's taken over the primary "enforcer" duties for the Leafs as Tie Domi was concentrating more on his offensive skills.

What, like you NEED me to add a joke there?

btw the 2003-2004 schedule was released today... only 3 months to go...

Guest starvenger
Isles signed Mariuz Czerkawski to a 1 yr deal. UGhhhhh. Maybe he will go back to his old ways. He better not keep the up and comers down in the minors

It's not like he did that in Montreal...

Guest Lightning Flik

:lol: Well geez. They (the team), lose one guy, but pick him up in return? Quite interesting, I'll say...

Then again, that says something about Detroit if he's going to do that.